QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What Movie(s) did you watch today?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » What Movie(s) did you watch today? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  90  91  92  93  94  95  96  97  98  ...    »  ]
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I definitely felt the similarities to Millennium Actress, yes. All the same techniques were there, and in Millennium Actress they were simply used to tell a love story rather than... well, whatever you'd call the story of Perfect Blue. Despite the reality-fantasy blurring, as far as I remember Millennium Actress was much less confusing, as well.

I've yet to see Paprika. Maybe we'll watch that some night soon. I'd like to rewatch Tokyo Godfathers at some point too.

My Anime List

Post last edited by Kazegami on 04.28.2017, 01:34 PM.

04.28.2017, 01:34 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've seen, actually have, Tokyo Godfathers, Millennium Actress and Paprika but not Perfect Blue...

I'll have to check it out even tho it is not the usual anime that I like to watch...

Hey, I try to at least sample different genre just to see what others are talking about... The heaviest one I recall watching was Elfen Leid... That was wild in my opinion...

04.28.2017, 03:40 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I almost did a paper on Perfect Blue for class (never watched it but it fit the topic). I think the subject had to be related to the use of bodies in film using feminist theory or something. I chose a different film but I'd really wanted to use that one or Helter Skelter (the Japanese film).

04.28.2017, 05:34 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I did write about it for a class, actually. The essay prompt was about the relationship between cinema and reality.

04.28.2017, 07:37 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Last night I watched Jonathan Glazer's "Under the Skin" and found it a really strange experience. There's almost no story and what story you do get is not explained at all, there's no exposition, just a sequence of events that you the viewer have to try and make sense of. However it was completely engaging and the ending caught me by surprise as I was watching with an assumption that the events would continue to unfurl.

Its sci-fi horror as a genre but there's little of either in it. I was reminded a lot of Nicolas Roeg's "The Man Who Fell to Earth" in its style and quiet desperation. In both cases an A-list celebrity was cast in the lead role among a cast of unknowns so it had a similar impact.

Highly recommended.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

05.11.2017, 09:16 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've had it sitting around for a couple of months now and finally watched it last night. "Chappie", a live action about a robot that is taken over by the bad guys... I wasn't greatly impressed, really ..

05.11.2017, 12:18 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Just for fun, my friends and I watched "Nazis at the Centre of the Earth" last night. It's about a group of researchers in the Antarctic who stumble across an underground colony of Nazis who've been keeping themselves alive since the war using the power of ~~Science~~. They resurrect Hitler (well, his head on an extremely bad CG robot body) and he attacks the earth in a giant flying saucer, until the protagonists manage to destroy him with flesh-eating bacteria. So yes, it was just as ludicrous and low-budget as it sounds.

My Anime List

05.17.2017, 03:08 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

AWWW... And I was going to go watch it today... tsk, all these spoilers... and I don't mean just the head...lol

Yeah, definitely a low, low, (bass voice) low, budget movie...

05.17.2017, 12:54 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.02.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

There are some movies you watch where you have no idea how anyone making it thought it would be a good movie. That seems like one of those movies.

05.17.2017, 05:10 PM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

To add to the trashiness, it was even made to capitalise on the hype for a different movie, about Nazis on the moon.

05.18.2017, 12:58 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

A movie about Nazis on the moon had hype? Jeez.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

05.18.2017, 10:17 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Yep. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Sky

05.18.2017, 10:40 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Watched "The Caine Mutiny", a classis Navy film and I'm glad that the typhoon that we were in on my ship wasn't as bad as the one in the movie as we probably would have been sunk. My ship was smaller that the Caine and we were lucky that we didn't roll more that 30+ degrees to port and starboard.

06.10.2017, 01:31 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
makc
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.12.16
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by makc Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

John Wick Chapter 2 is garbage, if you didn't know yet. It's basically Keanu shooting people for 2 hours.

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so loving what - Stephen Fry.

06.10.2017, 10:41 AM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.02.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

My family went to see Wonder Woman together for Father's Day. It was really good! Check it out if you like superhero films.

06.18.2017, 07:14 PM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I cried so much watching WW! It was good. I'm not a huge fan of superhero films but I did enjoy that one.

Someone restrain me from re-watching Farewell My Concubine because I honestly can't handle the first hour of the film. I couldn't even finish eating my meal when I first watched it. It set such an interesting atmosphere though. Honestly might be one of my favourite films now if it wasn't so hard to watch (but it's so simultaneously beautiful).

06.18.2017, 08:23 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

I watched "Ocean Waves" again this evening along with "Ghiblies 2" ...

I totally loved seeing it again and again got teary-eyed at the ending in the Tokyo train station...

06.21.2017, 04:23 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Finally,,, After three weeks, I finally got to see "Wonder Woman" and I enjoyed the movie overall... The scenes were bold and exciting through out. except for one thing. The noisy damn kids near the front of the theater!!! And we're not talking pre-teens or teens, we're talking about 3,4 or 5 yr ol;ds who IMO had no business being there and allowed by their parents to disturb the rest of the patrons. I was stuck in the far, rear corner and not readily able to get up and complain to management. And of course, some idiots just had to trun on their phones at various times throughout the movie...

06.22.2017, 01:29 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

hahahahahahahaha!

Turn on the TV movie "Parent Trap" thinking that it would be the one with my teenage heart-throb Hayley Mills... But it was the one with Lindsay Lohan and this version is just as funny. I'm watching it now and it is at the part where
Daddy and the twins and Daddy's fiance are camping out in the woods...

Hahahahaha, loving it!!!

Sure glad I didn't have twin girls...

06.30.2017, 02:00 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I watched Okja with my sister and we both bawled. I thought it was great. I really like this director and I think it's interesting how varied his films can be. But I loved so many elements of this film. I also loved the not-so-subtle jabs at Korean society and consumerism/capitalism. I think it was awkward in places and could have done more but it's almost reminiscent of a graphic novel with its many quirks.

I think it's also the type of film I'd want to show my kids someday? I know there's a lot of swearing and some violence/it has some heavy subject matter. But I think older kids would definitely benefit from the film.

06.30.2017, 10:54 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
[  «    ...  90  91  92  93  94  95  96  97  98  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks