QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What Movie(s) did you watch today?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » What Movie(s) did you watch today? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  89  90  91  92  93  94  95  96  97  ...    »  ]
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.02.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Continuing my AFI Top 100 journey, I just finished Bonnie and Clyde a few minutes ago.

Oh my god.

I loved it. I loved every second of it. It's probably my favorite AFI Top 100 film I've watched so far, bar maybe Casablanca. The ending hit me so hard. And Faye Dunaway is drop-dead gorgeous.

Sigh, I love old movies

04.14.2017, 10:28 PM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I watched Chungking Express at random. Dear lord... I love this film so much but I'm laughing because I knew so many quotes from it before watching it. It has such a lovely feel to it, completely reminds me of a Murakami novel (I love Murakami but often it's not the stories but the feeling they contain and imagery they create).

04.14.2017, 10:57 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

We had a trip at university the other day and on the bus journey we watched the live-action film of Gegege no Kitaro. It was pretty bad, if kind of funny in bits. I know by now not to expect much from live-action adaptations of anime.

My Anime List

04.16.2017, 11:49 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yes, I've wondered about that too. Its clearly a thing in Japan and I was presuming they do it to reach a wider audience on the assumption the anime will appeal mostly to children, teens and young adults.

Yet the few live action adaptations I've seen have all seemed to be low budget and very indifferently acted. Cringingly so in some cases.

I also assume these are made-for-TV and not for cinema?

Perhaps the standards the public accepts in Japan are different to in the west (well, when I say 'west' I mean Britain which is the only market I know with any familiarity).

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

04.17.2017, 09:11 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

When the live action "Ghost in the Shell" opens locally, I plan to check it out... We'll see....

04.17.2017, 09:17 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I just finished Happy Together. Was a bit nervous going in if I could handle it but wound up loving it too. Wong's films have been very cathartic.

I also watched The Handmaiden/Agassi the other day. Very, very good film. Lovely cinematography. Please be advised there are some very graphic scenes if any of you choose to watch this film.

04.17.2017, 10:56 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ghost will be a different thing entirely Husky. I am talking about TV shows or made for TV films produced locally, not stuff Hollywood have got hold of.

I keep hearing rumours of a live action Akira, I suppose that will happen eventually.

A live action Evangelion that was fully faithful to the TV series I think I'd watch just out of curiosity.

Back on topic. I watched Steven Spielberg's 1972 cult masterpiece "Duel" again the other day. I've watched it several times but the last time must have been 20 years ago. What I found now, watching it in later adulthood when I have a family, I felt it was much more frightening, tense and especially claustrophobic. Spielberg uses a lot of really close up shots and the sense of helplessness and fear of Dennis Weaver's character I found quite disconcerting.

I also watched the silly sci-fi film "Final Countdown" with Martin Sheen and Kirk Douglas. All very daft but a fun way to relax for a while.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

04.18.2017, 08:46 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Watched the movie "John Carter" yesterday... based on the novel by Edgar Rice Burroughs...

04.21.2017, 03:06 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
makc
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.12.16
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by makc Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

hidden figures does a good job depicting what kind of crap you had to put up with if you were black female born in usa. I mean, it was nice, but nothing too special.

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so loving what - Stephen Fry.

04.21.2017, 07:27 AM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I watched Ocean Waves for the first time last night. I don't think I've ever been left so frustrated and upset at a film in a long while.

I also watched Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence. I really liked that one for some reason.

04.24.2017, 05:31 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
makc
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by makc Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by foreignfilmfreak
I watched Ocean Waves for the first time last night. I don't think I've ever been left so frustrated and upset at a film in a long while.
why though. it has a happy ending.

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so loving what - Stephen Fry.

04.24.2017, 05:50 PM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by makc
quote:
Originally posted by foreignfilmfreak
why though. it has a happy ending.

We couldn't understand why he would develop feelings for Rikako. We just really didn't like her character. The ending felt cliched.

04.24.2017, 08:31 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

I don't know if I can say this right, but in the beginning she was a snobby so-and-so. When she ... well, thinking about it, I don't want to give any thing away for people who haven't seen it yet, You understand, I know, FFF..

However, I came to an entirely different opinion of the ending and was able to see the changes as they slowly occured and totally love the ending, I would almost put it behind WotH in the meaningful movies, to me at least.

Sorry that you did not like the story, FFF, but that's the nice thing about this forum. We don't all have to agree on every movie made by Ghibli... Some we like, some not so much...

04.25.2017, 02:04 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Maybe I need to re-watch it. lol I think that Rikako was understandable for the most part where she was coming from but it didn't feel like there was much to her character besides being the love interest. I'm not sure how to explain. My sister was more upset with the ending than I was.

04.25.2017, 07:31 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
makc
Ohmu

troubled teen pretty face, also the only girl he interacts with in a meaningful way, what did you expect. of course he falls for her

04.25.2017, 09:14 AM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Argh... If its a Ghibli movie you watched today, you should discuss it in the Ghibli forum.

04.25.2017, 01:12 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Haha, sorry Saddles. I didn't want to go and necromance an old thread.

04.25.2017, 01:52 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

So I forgot to mention, I watched Satoshi Kon's Perfect Blue the other day.

It was... tense, perplexing, artful, and deeply uncomfortable at times. After it ended, my friends and I spent quite a while trying to tease out what had really happened, but we didn't get very far and concluded we'd have to watch it again, looking closely.

I thought it was very good, if not for the faint of heart.

My Anime List

04.28.2017, 06:44 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

It is very good and also quite shocking. However I think there's a couple of strangely left-open bits and maybe some logic loopholes that makes the ending unsatisfying. It has elements that resurface in Paprika I think as well as Millenium Actress. The blurry of reality with a false world that takes over reality is a recurring theme of his - whether that world is in the mind of a character you act on a stage or screen, or one you play in your dreams or mind.

But I like Perfect Blue, it has that slightly uncomfortable edginess that works well, considering also the fanatical fan-based otaku culture it incorporates. That gives it a certain creepiness that his more fantasy Paprika lacks.

04.28.2017, 01:03 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think I prefer Perfect Blue over Paprika as well. The intensity makes it more thrilling to watch. Either way it's a great film, if not the easiest to watch.

04.28.2017, 01:10 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
[  «    ...  89  90  91  92  93  94  95  96  97  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks