QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  628  629  630  631  632  633  634  635  636  ...    »  ]
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
Whereabouts in Japan are you Arren?

Nishinomiya. Home of the Hanshin Tigers and Haruhi Suzumiya. And points if you know which Ghibli film takes place here.

Highlight: bought a microwave and Pokemon Moon.

Wait, there's a Ghibli film that takes place in Nishinomiya?! Omg why didn't I know that?? (EDIT: now I know which one~~)

If I visit/move to Japan next year, can I come meet you? Nishinomiya is the hometown of most of my friends. My best friend lives in Itami.

I'm sorry, I'm such a Hyogo fangirl. I literally almost squealed at my laptop. I actually put it on my JET app this year, they tend to hire quite a few teachers from my area to live in Hyogo (which says a lot because you won't meet many people from my part of Canada).

12.13.2016, 12:25 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Up On Poppy Hill is set there I think?

I didn't know Haruhi was set in a real place, are there recognizable places from the series or film?

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

12.13.2016, 01:27 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Up On Poppy Hill is set in Yokohama, so not even close. lol

Hyogo is in the Kansai region.

12.13.2016, 01:55 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:

I didn't know Haruhi was set in a real place, are there recognizable places from the series or film?

As FFF said, Poppy Hill is somewhere else entirely.

I've seen some photos that people have taken of locations from Haruhi. That part of town is a bit far away from my place though, so I haven't seen it for myself. I might take a look one of these days though.

FFF - I can't say I expected to hear the words "Hyogo fangirl" but that's cool. I think it was on my JET application too, maybe my second choice? I knew I wanted somewhere in Kansai. And sure, you're welcome to visit.

12.14.2016, 10:11 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Like I said, most of my friends are from that area. If I go to visit, Hyogo is the prefecture I'll be staying in for the most time. Although I'll probably be staying at my best friend's place in Itami. haha

12.14.2016, 11:25 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HL: just back from a trip to Kyoto and Nara! We went to Fushimi Inari Taisha and Toufukuji in Kyoto, and explored the deer park and went to Toudaiji in Nara. The Buddha statue at Toudaiji was incredible. Absolutely massive, towering over us all. I'd never seen anything like it in my life. And we were able to walk right up close and even touch it, which is never usually allowed. The Zen garden at Toufukuji was nice, it was a tranquil place. Fushimi Inari was too crowded, really, and we didn't have enough time there, but it was still nice to go. And feeding the deer was fun this morning. :3 Nice hotel too, ryokan style. Can't say I loved all the food, sashimi is just not for me. I've tried it, different kinds; tuna, salmon, squid, and it just doesn't appeal. Ah well. There were plenty of other bits I did like.

Shattered now. I'll sleep well tonight.

My Anime List

12.17.2016, 06:29 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

@Kazegami...

BRAT! lol

I'd love to be there... I once was able to visit the Buddha statue in Kamakura, I believe it was, back in the mid-60's and a temple somewhere near Yokosuka...

Thank you for the descriptions...

12.17.2016, 01:34 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Oh, I would like to go to Kamakura! I hear it's nice. Bit far from here though. ^^;

HL: nice time in Starbucks with a friend. The raspberry chocolate pie is so goooood.

LL: things dragged on a bit. I've been reminded how tiring I can find people. She's very nice, this person, but... well, it's difficult to get a word in edgeways. She has said more than once that she knows she talks a great deal and to just say if I want her to shush, but I don't feel there's any way of saying that without sounding rude, you know? Ah well.

My Anime List

12.18.2016, 09:07 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

hahahaha, I have the same problem... The talking a lot part that is... lol

Since I've become aware of of it though, I try not to monopolize the conversation...

12.18.2016, 12:17 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
belborges
Ohmu

Registration Date: 11.01.15
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by belborges Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HL: I'm packing to go to Sao Paulo tomorrow to visit my bf. :3

12.19.2016, 03:58 PM belborges is offline   Profile for belborges Add belborges to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Highlight: my parents arrived! It's a bit weird that they're here, but I'm looking forward to showing them stuff.

12.20.2016, 11:51 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Ahh, envious. I wish my parents were here for Christmas. Or better yet, that I was at home. T_T

My Anime List

12.20.2016, 01:31 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

HL: had a really lovely Christmas Eve in Nagoya with friends today. We went to the Christmas market and had some lovely food and mulled wine, went round the Osu shopping district, I got a gorgeous new coat for a great price, a bracelet from a nice crystals shop, my friend got a kimono, we went for curry, back the market for more mulled wine and then home. We're going to a nearby steakhouse for lunch tomorrow (since it's the closest we can find to Christmas dinner ) and in the evening, we're going to make our own mulled wine (can you tell I love the stuff?)! I'd been feeling pretty sad about my first Christmas away from family, but this has been so nice and I can actually look forward to tomorrow now.

My Anime List

12.24.2016, 08:40 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Your first Christmas in Japan is definitely a weird thing, but I'm glad you're having fun. I don't think I realised you were near Nagoya! Have you seen much of the anime shops around Osu? When I've been, I've either got confused looking for the right stuff or not had enough time.

12.24.2016, 10:10 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

@Kaz..

As you and most of the others here in the Tavern have found out, The first Christmas or other major holiday away from home and hearth and on your own is usually very lonely and wishing you were with family at home...

Glad that you are having such a great time...

Merry Christmas to all who celebrate and Best wishes to those who don't... And a very, very, Merry New Year to All!

Mulled wine, eh, Kaz...lol

12.24.2016, 02:46 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

@ arren
I've not really had a good chance to look round the anime shops myself! I'm sure there's good stuff to be found, though. I'll be back.

Anyway,

Merry Christmas, everyone! Hope you all have a wonderful day.

My Anime List

Post last edited by Kazegami on 12.25.2016, 03:46 AM.

12.25.2016, 03:46 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

hahaha, love the colors, Kaz...

PS, check your messages...

12.25.2016, 06:40 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
quote:

Which Ghibli film is it?

A very happy Christmas to all from me as well.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

12.25.2016, 10:18 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

quote:
quote:
quote:

Which Ghibli film is it?

Grave of the Fireflies. I think only part of it is set here though, and I haven't seen it recently enough to know exactly how much. Apparently there's a reservoir that was the setting for a very sad scene (not specified but I have some ideas) further up the hills though.

12.28.2016, 10:11 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

LL: I've finally caught a cold.

HL: Now to spend my mounting piles of 10 yen coins on the hot honey & lemon drinks from the vending machine.

My Anime List

12.28.2016, 10:48 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
[  «    ...  628  629  630  631  632  633  634  635  636  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks