QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What Movie(s) did you watch today?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » What Movie(s) did you watch today? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  104  105  106  107  108  109  110  111  112  ...    »  ]
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The most popular?? I'm surprised! I was under the impression that it was one a lot of people forget about. Anyway, I DID end up watching it, and it was as good as I remembered.

12.25.2021, 06:17 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

12.26.2021, 06:11 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I saw Encanto, the latest Disney film, when my family were visiting last week. It was nice. The songs were good, the animation was great, and the characters were fun. I found the story a little weak and predictable, but overall, it was enjoyable.

My Anime List

01.04.2022, 07:45 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I went to the cinema a couple of times this past week, to see two VERY different films. I saw House of Gucci and thought it was great, and Matrix Resurrections, which was honestly a bit of a mess but I appreciated it anyway.

01.12.2022, 11:57 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I saw Mamoru Hosoda's new film, Belle, in the cinema last night.

Overall, I enjoyed it, although it left me with some mixed feelings.

I loved the animation and the music, and some of the emotional moments felt very true to life. That was all good. There was some fun comedy too.

On the other hand, the villains of the film felt very cartoonish, to the point where you think it must be deliberate, but... hmm. If it was, I'm not sure exactly what point was being made.

The Beauty and the Beast references were also very, very heavy. Some scenes were almost identical to the old Disney version. Again, a deliberate choice, but I'm not sure what Hosoda was trying to do here. It could have been subtler or given some sort of twist, or... anything, really. Instead, the same "tale as old as time" played out, just with different characters.

Anyway, definitely worth a watch because it's a real spectacle. I just wasn't 100% sold on the story.

My Anime List

02.22.2022, 05:04 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Watched the movie "Nino Kuni" again... enjoyed it again... and later today was watching "The Orbital Children"... A complex sort of story... hope to finish it tomorrow...

02.23.2022, 03:46 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
tonaricrilly1995
Kodama

Registration Date: 02.07.22
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by tonaricrilly1995 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Not today but I did watch Spirited Away at the Prince Charles Cinema last Sunday. Also did watch The Naked Gun on Netflix recently.

Been meaning to watch Threads.

https://linktr.ee/pfpchanger

03.17.2022, 04:17 PM tonaricrilly1995 is offline   Profile for tonaricrilly1995 Add tonaricrilly1995 to your buddy list AIM Screenname:  seriously what is this YIM Screenname: Really
ButaPairotto
Tanuki

Registration Date: 08.26.21
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ButaPairotto Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I saw Licorice Pizza written & directed by Paul Thomas Anderson. It was really great. Maybe the best film I've seen all year. PTA (the director) often worked with the late actor Phillip Seymour Hoffman, in movies like The Master, or Magnolia. This movie stars his son Cooper Hoffman, so it's really cool to see that after his dad passed away a few years ago. He does a great job in this movie as well.

03.18.2022, 01:19 PM ButaPairotto is offline   Profile for ButaPairotto Add ButaPairotto to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

In the past week I saw three films as part of the touring festival the Japan Foundation puts on each year. I really enjoyed the last one I watched, Eternally Younger Than Those Idiots. I'm not sure how easy it is to find normally, but I would recommend it!

03.23.2022, 03:39 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

"Eternally Younger than those Idiots"...

Hmmm? Now WHO or WHAT older IDIOT could they be referring to???

03.23.2022, 08:56 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

I'd say it's one of those titles that sounds a bit strange and hard to understand on its own, but when you see the context (it's a line from one scene in the film) it makes a lot more sense as a title.

03.26.2022, 05:18 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
jamesanderson
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 03.26.22
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by jamesanderson Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

nioc

03.26.2022, 07:31 AM jamesanderson is offline   Profile for jamesanderson Add jamesanderson to your buddy list Homepage of jamesanderson
husky51
The Old Guy

hahahaha

Have a great day!

Post last edited by husky51 on 03.26.2022, 12:37 PM.

03.26.2022, 12:36 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Watched "The Secret of Roan Inish"...

A tale of an Irish family forced to leave their island home and the legend of a 'Selkie'...

I enjoyed it, left me with a sad/happy?? feeling...

04.22.2022, 10:51 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Not in Ireland, but my dad spent a while living on the isle of Ulva when he was younger, and he knew people there who believed in selkies, or "the seal people" as they called them. That would have been in the late 60s or 70s, I guess. They always made sure to leave some of their catch out for the selkies to eat.

My Anime List

Post last edited by Kazegami on 04.22.2022, 02:24 PM.

04.22.2022, 02:23 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

I forget the titles, but I have seen movies with 'selkies' before and there was even a few s/f books with sentient seals harking back to selkies where they could change at will to human form... I always enjoyed them...

04.22.2022, 10:31 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
tonaricrilly1995
Kodama

Registration Date: 02.07.22
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by tonaricrilly1995 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Watched Sonic 2 a few weeks ago. As a die hard Sonic fan, thought it was alright, the humour was rubbish outside of a few jokes but I definitely did like the lore building and action.

I also did watch Ferris Bueller and Ali G Indahouse a few eeks back, and I'm currently still trying to find my way to watch Clear and Present Danger and Office Space

https://linktr.ee/pfpchanger

04.24.2022, 02:27 PM tonaricrilly1995 is offline   Profile for tonaricrilly1995 Add tonaricrilly1995 to your buddy list AIM Screenname:  seriously what is this YIM Screenname: Really
arren18
Administrator

I saw Ferris Bueller for the first time a couple of years ago myself. It's from before my time, but I could see why people remember it so fondly.

Ali G, on the other hand, is ABSOLUTELY my generation! But I'm not sure I fancy finding out how well it holds up after what must be about 20 years now...

04.24.2022, 04:04 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Watched "Luca", a tale about a 'sea monster', that comes ashore and decides that he prefers living in the surface world, but he has the difficulty of living among people out to kill all sea monsters!!!

04.30.2022, 08:35 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Watched "Only Yesterday" last night... Started and got to the 3rd episode of "Kimi ni Todoke"...

05.15.2022, 05:12 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
[  «    ...  104  105  106  107  108  109  110  111  112  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks