QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - do you think anime has influenced other films?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » do you think anime has influenced other films? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2    »  ]
sofibee
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 04.16.08
do you think anime has influenced other films?Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by sofibee Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Im doing a question on anime in my A level corse work and would love some anime fans feed back. feel free to explore my question and to say anything you like about the question.
thank you

04.16.2008, 07:25 AM sofibee is offline   Profile for sofibee Add sofibee to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yes, it has. The Wachowski brothers have said that The Matrix was partly inspired by Ghost in the Shell and Akira, although they had many other influences too, Kung-Fu movies among them.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

04.16.2008, 07:37 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

That... is somehow an invalid question.

Every artist, when starting out, is influenced from other artists, regardless of background. Just like in school where a pupil will learn to do the tables the way his teacher teaches him, so will artists.

To be precise, movies aren't influenced by anime; rather, they are influenced by the CONCEPT within the anime. For example, Matrix was inspired by Akira and Ghost in the Shell, not because it is an anime, but because if it's interpretation of the future, the technology, the scenes. If either movie were to have originated from, say, American or European cartoons, the end result would still be the same.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

04.16.2008, 08:55 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Mush
Baron

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Not necessarily. I think in many cases a film's style and tone can be influenced specifically by the anime genre. Other than the Matrix I can't think of any immediate examples, but I'm sure I will soon enough...

04.16.2008, 11:01 AM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

IMHO, anime has become such a big part of today's film and TV industry that it can't help but to have influenced other types of movie making.

I cannot remember the film, I know that it wasn't the one about the guy killed on a motorcycle and ends up in a cartoon world. one character was named Holly or something like that. The film that I remember was darker and dealt with a man that would, in flashes like lightening, show distinctly (to me) anime features and then back to live action...

How much it will affect the movie industry in the future is hard to say, but I think that we will see more cross-over and other forms of influence in more and more films...

Post last edited by husky51 on 04.16.2008, 08:38 PM.

04.16.2008, 08:37 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think anime should just be left along. There have been rumours of live actions films made out of it, NGE for example, Higurashi is another one. They thing with anime is already in motion, it already a visual component. Its not like a book where it has a imagination part. To me, anime is a fine media on its own.

As far as it being a influence, its possible, but as far as the matrix, im not sure if it is mainstream enough to influence directors. Its still a niche 'hobby' for lack of a better world.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

04.16.2008, 11:18 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Coincidentally, just posted today on the Miyazaki mailing list:

quote:
"M Night Shyamalan quoted in the press release from his upcoming film, The Last Airbender:

"I was drawn to the series because of its influences: one being Hayao Miyazaki, said Shyamalan. "I have always been a huge fan of Miyazaki's work. He is one of the greatest storytellers in the world and makes anime films in Japan. His combination of spirituality and super natural elements have brought depth and meaning to his art form. In 'The Last Airbender,' I see an opportunity to make a live-action version of a Miyazaki film."

The film is not due for another two years (July 2 2010)..."

Now me:

M Night Shyamalan is saying the anime series The Last Airbender shows Miyazaki influences and that drew him to doing a live action movie version, he sees an opportunity to make a live action movie that also shows those influences.

Post last edited by Saddletank on 04.17.2008, 01:33 AM.

04.17.2008, 01:33 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Incidentally, I saw a live action version of Mushi-shi in HMV the other day. Thing is I don't yet know which came first: the live action film or the anime. But probably the anime yeah?

My Anime List

04.17.2008, 02:45 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
the anime series The Last Airbender

...which, perhaps ironically due to being used as an example, is American.

Post last edited by arren18 on 04.17.2008, 10:39 AM.

04.17.2008, 10:39 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

But which nevertheless took some inspiration from Miyazaki’s work and hence is a valid example for the purposes of the OPs question.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

04.17.2008, 11:06 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

"do you think anime has influenced other films?"

anime.

04.17.2008, 11:48 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Yeah. Anime. Miyazaki = anime.

M Night Shayamalan is working in live action. Is there some confusion here?

04.17.2008, 11:50 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

But Avatar isn't anime. So you could use Avatar as an example of something influenced by anime, but the film would be less appropriate.

04.17.2008, 11:52 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Duh. Read the OP again. You missed something important. Shyamalan's words, mostly.

04.17.2008, 12:18 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

"I see an opportunity to make a live-action version of a Miyazaki film." Is that it?

Besides, I'm not wanting an argument. I was just explaining what I meant...

04.17.2008, 12:20 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

No, his first sentence. The one with 'influences' in.

Post last edited by Saddletank on 04.17.2008, 03:22 PM.

04.17.2008, 03:22 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

He knew that Avatar was influenced by Miyazaki's films in some way, and so he's approaching his live action film from that mindset. Obviously, he's being influenced by his own appreciation of Miyazaki films.

Therefore it is an example of anime influencing Hollywood.

I actually have some more respect for Shyamalan knowing he's a Ghibli fan. I've never been a big horror movie fan myself (I think that's what Mr. S makes, not sure..)

04.17.2008, 05:41 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Shyalaman is one of my favourite directors. He makes not so much horror as 'dark mind games' movies. "Unbreakable" and "Sixth Sense" both were more mental than physical. "Signs" was also tense and scary in the head rather than in the action but it had a strong spiritual message too which I'm not sure I agree with.

There's no blood and gore and hack type horror with his stuff, its definitely worth watching.

04.17.2008, 06:43 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

If Shyalaman directed 'Sixth Sense', IMHO, he is a very worthy representative of his craft...

04.17.2008, 09:55 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Kazegami
Incidentally, I saw a live action version of Mushi-shi in HMV the other day. Thing is I don't yet know which came first: the live action film or the anime. But probably the anime yeah?

Getting off-topic for a while...

REALLY? WHERE?!

*cough*

The thing about anime is, only non-Japanese consider anime to be Japan-exclusive. The Japanese themselves regard ALL things animated as anime. Including Airbender.

Where do you think the term 'anime' came from?

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

04.20.2008, 05:01 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
[  1  2    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks