QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What Movie(s) did you watch today?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Tavern General Discussions What Movie(s) did you watch today? Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  97  98  99  100  101  102  103  104  105  ...    »  ]
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I found "Alita, Battle Angel", about a Cyborg... is that it?

03.17.2019, 02:31 AM husky51 is online   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
makc
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.12.16
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by makc Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wNAsdjaOvg

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so loving what - Stephen Fry.

Post last edited by makc on 03.17.2019, 07:42 PM.

03.17.2019, 07:41 PM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Watched two movies today at the theater...

first was "How to Train your Dragon" the third movie which I liked.

The second one was "Wonderland"... Seemed to be geared to very young children. I enjoyed the way young children in the audience interacted with the movie verbably...

03.22.2019, 02:29 AM husky51 is online   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Had a young friend over this evening who is an anime fan... He has always wanted to see Howl's Moving Castle, so tonight, he did... lol

04.20.2019, 02:32 AM husky51 is online   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Watched a heartbreaking movie last night called "The Lovely Bones"... With Mark Wahlberg, Saoirse Ronan and Susan Sarandon...

04.23.2019, 12:22 PM husky51 is online   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

At the weekend, I watched Wolf Children for the third(?) time with my dad. I'm not sure I really stopped crying from start to finish, I love that film so much.

My Anime List

04.23.2019, 09:17 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Watching the scare movie "The Blob" from 1958...

04.28.2019, 12:10 AM husky51 is online   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Watched Avengers Endgame. 11 years of movies leading up to it. Was pretty epic.

Also don't worry Husky, we left the baby with her grandparents.

05.05.2019, 03:26 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Watched Avengers Endgame. 11 years of movies leading up to it. Was pretty epic.

Also don't worry Husky, we left the baby with her grandparents.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I trust your judgment better than that, fen... lol

And yeah, It would have been a bit much to bring her to me for you epic journey... But, Grandpa's always ready... lol

05.05.2019, 12:34 PM husky51 is online   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

This week I saw Shazam! at the cinema. I fell off the superhero movie hype train a long time ago, so now I just watch individual ones that sound a bit different from the norm. It was pretty fun!

Somewhat related, I rewatched Birdman to get some ideas for a class.

05.06.2019, 08:24 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

quote:
Originally posted by arren18

uh-huh! Yeah, suuure, arren ... A good excuse for goofing off, lol

05.06.2019, 01:36 PM husky51 is online   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Watched Toy Story #4 today and I feel that it was just as good as TS#1... Some of the old characters were there and some surprise new ones, lol... I enjoyed it and, yes, I shed tears at one point...

And stay through the credits, at least until the actor credits start scrolling up... Over half of the viewers left as soon as the movie seemed to be over and missed some interesting parts...

06.25.2019, 02:19 AM husky51 is online   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Toy Story seems to be an exception to the rule in that its sequels have been just as good if not better than the first installment. I haven't seen trailers or anything for this latest one, but I'm sure I'll see it at some point.

quote:

I happened to see this the other day. Really odd film. Not sure whether I liked it or not.

My Anime List

Post last edited by Kazegami on 06.25.2019, 05:48 AM.

06.25.2019, 05:46 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah, I don't think it's for everyone.

I should see Toy Story 4. I didn't particularly think another one was necessary, but I've always liked each new one.

06.27.2019, 08:49 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Saw "Incredibles 2" for the first time... Wasn't a Ghibli, but interesting enough...

I might even go back and see "Toy Story 4" again in the next few days. To see what I may have missed beforehand, but we'll see...

06.27.2019, 01:02 PM husky51 is online   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Lucas K
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 06.28.19
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Lucas K Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

So... I'm quite literally in the middle of a challenge I'm putting myself through where I watch (at least) one film a day all year (including short films because no way would I have the time otherwise). At first I accompanied this with "daily mini-reviews" on Twitter because I thought it would be good practice for conveying my thoughts concisely, but at one point I just lost the motivation to do it (instead I'll probably just use the platform for monthly updates). That said, this is obviously the perfect thread for what I'm doing, but I'll try not to bump it every single day unless I genuinely have something to add to the conversation.

Anyway, today's watch was Don Hertzfeldt's short film "World of Tomorrow" (which is included with the "It's Such a Beautiful Day" Blu-ray that I got recently; it was a great buy). Basically, it depicts a very pessimistic view of the future in which humanity exists only for the sake of existing and has forgotten what living is really about. As someone who is still searching for personal meaning in life, I can find a lot of truth in the film that's hard to swallow. Also, it's got some of the most visually interesting animation I've seen from Hertzfeldt, as well as some of his funniest comedy. I'd highly recommend watching it, of course, but it's only available as a Vimeo purchase or with the aforementioned Blu-ray. A few of Hertzfeldt's other short films are on YouTube, though.

quote:
Originally posted by Kazegami
quote:

I happened to see this the other day. Really odd film. Not sure whether I liked it or not.

I rewatched that recently. It's one of my favorite movies of all time, but I think it's supposed to be really hard to "get" on your first viewing, so if anyone wants to hear my interpretations, I'd be happy to share.

quote:
I should see Toy Story 4. I didn't particularly think another one was necessary, but I've always liked each new one.

Yeah, it's good. I wrote a full review of it, but the TL;DR is that it still has what made the other Toy Story films good despite its issues, so it's worth a watch for sure. Definitely more so than almost everything else in theaters right now, lmao

Discord: Lucas K#0109

Letterboxd profile

06.30.2019, 11:04 PM Lucas K is offline   Profile for Lucas K Add Lucas K to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Just finished watching " A Silent Voice", an anime about a girl in elementary school who is deaf and a boy who is a bully. I enjoyed it very much, especially all of the emotions that were expressed by the characters...

07.01.2019, 02:48 AM husky51 is online   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Ah, I'd like to see that one some time. I remember hearing it was good.

@Lucas K: feel free to post about your challenge as much as you like! It'll be interesting to hear from somebody who's doing something like that.

07.01.2019, 04:41 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
makc
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.12.16
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by makc Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
stay through the credits, at least until the actor credits start scrolling up

Thanks for the hint. The kid loved the rabbit shooting lazors from his eyes 👍

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so loving what - Stephen Fry.

07.01.2019, 07:49 AM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Saw a comedy called Game Night yesterday with friends. Not the kind of thing I'd ever pick myself, but it was pretty entertaining!

My Anime List

07.01.2019, 06:06 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
[  «    ...  97  98  99  100  101  102  103  104  105  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks