QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Suggestions...
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » Suggestions... » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2  3    »  ]
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Registration Date: 04.06.08
  Suggestions...Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yay! Kiki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I haven't ever really watched anime but I figured that I would give it a try.
So... does anyone have any suggestions for a first time anime watcher? And how would I be able to watch it without actually buying it? I'm running short on money... and yeah.
Thanks !!!!!@!

04.22.2008, 10:22 PM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yay! Kiki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Oh darn.. I meant to post this in the "Anime" section. Ah well... a mod can move it... that would be helpful, actually....

Yay-ness.!!!

04.22.2008, 11:26 PM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  go to YouTube and type in 'anmPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

go to YouTube and type in 'anime', that may bring you some clips or maybe even some 25 min clips...
or type in some of the anime names you may have read

04.23.2008, 12:15 AM husky51 is online   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Farren
Baron

Registration Date: 07.18.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Farren Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

nods to husky

thats proberly the best way

04.23.2008, 01:03 AM Farren is offline   Profile for Farren Add Farren to your buddy list
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yay! Kiki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

alright then.

Hey, does anyone know about Sgt. Frog? I remember seeing the first episode somewhere, but now I can't find it... that show was awesomely hilarious though!!!!!

04.23.2008, 01:30 AM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I *think* YouTube is limited to 10 minute clips.

www.veoh.com is a better site although you have to download their "Veoh TV" viewer and download manager.

What sort of anime do you like, Kiki, what genres/themes? Give us a clue and I'm sure plenty of people here will recommend stuff. There's like a 'must watch' top ten of movies and series that are more or less essential to see because they are milestones of anime but after that iceberg tip there's literally millions of tons more or varying quality and series length.

We've had a few threads in the recent past in the Other Anime forum where people list what they like or recommend so you could try there too.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

04.23.2008, 01:30 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Yay! Kiki
Baron

actually... i dunno...

i remember that veoh tv was where i first saw sgt frog. now I have to go and download it so that i can watch the whole thing.,

04.23.2008, 01:33 AM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Couple of threads on what people like:

http://www.onlineghibli.com/tavern/threa...5&styleid=1

http://www.onlineghibli.com/tavern/threa...5&styleid=1

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

04.23.2008, 01:35 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
I *think* YouTube is limited to 10 minute clips.

Unless you have a "director" subscription. Unfortunately, most people who upload anime don't have director subscriptions.

Veoh has less range than YouTube, but the quality tends to be far better.

04.23.2008, 03:07 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Yay! Kiki
Baron

I have discovered that I like the lighter stuff. Random darkness isn't really for me... and stuff that's humorous. That's great too. So... suggestions? Yay!

04.24.2008, 09:00 PM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ah, so you actually want some direct suggestions, well lets see, light eh.
Things that pop into the head: Azumanga Daioh, The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi, Zero no Tsukaima, Rozen Maiden, School Rumble. Maybe wiki some of those and see if they are up your alley.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

04.24.2008, 09:05 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Yay! Kiki
Baron

So far I've watched "Azumanga Daioh" and "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya". Azumanga sounds pretty good, and the teacher goes between freaking me out and making me laugh reeeally hard. And then 'The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya" sounds great! The one girl's a tad bit obnoxious though... ah well.

Edit: I am going to need to watch "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya" in Japanese- have you heard the English dub voices? I'm starting to want to back away from it at times, and then I want to keep on watching. Ah well...

OK, just watched "Zero no Tsukaima", and this one looks pretty good, too... yeah!

And now I watched "School Rumble", and it was pretty good, but that one guy drove me crazy. Funny though that he would fall in love with someone like the main character..

And now I've watched the beginning of "Rosen Maiden"m but I don't actually get it yet. I dunno how much I'll like this one... but thanks for your suggestions!! Appreciate them!!!

Post last edited by Yay! Kiki on 04.25.2008, 01:22 AM.

04.24.2008, 10:54 PM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I would stick to Japanese with subtitles all the time if you can get the hang of watching like that, I just find the original voices suit the visuals so much better.

Stick with Haruhi if you can, yeah that girl is a bit obnoxious but there is a good reason for that, you'll see! I won't give spoilers but trust me Its worth it!

04.25.2008, 03:42 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Yay! Kiki
Baron

I just watched Azumaga Daioh again, and therefore have to change my first opinion of it. I don't know what I first saw, but it definitely wasn't Azumanga Daioh. But the one that I just watched- I loved it! Yay!

04.26.2008, 02:13 AM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I've yet to meet anyone who's watched it and hasn't enjoyed it Its completely harmless, completely charming and totally crazy.

04.26.2008, 02:39 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
T.C.
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.28.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by T.C. Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

True, Azu Dai is winner in most books, you have to give it a try but it might take a little getting used to.
You probably shouldnt block out any series you think might be serious.. i think youll eventually find that some of the best series have a perfect balance of both elements.. i love Shinchiro Watanabe's latest two series, Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo. They have both bluntly funny and cheeky satirical humour that blend with the more serious plot-driven episodes.

Edit: Sgt. Frog?? would the Japanese title of that Kero Kero Keroppi by any chance? if so ive seen the movie but thats all..

Post last edited by T.C. on 04.28.2008, 09:02 AM.

04.28.2008, 09:01 AM T.C. is offline   Profile for T.C. Add T.C. to your buddy list
Yay! Kiki
Baron

I found out later that it was Keroro Gunso, but where I first heard of it, it was called Sergeant Frog. Yeah, and it's a really funny series though, you should see it.

04.28.2008, 10:10 AM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Oh Kiki, if you'd like something light, you could try Ouran High School Host Club. It's a romantic comedy, really hilarious most of the time. And there are many, many very very pretty guys in it. 8D Yeah I guess you could say it's also a harem-type anime. But really, I think you'd really enjoy it.

My Anime List

04.28.2008, 11:35 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
I've yet to meet anyone who's watched it and hasn't enjoyed it Its completely harmless, completely charming and totally crazy.

There. You've met me

I found it boring.

Go Ouran High School! Yeah yeah!

Twins *melts*

04.28.2008, 03:01 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

You have no taste.

04.28.2008, 03:09 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
[  1  2  3    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks