QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Animes in HD?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » Animes in HD? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  ]
baka ka!
Kodama

Registration Date: 12.15.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by baka ka! Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Artoo
quote:
Originally posted by baka ka!
I would just like to mention again (in case anyone missed it) that Blu-Ray and standard DVDs have different region codes. In BR, Japan and America have the same region code (Region A), so Japanese BR's will play in American players and American BR's will play in Japanese players.

Indeed. But if you're in Europe the region is different to Japan for blu-ray (Europe is region B).

Good for Americans bad for Europeans

That's a good point. I guess I wasn't thinking about the European market. Despite Blu-Ray's "strict" region codes, I've seen several region free Blu-Rays coming out. So hopefully it won't be a that big of a problem.

05.02.2008, 02:05 PM baka ka! is offline   Profile for baka ka! Add baka ka! to your buddy list AIM Screenname: paradeofsickos YIM Screenname: SteveMcConaghy
Artoo
Warawara

Registration Date: 07.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Artoo Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank

I've never had a problem with European R2 and USA R1 DVDs being incompatible.

Europe is a big market, Japanese anime companies will sell licenses to European publishers to distribute anime in Region B blu-rays I'm sure of it.

I'd rather not wait 5 years or more for some European distributor to decide to release a worse copy than they had Japan to start with though.

I've never had much of a problem with regions on DVD, but only because of region-free players and then later computer software that bypassed the region coding. I do hope that Blu-ray will be similarly trivial to watch, because [legal] digital downloads with DRM are going to be worse than region coding, in terms of preventing people getting to see films from other countries, IMHO.

Post last edited by Artoo on 05.02.2008, 02:07 PM.

05.02.2008, 02:07 PM Artoo is offline   Profile for Artoo Add Artoo to your buddy list
baka ka!
Kodama

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by baka ka! Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank

I've never had a problem with European R2 and USA R1 DVDs being incompatible.

Europe is a big market, Japanese anime companies will sell licenses to European publishers to distribute anime in Region B blu-rays I'm sure of it.

I'd rather not wait 5 years or more for some European distributor to decide to release a worse copy than they had Japan to start with though.

I've never had much of a problem with regions on DVD, but only because of region-free players and then later computer software that bypassed the region coding. I do hope that Blu-ray will be similarly trivial to watch, because [legal] digital downloads with DRM are going to be worse than region coding, in terms of preventing people getting to see films from other countries, IMHO.

I agree with you on the digital download thing. I don't see it taking off the way most people are predicting. I don't know how the rest of the world is, but high speed internet isn't even available to everyone in America yet, so there is no way it could fully take off here.

I think all this discussion on Ghibli Blu-Ray releases is a little moot, seeing as how they haven't *officially* announced any plans to release or re-release any of their movies in high def.

05.02.2008, 02:13 PM baka ka! is offline   Profile for baka ka! Add baka ka! to your buddy list AIM Screenname: paradeofsickos YIM Screenname: SteveMcConaghy
Artoo
Warawara

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Artoo Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Despite Blu-Ray's "strict" region codes, I've seen several region free Blu-Rays coming out. So hopefully it won't be a that big of a problem.

Yeah, or hopefully the main offenders will see sense (Fox, I'm looking at you!) and give it up.

Buena Vista / Disney etc seem to have a fairly even split for region coding right now, so I don't think we can really take much from that as far as what willhappen with Ghibli Blu-rays (I believe the Disney-owned Buena Vista Home Entertainment are responsible for Japanese Ghibli releases).

05.02.2008, 02:15 PM Artoo is offline   Profile for Artoo Add Artoo to your buddy list
baka ka!
Kodama

quote:
quote:
Despite Blu-Ray's "strict" region codes, I've seen several region free Blu-Rays coming out. So hopefully it won't be a that big of a problem.

Yeah, or hopefully the main offenders will see sense (Fox, I'm looking at you!) and give it up.

Buena Vista / Disney etc seem to have a fairly even split for region coding right now, so I don't think we can really take much from that as far as what willhappen with Ghibli Blu-rays (I believe the Disney-owned Buena Vista Home Entertainment are responsible for Japanese Ghibli releases).

I've also noticed that European releases are seeing a lot more region free releases than we are. Even from studios like Fox and Disney, who were orignally really big on Blu-Ray's region coding. I'm actually a little confused about that... they went with BR over HD DVD because of the region coding, but now they're releasing region free Blu-Rays?

05.02.2008, 02:18 PM baka ka! is offline   Profile for baka ka! Add baka ka! to your buddy list AIM Screenname: paradeofsickos YIM Screenname: SteveMcConaghy
Artoo
Warawara

quote:

I agree with you on the digital download thing. I don't see it taking off the way most people are predicting. I don't know how the rest of the world is, but high speed internet isn't even available to everyone in America yet, so there is no way it could fully take off here.

Yes, I completely agree. I do think downloads are the future, but not for a while, and I think Blu-ray will have a perfectly successful run as a format, albeit maybe not ever as massive as the shift to DVD from VHS was/is. I think the UK is similar to the US in terms of internet access, (i.e. not terrible but not cutting edge either).

Even people who live in areas with slow internet speeds can order off Amazon or *gasp* go to a shop (store)!

quote:
I think all this discussion on Ghibli Blu-Ray releases is a little moot, seeing as how they haven't *officially* announced any plans to release or re-release any of their movies in high def.

Yeah, but I'm all nervous about getting my HD Ghibli fix! It's ok for you, you know they're going to be fine in the US!

I love Ghibli and I want their films in the best quality possible, as soon as possible. The brief clips in the Oga Kazuo Blu-ray were very tantalising (e.g. it looks awesome!).

05.02.2008, 02:22 PM Artoo is offline   Profile for Artoo Add Artoo to your buddy list
Artoo
Warawara

quote:
I've also noticed that European releases are seeing a lot more region free releases than we are. Even from studios like Fox and Disney, who were orignally really big on Blu-Ray's region coding. I'm actually a little confused about that... they went with BR over HD DVD because of the region coding, but now they're releasing region free Blu-Rays?

Well, I haven't' seen that but then I'm usually checking the region coding status of American discs . I would guess that if that's the case it's to do with them not caring too much once they're already out in Region A, and maybe the weak dollar meaning there is no compelling financial reason when Region B Blu-rays generally cost a lot more than the Region A editions (certainly true when you compare the price of UK releases with the US ones anyway). Having said that, it used to be just as true that Region 1 DVDs were cheaper than Region 2 DVDs, so I think there must be a little more to it.

Arguably they are trying to be a little bit gentler with it this time round to discourage people bothering to get region-free players, maybe? I don't know, but I think as soon as one geek finds a title they can't play they'll be onto it, so I think they're misguided if that's the rationale.

05.02.2008, 02:42 PM Artoo is offline   Profile for Artoo Add Artoo to your buddy list
Super Dollfie
Kodama

Registration Date: 02.12.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Super Dollfie Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ghibli have also released, not one of their own films, but the Ghibli Museum Library title Azur et Asmar on Blu-ray (region A and with English subtitles). http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/movies.php?genre=animation and http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/special/new_med...tml?genre=anime are worth keeping an eye on for North American and Japanese Blu-ray Discs of anime and other animation. Have also just discovered http://www.asianblurayguide.com which has a section just for anime, listing releases from around the world.

Post last edited by Super Dollfie on 07.20.2008, 02:20 PM.

07.19.2008, 04:11 PM Super Dollfie is offline   Profile for Super Dollfie Add Super Dollfie to your buddy list Homepage of Super Dollfie
[  «    1  2  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks