QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Girls!!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » Girls!! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  46  47  48  49  50  51  52  53  54  ...    »  ]
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Oh come now, as if Miyazaki's original character design looked remotely Japanese. She has green hair for goodness sake!

I really like it. It looks pretty much as I imagine a more realistic San would look. And the way so much movement is conveyed through the hair, the earrings, etc. is really cool.

12.23.2011, 01:25 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Orphic Okapi
Oh come now, as if Miyazaki's original character design looked remotely Japanese. She has green hair for goodness sake!

But if you are going to throw the original away and spend effort on a complete rework with realistic features, why make her look like an American?

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

12.23.2011, 01:40 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think this is a girl, but whatever gender they are, I adore the details.

LOVE the lighting in this one.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 02.26.2012, 03:17 PM.

02.26.2012, 03:08 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Awww...

03.12.2012, 04:02 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Haruhi-san...

03.12.2012, 07:55 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Indeed, acting all shy and cute.

She's adorable when she isn't acting psychotic.

03.13.2012, 08:17 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i think one of the reason that most of the japanese animators creates girls like that is because they still think girls are a object only for entertainment. This was from japanese[mostly asian] cultural outlook. I think Studio Ghibli did a great work in this area . Many people do not actually notice that all of the studio ghibli heroines are Lovely not sexy and they are cute but not adorable too.Because they are strong in mind. It is actually the comparison of lovable and likeable . You will love a ghibli character for their work not their look, whereas you like those character just for their look[i think it is a bad practice for animators]. for example: you love nausicaa for her work and will want to be like her[but i think most of us will not want to be her boyfriend] on the other hand most of us will want to be boyfriend with those girls[it is the reason why animators makes them that way] It is the case for general anime. They actually make the female characters for enjoyment.
[it is totally my opinion correct me if i am wrong]

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 03.14.2012, 03:40 PM.

03.14.2012, 03:29 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

No, because I more or less agree with you. Too much 'fan service' in some of the anime and manga I see. IMO, it detracts from the story. but...

And a big BUT here... (no pun intended) This is done because it sells product and that is the whole idea behind any business, sell your product, so I don't necessarily fault these animaters and artists. If it doesn't sell then they don't eat...

As for your opinion, everyone is entitled to their own, so it is not my place to correct you if I don't agree with you. I just post MY opinion...

Of course, your opinion is wrong, heh heh heh...

03.14.2012, 09:27 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by husky51 Of course, your opinion is wrong, heh heh heh...

lolwut

I like Shizuku. Seiji be damned.

By the way, it's not just animators who think of girls as "just" entertainment. Consciously or not, most girls themselves do the same, and you can especially see that in the way some of them dress and act.

Kinda makes you wonder if sexual equality is what women in general really want at all.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

03.15.2012, 01:12 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
saviour2012
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
Of course, your opinion is wrong, heh heh heh...

hahhahhah('')('')('')('')

man you should explain a little bit more

and husky i always admire you because of your young heart. You are the perfect example of sophie in howl's moving castle .[i know you are not 90]
people should learn from you how to be young in heart even when you are old. please tell me your secret.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 03.15.2012, 03:12 AM.

03.15.2012, 03:07 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
saviour2012
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
By the way, it's not just animators who think of girls as "just" entertainment. Consciously or not, most girls themselves do the same, and you can especially see that in the way some of them dress and act.

Kinda makes you wonder if sexual equality is what women in general really want at all.

+3 for the opinion

i really feel the same when i see some girls and models and actresses and manymore

03.15.2012, 03:14 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by saviour2012
quote:

+3 for the opinion

i really feel the same when i see some girls and models and actresses and manymore

You cannot judge a woman's wish for equality based upon the way she dresses. Just no.

I could go outside dressed in the tiniest of skirts and a boob tube (not that I do, but that's beside the point) but that would not mean I still don't wish to recieve equal treatment and respect as my male counterpart. I know plenty of intelligent, strong-minded girls who sometimes dress in what many would consider 'innappropriate' ways, simply because they enjoy their bodies - and yes it's probably for the attention.

But let me make this clear for you. Women want sexual equality. There are ignorant girls who don't truly understand what equality means, who enjoy playing the weak and vulnerable card, but even these girls want respect.

It is men who often (not always) think women are there for solely their entertainment. Women dress the way they want to, most women who dress in overly-outgoing ways often do so because it makes them feel good to be desired - it boosts confidence.

Perhaps this is an over the top response, but Roar what you've said genuinely offends me. I'm sure that wasn't the intention, but I find it extremely demeaning.

03.15.2012, 12:41 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Actually, it's exactly the "feel good to be desired" part that confuses most men.

You don't want men to look at you simply as sexual objects, yet the method used to attract men is precisely that: sexual attraction. Seriously, VERY confusing to us guys.

I'm pretty sure that the "equality" most women seek is different than what several (a lot, actually) of women rights activists claim, and that is the right to stand on equal ground PROFESSIONALLY (as in career).

Hmm, new topic for discussion in GD?

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

03.15.2012, 12:51 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I can understand the confusion to a point. There is a difference between being wanting to be found attractive and wanting to be seen as a purely sexual object. Just like men, women want to be seen as attractive by the opposite sex - we put time and effort into looking our best for this reason. It feels good to be found attractive, and it often leads to the beginning of romantic possibilities. We don't, however, want this to be the sole point upon which we are judged as beings. I would like to be found sexy, but I am not a sex object. It seems obvious to women that just because we can be sexy, does not mean we are little more than walking sexual organs. It's confusing to us how men don't get that.

Also, I think it's pretty instinctual that as humans our relationships spring from initial moments of attraction. This attraction wanes or rises depending on the personality that follows, of course.

And I think if you asked any woman whether she wanted to be treated equal to men in all ways be that socially, professionally etc.

And yep, maybe that would be good! It's interesting to see people's views on it.

03.15.2012, 12:59 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Thread has been started...

03.15.2012, 01:15 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

topic

03.15.2012, 02:44 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

quote:
Actually, it's exactly the "feel good to be desired" part that confuses most men.

You don't want men to look at you simply as sexual objects, yet the method used to attract men is precisely that: sexual attraction. Seriously, VERY confusing to us guys.

yes,you are right. the problem is with girls that they want to look sexy at the same time they want to be treated politely.

quote:
Originally posted by Nausicaa_Cat
There is a difference between being wanting to be found attractive and wanting to be seen as a purely sexual object. Just like men, women want to be seen as attractive by the opposite sex - we put time and effort into looking our best for this reason. It feels good to be found attractive, and it often leads to the beginning of romantic possibilities. We don't, however, want this to be the sole point upon which we are judged as beings.

now look at the following pictures

smart looking
man

smart looking
woman

now look at the following pitures

pictures of men who want to look sexy

pictures of women who want to look sexy

now will you please tell me how in the world the men are supposed to feel the same way towards the first woman to the second. It is absolutely wrong to think that if you wear something that eye catchy people will not enjoy you with their eyes . if you[women] want to be enjoyed by men eyes then we can surely say that women want to be placed as a entertainment object.

03.15.2012, 05:00 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
saviour2012
Baron

continue here

equality of women

03.15.2012, 05:05 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It sounds to me like some people are judging a person based on one glance at them, and then basing everybody with something in common with that person (in this case sex/gender, depending on how you wish to look at it) based on them.

Obviously ridiculous.

Anyway, now that a new thread has been made for continuing the subject, I hope we can drop the argument from here. This thread was made for fun, and it would be sad if it ends up derailed in this way.

On topic! Here is my favourite character from Ben-To, a series I've recommended before, which is really underrated in my opinion! Anyway, she is pretty badass.

03.15.2012, 09:49 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Cat's Eye? I've heard of that somewhere...

But I love her hair. Like she just stepped out of a shower

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

03.15.2012, 09:51 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
[  «    ...  46  47  48  49  50  51  52  53  54  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks