QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  645  646  647  648  649  650  651  652  653  ...    »  ]
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Good luck NC!

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

12.15.2017, 01:30 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thanks guys! I hope FFF has some good news soon too.

12.15.2017, 05:21 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

WL:

LOL,

OK, I attended a mock debate last night about just where Irving Berlin wrote "White Christmas", reputed to be the best overall selling song in history.

The debaters had collaborated beforehand as to what they were going to say...

Many people, including Berlin himself, make claim of many different places where it may have been written...

I want to continue the fun for our town by being able to claim that, "I heard someone say..."..

What I would like all of you to do is claim some town in your own Country as the place where it was written (wink, wink) Even you, saviour in Bangladesh... lol

I will then tell these guys that "I heard someone say that..."

Thanks...

I will never claim that any of these are true, just that I heard...

Post last edited by husky51 on 12.15.2017, 08:32 PM.

12.15.2017, 07:23 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well then, Husky, I heard it was written in Scotland. Our snowy Highlands can be very inspiring.

HL: looovely Christmas party with friends. I am so full of nice food and mulled wine.

My Anime List

12.15.2017, 08:00 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Kazegami
HL: looovely Christmas party with friends. I am so full of nice food and mulled wine.

Nice food, mulled wine (which I've never tasted, btw...) sounds great!!!

Thanks for your input, lol... Written in the Highlands of Scotland! Who'd of thunk... lol

Not bad for a poor boy from Russia...

Post last edited by husky51 on 12.15.2017, 08:36 PM.

12.15.2017, 08:34 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

By an amazing co-incidence I was talking to a guy in the pub today and he told me that Irving Berlin knew his grandfather and wrote the song when staying at this gentleman's farm near Kettering in the English Midlands.

Sadly the farmhouse was demolished to make way for the A14 highway several years ago and its always been considered a great cultural tragedy.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

12.15.2017, 08:39 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
mulled wine (which I've never tasted, btw...) sounds great!!!

Never? Does it not really exist in the US? I highly recommend you try it if you get a chance, there's nothing better on a cold night.

My Anime List

12.15.2017, 08:40 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
By an amazing co-incidence I was talking to a guy in the pub today and he told me that Irving Berlin knew his grandfather and wrote the song when staying at this gentleman's farm near Kettering in the English Midlands.

Sadly the farmhouse was demolished to make way for the A14 highway several years ago and its always been considered a great cultural tragedy.

As you said, an amazing co-incidence And I'm sure that Berlin also mentioned somewhere about putting a copy of the original lyrics between the chimney stones for safekeeping!!!
(How's that for an amazing Christie theory, Kaz???) lol

I am going to do my darndest to find a place that servies mulled wine. There had GOTTA be a pub around here somewhere...

Post last edited by husky51 on 12.15.2017, 08:59 PM.

12.15.2017, 08:57 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I could be wrong, but I believe mulled cider might be more common in the States? That's pretty similar, and also very good.

My Anime List

12.15.2017, 09:15 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Just bought my advance ticket to Mary and the Witches Flower for January 18... yay!

Mulled Cider... ok, now I am going to check online listings for a pub... sigh...

12.15.2017, 10:05 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

You can buy mulled wine here in supermarkets too, though its often not as nice as freshly prepared wine at a Christmas market. Its drunk hot BTW, or at least warm, and sometimes with fruit added.

Its basically a sweet red wine but with various spices added.

I suppose you could think of it as quite a lot like a winter version of sangria.

12.16.2017, 07:26 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I imagine shops would be the best place to go to get mulled wine in the US, unless you have any Christmas markets going on near you. I think Ikea generally has it if you're near one.

Actually I have a bottle of it from Ikea that I didn't get round to having last Christmas. I need to remember to drink it!

12.16.2017, 08:23 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

I'll look around for an Ikea, I know there is one in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, but I don't really think they'd carry it there... lol

12.16.2017, 10:39 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Maybe just mulled grape juice in that branch.

12.16.2017, 10:41 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Started my Christmas shopping off by getting a bunch of gifts for a charity that distributes to less fortunate families. Pretty fun.

Also have some time off planned. Yay. Need the break before a stressful new year.

12.18.2017, 02:26 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
Maybe just mulled grape juice in that branch.

lol

12.18.2017, 03:43 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Hello fen! Long time no see! What will you do with your time off?

Highlight: got proper internet installed. They set it up really fast too!

12.20.2017, 02:27 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

fen, by any chance have you 'heard' and rumors about where Irving Berlin may have written the words to the song "White Christmas"?

wink, wink! read the earlier posts above^^^

Still waiting to hear any 'rumors' from saviour...

lol

I say again, it is a pleasure to see you again...

12.20.2017, 03:48 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Husky I've heard from a very reliable source that he wrote it on the snowy peaks of the Rockies in a cozy cabin.

I also went back three pages trying to find that part before realising it was just above.

Arren! It has been a while. I'm going to be sticking around home. Got plenty of errands and chores, and then usual holiday cheer and fam time. Maybe get out of the city for a couple days.

What are everyone else's holiday plans??

12.21.2017, 10:05 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Mine I suppose are a lot like other people's.

Visiting my daughter on Christmas Eve for fun and food. On Christmas Day driving over to my lady friend's place and spending a few days there doing generally hedonistic overindulgent stuff. On the 28th driving down to Kent to spend 2 or 3 days with my wargaming friends and we're going to be playing a couple of battles from our 1941 east front campaign (that's been running for years) whilst polishing off my friends Christmas food and of course a few beers...

Back home for new year. One of the pubs in my village does a good new year eve event with live bands and fireworks at midnight so I'll probably go to that.

12.21.2017, 01:25 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
[  «    ...  645  646  647  648  649  650  651  652  653  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks