QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What Movie(s) did you watch today?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » What Movie(s) did you watch today? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  94  95  96  97  98  99  100  101  102  ...    »  ]
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

This is one of the reasons that I greatly prefer subtitles, because I seem to feel the emotion of the characters being expressed through hearing the original Japanese rather than the dubbed English. Granted, the subbing can be off as well as the dubbing of a movie, but this is my feeling, having lived in Japan for a while...

I now recommend that you read the book to get a fuller understanding of the film... I had found and bought a copy before I saw the movie and purposely waited until after I had seen the movie before reading it. I enjoyed it that much more, with the seeing and then reading the story.

Post last edited by husky51 on 01.11.2018, 03:39 PM.

01.11.2018, 03:38 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It often happens that developments in characters' relationships feel weirdly fast in adaptations of longer works like novels. I don't remember having a problem with that when I saw the film, but that was without subtitles, so I wasn't getting everything perfectly anyway.

01.12.2018, 08:48 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Watching "Flushed"... I had forgotten how much I had enjoyed this movie... it is funny!!! Hahaha, loved the singing Slugs...

Post last edited by husky51 on 01.14.2018, 02:06 AM.

01.14.2018, 12:28 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I finally saw Kimi No Na Wa yesterday! I really enjoyed it. Glad to say it lived up to the hype. Visually gorgeous as always and Shinkai managed to produce a strong story this time. Stories with time travel or time irregularities can get very confusing very fast but I never felt too lost. I loved watching the two characters feeling their way (often literally) around their new lives. Definitely going to see it again soon.

My Anime List

01.14.2018, 03:48 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Watched two Westerns today...

"Open Range" with Kevin Costner and Robert Duvall

and

"Hang'm High" with Clint Eastwood (What they call a 'spaghetti western', filmed in Italy)... He starred in a number of them.

I have seen Hang'm High a couple of time over the decades, but I like Open Range much better. It was more realistic except for one thing. With all the lead flying, very few hits and no bystanders hit... Other than that, It was pretty good.

Edit, also watched "Only Yesterday" again...

Post last edited by husky51 on 03.08.2018, 06:56 AM.

03.08.2018, 05:37 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I saw The Shape of Water for my birthday earlier this week. I hadn't actually known very much about it other than the basic concept, so some aspects surprised me, but I thought it was great! It reminded me in certain ways of Pan's Labyrinth.

03.08.2018, 08:14 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
thanossapiens
Kodama

Registration Date: 03.08.18
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by thanossapiens Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Kazegami
I finally saw Kimi No Na Wa yesterday! I really enjoyed it. Glad to say it lived up to the hype. Visually gorgeous as always and Shinkai managed to produce a strong story this time. Stories with time travel or time irregularities can get very confusing very fast but I never felt too lost. I loved watching the two characters feeling their way (often literally) around their new lives. Definitely going to see it again soon.

Definitely the best movie of Makoto Shinkai. It was entertaining but I still was a bit disappointed when I watched it because it was hyped way too much... i think it is still the highest rated anime in myanimelist and it also dethroned Spirited Away as the highest grossing film in japan (i'm still salty about that, hah)
Still worth a watch imo, even if it isn't the best anime movie ever made.

03.09.2018, 06:39 AM thanossapiens is offline   Profile for thanossapiens Add thanossapiens to your buddy list
makc
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.12.16
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by makc Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
i think it is still the highest rated anime in myanimelist
really? I thought things like FMA soar there

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so loving what - Stephen Fry.

03.09.2018, 11:22 AM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
thanossapiens
Kodama

Registration Date: 03.08.18
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by thanossapiens Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by makc
quote:

Looks like FMA is at the top again. But Your Name was first for at least a year.
FMA doesn't deserve the number one spot either though

03.09.2018, 01:51 PM thanossapiens is offline   Profile for thanossapiens Add thanossapiens to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by thanossapiens
quote:
quote:

Looks like FMA is at the top again. But Your Name was first for at least a year.
FMA doesn't deserve the number one spot either though

It always makes its way back up because it's so consistently popular. New things sometimes overtake it for a bit, but any new series or film with that much hype gets backlash after a while, so they move down again.

03.09.2018, 08:09 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

FMA???

Full Metal ???...?

Yeah, yeah, I know... As soon as you tell me, I'll go, "Oh, Yeah"...
sigh

Post last edited by husky51 on 03.10.2018, 12:12 AM.

03.10.2018, 12:10 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Full Metal Avocado

03.10.2018, 06:07 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

haaha, I have to say, that one I have never heard of...

03.10.2018, 07:34 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
makc
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.12.16
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by makc Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

@husky you know, the story of blonde boy trying to reclaim his brother body from the magic realm, while his brother lives in an old armor.

@arren "because it's so consistently popular" - it's coca cola of anime

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so loving what - Stephen Fry.

03.10.2018, 02:43 PM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

I can't say as I've ever heard of it before... FMJ, yes... FMA, no...

03.10.2018, 04:55 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

quote:
@arren "because it's so consistently popular" - it's coca cola of anime

That's a pretty fair comparison.

03.10.2018, 08:36 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
night_bird
Kodama

Registration Date: 04.03.18
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by night_bird Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Today I watched "Peter Rabbit" We went to the movies with friends and decided to choose it, a good cartoon.

04.03.2018, 02:02 PM night_bird is offline   Profile for night_bird Add night_bird to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Watched "Star Wars: The Force Returns" two days ago; Watched earlier today, "The Cowboys", a John Wayne movie about a man having to drive a herd of cattle to market, but unable to find any cowhands, so he takes on a bunch of young boys as trailhands. The boys grow up plenty during the cattle drive. Then the "47 Ronin", the Keanu Reeves version... Not the true story, but entertaining... Now watching "The Dark Knight Rises"...

edited for spelling and I forgot about the John Wayne movie...

Post last edited by husky51 on 04.08.2018, 02:46 PM.

04.08.2018, 01:26 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
night_bird
Kodama

Registration Date: 04.03.18
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by night_bird Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Today I watched the movie The Maze Runner. I have not seen before any of the three parts of this franchise. Yes, I was just very bored, so I chose random film, not a drama, but entertaining.

04.08.2018, 03:43 PM night_bird is offline   Profile for night_bird Add night_bird to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

quote:
Originally posted by night_bird
. Yes, I was just very bored, so I chose random film, not a drama, but entertaining.

haha, Like I was doing yesterday... None of my regular daytime shows were on, nor any of what I usually find on a Saturday, so when saw titles I knew or had heard about, I watched them.

I liked the "Star Wars" one, and "The Cowboys" and "47 Ronin" and all were entertaining, but I didn't much care for "The Dark Knight Rises". Didn't care for all the pointless (IMO) violence...

04.08.2018, 05:44 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
[  «    ...  94  95  96  97  98  99  100  101  102  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks