QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What Movie(s) did you watch today?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » What Movie(s) did you watch today? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  91  92  93  94  95  96  97  98  99  ...    »  ]
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I watched "Rodeo Girl" beause I thought it would be a cool movie with horses which, if I haven't said it before, I love... It was about a girel who starts out doing Jumping competition over low fences but moves out to live with her Dad and she changes from an English Saddle rider and jumping to a Western Saddle rider in rodeo's and does Barrel racing...

I loved the horse action parts but the whole rest of the movie was pure corn and stilted dialogue IMO. Even the racing wasn't that well. About twenty years ago I knew a local family who took care of horses and their daughters actually DID Barrel racing and they were fast!!! They all moved away years ago, about 40 miles away, and the mother and dad raise champion Arabians... I might just go out for a visit. I can't ride wo well anymore, but I love being around horses...

In fact, where I live now, a neighbor has three horses and a goat that he turns loose in a field next door to me and I've help catch two other horses that got out of their corrals and were moving around in the neighborhood. They were getting spooked by so many people running up to them... I just walked up, talking to them and while they moved away from me, they didn't run, so I was kinda able to steer them into open gated yards and then close the gate. . We eventually caught them up...

07.02.2017, 01:06 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Movie #1
Big Jake, a western with John Wayne

Movie #2
True Grit with Jeff Bridges

Movie #3
The Red Turtle with Studio Ghibli icon. Isao Takahata'

I liked it very much... I'll not tell anything about it as it would give too much away... I feel that you have to watch it... I couldn't explain it, really...
Enjoy if you see it.

07.09.2017, 03:51 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

1:30 am and I just finished watching "Only Yesterday" again...

07.13.2017, 04:34 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Saw the latest "Spiderman" film tonight... It was ok, but a little confusing at times...

07.14.2017, 01:18 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Watched "Miss Hokusai" this evening. DVD jammed up towards the end, but I was able to fix it and finish it.

How did I like it? Very much, different from most anime I watch and there was one character I didn't care for, but I won't say who...

I enjoyed the interaction between O-Ei and O-Nao, the two sisters...

I do recommend it, especially to anyone interested in early japanese culture, around early 1800's.. I know that it probably wasn't totally accurate, but, as i said, I enjoyed it. I'm keeping the DVD and plan to watch it a couple of more times at least before I return it... I may get my own copy...
====================================

Woke up this morning and watched it again...
learned more about it and understood more, from the ending, almost got the idea that it was based on real people of that era... I would love to describe it better, but I don't want to give away any spoilers... This one you have to see for yourself, and if possible, view it more than once... I will watch it at least once more...

Post last edited by husky51 on 07.18.2017, 11:00 AM.

07.18.2017, 02:34 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Watching an old 'spaghetti western' with Clint Eastwood called "Hang'em High" (196. Been many, many years since I've seen it.

Used to listen to the theme 'Hang'em High' an instrumental by Booker T. and the MG's...

07.26.2017, 02:54 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Miss Hokusai is very much based on real people and events. I am sure the story is dramatised and some of the bio material is compressed or exaggerated but the father and daughter were real people and both very famous.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

07.26.2017, 10:33 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

"Bourne Supremacy" and "Bourne Ultimatum" I liked the ending of the last film...

07.30.2017, 02:07 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Saw "Emoji" at the theater with my granddaughters... We all enjoyed it and towards... well, it si==did make my eye's water...

08.04.2017, 06:18 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I went to see Dunkirk tonight with a couple of friends. I came out of the experience drenched with sweat. It really is an incredibly intense film. I can only equate it to the first ten minutes of "Saving Private Ryan" but extended for 120 minutes. It's not bloody and violent - just... so intense.

Nolan does some very, very clever things with the timeline as well. Its not told in a linear fashion but at least three stories are being narrated at different paces that cover different periods of time. It really makes your brain sore.

Visually superb, intellectually challenging, morally questionable and visually beautiful.

I highly recommand it.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

08.04.2017, 07:58 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

I have read about one Dunkirk survivor that saw the movie came out of the theater in tears... I will definitely be looking for it in my local movie house...

08.05.2017, 01:21 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Watched "Big Hero 6" again last night, the first time was in a theater. I liked it, but not in the category of Ghibli.

Of course, hardly anything else really ever is, right? lol

-------------------------------------

Just finished "Miss Hokusai" again and actually cried at the one part. If anyone has seen it, you know what part I am talking about...

08.06.2017, 06:56 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I watched Miss Hokusei following your recommendation Husky and really enjoyed it I found her a pretty fully realised female character.

I finally watched Your Name! Oh my god.....I definitely think it was worth the hype. From the Shinkai movies I've watched so far, I've always found them really beautiful but perhaps missing a bit of warmth/heart (which Studio Ghibli has in abundance) but I thought this film was both beautiful and heart-wrenching. The plot was full of light and dark moments and went in some unexpected directions.

So good! I'll definitely re-watch it again soon.

08.13.2017, 08:55 AM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

... but ... but I recommended Miss Hokusei to Husky!

Some people on the interwebz seem to think Your Name is not so well rounded out as some other Shinkai films but I'm like you and disagree. Its certainly a film that rewards a rewatch - or three - to get the full sense from it.

08.13.2017, 10:40 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

@Kaz

Some people just have to try to make unfounded claims, don't they...

sigh...

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank

lol

08.13.2017, 02:56 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:

Some people on the interwebz seem to think Your Name is not so well rounded out as some other Shinkai films but I'm like you and disagree. Its certainly a film that rewards a rewatch - or three - to get the full sense from it.

Ahaha sorry Saddle! I bestow all the kudos on you

Yeah I'm keen to give it a re-watch! I really liked Garden of Words and 5 cm per second, but as I said I always found the characters in them a little less endearing - I feel like Your Name is just as beautiful and complex as his other films, and a little more endearing

08.15.2017, 05:10 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

The Big Lebowski - via a hint from Arren.

Thank you Arren, I enjoyed the film a lot. Very funny, very trippy, very... American.

08.29.2017, 12:23 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

quote:
Originally posted by Nausicaa_Cat
quote:

Ahaha sorry Saddle! I bestow all the kudos on you

But, now I feel so left out of it... sniff! (grabs for his hankie...)

Post last edited by husky51 on 08.29.2017, 04:28 PM.

08.29.2017, 04:28 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Watched Nausiccaa... refresh's my memory every time I see it about things that I've forgotten...

09.18.2017, 03:24 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
makc
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.12.16
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by makc Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Watched 3 movies today, two were average, but Jodaeiye Nader az Simin was damn good. Unexpected from Iran. Now I want more of their stuff.

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so loving what - Stephen Fry.

09.25.2017, 08:33 PM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
[  «    ...  91  92  93  94  95  96  97  98  99  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks