QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  641  642  643  644  645  646  647  648  649  ...    »  ]
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

She studied here a few years ago! Her language partner was a friend of mine. I probably met her as well. So surprising though!

07.18.2017, 05:53 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.02.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

LL: Ugh, I'm spending today doing summer homework. I have work to do for Honors English, APUSH (AP US History), and Honors Geometry. It's grueling and awful. Usually, I'm pretty competent when it comes to school, but not when my brain is stuck in the summer mindset.

07.21.2017, 03:41 PM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hang in there, chum... It will soon be done.

07.21.2017, 09:49 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HL:
My friend and I went up on the Palm Springs Tram again today. I went up to read and enjoy the nice cool air way up on the mountain. Bob walked about 4-1/2 miles on the trails up there... And the great part again was that as Veterans, we go to go free again, like last week... We could have gone every day in the month of July! I met some good people to talk to as well as reading...

Post last edited by husky51 on 07.27.2017, 02:26 AM.

07.27.2017, 02:15 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

HL:
Arranged with the Mom of three of my grandkiddies to take them to lunch next Thursday followed by a movie, "Emoji"...Wish I could take more with me at the same time, but being spread out as they are, almost impossible to achieve at one time... Possibly later this year or next, I might be able to make it happen...

07.27.2017, 08:33 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HL: So I've been trying to plan a potential trip to Japan during cherry blossom season next spring (mainly Kansai region). Except kind of been drawing blanks on what I want to do because I'm not really into tourist attractions and I'd prefer getting to meet people.

I started looking into farming opportunities in Hokkaido because I'm trying to plan a one to two month long trip there during the summer in the next few years and then realized I could look into farming in Kansai area. So now I think I might do that! Mainly want to go to Kansai to reunite with old friends, although might be able to scoot down to Shikoku for a week if I do this.

Now just hoping my work's layoff period is at least a month long. Also, this is inspired pretty heavily from Only Yesterday. lol I had always wanted to try farming and that film.. just really impacted me.

08.01.2017, 08:58 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Are you familiar with WWOOF? It's an easy way to get to do farming things, and there are loads of opportunities with it all over Japan.

08.02.2017, 01:26 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

HL:
Went shooting today with two friends, Tara and Bob. She brought a .45 Colt automatic that her Uncle carried while fighting with Pershing and Stillwell... The automatic is valued at about $40,000... Also an >30 cal. M1Carbine from WWII. I also shot my own .38 specials 2" and 6" barrels...

We had lunch first, went shooting, then she got a tour of Bob's new OLD house from the 20's...

Then Bob and I drove around to different historical sites then went to my place where I shared some historical photos and information off of my computer... FUNs!

We even found a water fountain that had been dedicated by the Woman's Club Temperence Union in Dec 1911 and later moved twice before it ended up in its present location...

08.02.2017, 02:22 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
Are you familiar with WWOOF? It's an easy way to get to do farming things, and there are loads of opportunities with it all over Japan.

Yup, that's what I was looking into when I started thinking of Hokkaido. Was kind of surprised there are at least a few in Hyogo and around so going to look into them. At least there if anything went awry I have people I can depend on.

My friends are a bit worried if I can handle farmwork but I'm used to long shifts and factory work. I can also look into wwoofing opportunities in my own province because there's bound to be some for sure. My province is mostly agriculture and dairy farming.

08.02.2017, 09:06 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Even if you do feel the physical labour could be too much, there are a lot of options. Some wouldn't have much of that kind of thing at all, if you'd rather avoid it.

08.02.2017, 10:59 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
Even if you do feel the physical labour could be too much, there are a lot of options. Some wouldn't have much of that kind of thing at all, if you'd rather avoid it.

Pretty sure I could handle it! Probably better than getting sprayed with fish guts and blood in the face. I see there's a ton of cool options though!

I'm considering now doing it for 2-3 months, starting in South Korea and then move over to Japan, possibly spend a week in the Kansai area and head up to Hokkaido. I just need to work out costs because I am planning to return to school for at least one year. This would mean I cannot reapply to JET for next year but that's fine. It's the type of experience I know my area's coordinator will be super happy with me trying. I'll probably talk to her about it (perks of a small consulate with great staff).

08.02.2017, 11:31 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

@FFF
Good luck in your endeavors with WWOOF...

Wait a minute, that's my line!!!

Woof!

08.02.2017, 11:48 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

HHL:
Took 3 of my granddaughters to lunch at McDonalds yesterday and then a surprise trip to the movie's afterwards... I was teasing them that we were going to see "Atomic Blonde" while we were standing in line, lol... Bad Grandpa, lol...

The girls were ages 7, 10 and 12... As were got closer the 12 yu said, "But, Grandpa, it's an 'R" rated movie" and I said oh!... Oh, well... (snicker) When we went in we went over to the "Emoji" side... I said, Wait a minute, we're going in the wrong one!!!... Then I fess'd up and we went to the Emoji movie... Spent a little time afterwards looking at some historiccal pics on my computer at home before I stopped and picked up a Happy Meal for their little brother who had cried when we left their house earlier...

While driving them home, it started raining so bad, I had to stop and park in a parking lot until it eased up for a bit... we had an 1-1/2 inch of rain in a half-hour......

08.04.2017, 06:12 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.02.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Aw, that sounds fun, Husky! I'm glad you got some bonding time.

HL: I got employee of the month at work today! The best part was that it was accompanied by a 20 cent raise

08.04.2017, 07:41 PM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

quote:
Originally posted by FlareNetworkC

HL: I got employee of the month at work today! The best part was that it was accompanied by a 20 cent raise

So cool...

08.05.2017, 01:11 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HL: new fish~ We bought some pretty guppies and a couple of glowlight danios.

My Anime List

08.05.2017, 02:26 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Back in my mid-20's, I had fish... I liked the Tetra's and Neon's and small algae eaters in a 10 gal tank Even had a Mollie once.. In my 26 gat show tank I had a Tiger Oscar and a large Plecostemus algae eater. I had the Tiger since it was abt 2" long and when grown, if I slowly laid my hand flat in the water, palm up, the fish would come over and lay across my palm for a few seconds. Then I would toss in a couple of feeder goldfish. When the Tiger was about 4+inches long, I came home one day and the dang thing was laying on the floor... I picked it up and it was ok, but I had to put a screen cover over the tank and weight it dowm

When it was young, I started it off on Brine Shrimp, also known as Sea Monkey's. lol

I was at work one time and we had a pretty solid, rolling earthquake and the 26 gal tank was on a spindly metal floor stand. I was worried...lol It was ok, just a little wetness on the carpet...

That was the time I also had my little female white Rat, "Babe". I would put her on the bed ontop of my newspaper and run my fingers around the paper and she would chase my fingers and attack, lightly biting and clawing, then I would chase her and push her over on her back and tickle her tummy... I loved that little girl. I gave her and the fish to a neighbor boy when I moved to another city to where they didn't allow pets...

hahaha, I showed them, I got a parakeet that flew around when I was home...

Post last edited by husky51 on 08.05.2017, 04:23 PM.

08.05.2017, 04:17 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

HL:
Went to Bingo last night (first time in about a month) and had a lot of fun with my noise makers and the others that were there that I knew (or knew me,lol) and on top of that, split a win of $200 ($100 for me)...

A fun night...

08.09.2017, 12:01 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

LLL:

Dang it!!! I found a historical photo of the city where I live in my flash drive and picture collection while going through said collection for the purposes of sorting into a more manageable form... sigh

I spent about an hour going over the photo and highlighting a number of different point and landmarks in the photo. It is about 1958 or so and I had sent a copy to my friend Bob. He liked it (he is a lifelong resident of this city) and suggested that I show it to another friend that lived in that part of town and see what he thought.

The reason for my LLL? I lost it!!!

I spent about 3 hrs last night/this morning looking and no go. I tried looking at the copy that I sent Bob, but it pixelates and is not sharp enough to read the highlights that I added. This is one photo in thousands SIGH!!!

So, starting over today and hoping against hope that I find it straight away...

08.11.2017, 01:21 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

HHHHHL:
The gods are looking out for me today!!!!

I started my search by going through my files one by one and opening each folder in said file then on to the next file...

In the fourth file I opened...THERE IT WAS!!!

I think that I'll go buy a lottery ticket or two today... lol

08.11.2017, 02:35 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
[  «    ...  641  642  643  644  645  646  647  648  649  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks