QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  638  639  640  641  642  643  644  645  646  ...    »  ]
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HL: The election turned out about as well as I could have hoped, so that's something. It'll be... interesting to see how they work this situation out.

Also, going to izakaya and karaoke with friends tonight!

My Anime List

06.09.2017, 05:21 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'd say, throw in a kittle Hank Snow or Elvis Presley for me...

=========================================
edit
HL:
been talking to my daughter is why I'm up so late (yawn)
see ya all later...

" drifting along with the tumbling tumbleweeds..."

Post last edited by husky51 on 06.09.2017, 07:35 AM.

06.09.2017, 07:32 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Those moths are so pretty. <3 I found one before work one day.

HL: I got the interview sorted out and the person in charge is super friendly.

LL: They definitely know next to nothing about my province and expect my documents to be in the day of our interview. Ha. Haha. Let's hope and pray Canada Post doesn't mess me over. Plus one of my reference letters might arrive a day late and I asked them if that's alright because of the short notice, but all they keep telling me is it'll be fine as long as it arrives... the day of. I gave them estimates of how long regular and express mail from here takes to arrive in Toronto.

It would have been nice to have some prior notice or at least had the deadline posted on the website because I can't help that y'all want me to send a kajillion things and expect it to arrive in less than a week (plus my form indicates I work full time and I live rural so access to an open post office around my hours is scarce). Even express takes 2-3 days. :s

Anyway, hopefully it's all chill and dandy. As long as my referee doesn't decide last minute not to send it Monday. I highly doubt it'll arrive in Toronto by Wednesday though...

06.09.2017, 08:25 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm sure that we all are hoping for the best, FFF

06.09.2017, 08:39 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Haha, sorry for the mild freak out. I just realized my referee has access to an even faster/cheaper service through our school so it should all be a-okay. Was a little panicked for a moment, but my friend said it shouldn't be a big deal overall.

06.09.2017, 09:57 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.02.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HL: I finished reading Umineko today. What a profound experience.

LL: I simultaneously don't want and really want cross country to start tomorrow. I don't want to have to wake up early, but it will make me feel just a little bit more fit.

06.11.2017, 08:15 PM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

@FFF

Does this mean that we don't have to wish you luck anymore??? lol Funning with ya...

@ Flare

But if you want to succeed on the track, then you MUST train... right? Have fun...

06.11.2017, 10:25 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HL: went on a university trip to Gujo-hachiman yesterday; we went to a little company that makes realistic food models and even got to make some lettuce and tempura out of wax. It was fun!

LL: we only had about an hour there before we had to leave. D: I've wanted to go to Gujo-hachiman for ages but there was no time to explore.

My Anime List

06.16.2017, 11:43 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Haha, husky. All is good, I passed the initial screening and they received all of my documents.

HL: I never imagined factory work would uplift my spirits so much but I'm feeling great lately. I have really supportive coworkers. Wishing I'd applied to work there sooner.

06.17.2017, 10:29 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

@Kaz
Maybe next time you might have more time to look around...
--------------------------------------------

HLW:
(Highlight of my week)

I can't hardly believe it but since last Friday (the 16th) I have been out and about everyday except Thursday (22nd). I've put over 350 miles on my van just driving and spent the night at a friends house (Dave and Maria), had dinner, slept then breakfast; then to a Veterans Memorial where we are volunteers) My friend Bob was along on most of the traveling; a picnic (which I was late for); then to a paragliding site where I found out that a friend's daughter had made contact with him after 35 yrs. (he was 14 and the mother 16 when she was adopted out). He was so happy. Went back to the airpark on Sunday for a potluck dinner to celebrate.

Then on Monday called bingo at a lodge (I volunteer), Went to a charity bingo game on Tuesday; drove my friend Bob to a dr's appt on Wednesday (abt 100 miles round-trip) into the record heat of the area, qver 120 degrees F. then I went to see "Wonder Woman" that evening. Thursday, I did nothing but stay at home and watch TV, go online, etc. I was invited to go to a minor league baseball game, but I begged off this time to rest. Friday I went to the historical section of our local library, later hooked up with Bob again and we visited some local historical sites. Then another lunch, then home and work on historical stuff. Now (Sat) it's off to the barbershop an tomorrow morning off to another friend's restaurant (well, she is the manager, lol) for brunch and chit-chat with her. Her husband works at a local grocery store.

For me, this was an unusually busy week... Even was able to get in a few hours of leisurely reading...

somewhere...lol

Post last edited by husky51 on 06.24.2017, 12:15 PM.

06.24.2017, 12:07 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.02.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hahahaha, glad you were able to keep busy, Husky!

I had a pretty good week, too. Very lowkey, didn't have to work too much. I managed to make some progress on my writing, too.

HL: I'm currently enjoying the wonderful Ohio weather. My new house's backyard is right on the edge of a golf course, and with the wonderful view and the wonderful weather, I couldn't resist sitting outside and writing on a day like this

06.24.2017, 05:14 PM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

And then there is where I like... abt 46.6+Celsius, down from over 50C the last few days... (for those who don't use Farenheit scale.
116 to 123 F for those that do...

06.24.2017, 07:22 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

HL: Did my final interview, so should know in the next couple of weeks if I'm moving to Korea.

Whoa.

WL: Interview was cringe but after doing the JET interview twice... I feel like any interview is possible.

Post last edited by foreignfilmfreak on 06.26.2017, 09:43 PM.

06.26.2017, 09:42 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Good luck!

06.26.2017, 10:20 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Agreed, good luck, FFF, very good luck...

LL:
major fire started avery few miles from where I live, not likely to get to me, but it started about 7 hours ago and is already covering over 1500 acres and is only 10% contained at this time. It is an area that I am very knowledgable about and hope that the old structures in that area survive... As it is, they are abandoned unless some homeless have taken up residence out there...

06.27.2017, 01:16 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

FFF - Fingers crossed for you!

Husky - That doesn't sound good. D: Hope they get it under control soon. Stay safe, anyway...

HL: had a presentation today and it went pretty well, I think. It was a different format to the usual; the teacher had us make big posters about our topic and present to a couple of people at a time for about ten minutes - they then moved onto someone else's poster and new people would come along. I did mine on representations of tranvestism vs transgenderism in anime and manga, which was interesting to research. And it got me reading Wandering Son at last, which so far has been really great... It's a nice, mature take on the topic of a couple of young teens starting to grow up and realise they are transgender, becoming friends and supporting one another through their difficulties and in figuring out their identities. Obviously it's relatable for me, makes me think about things, but I'd recommend it to anyone based on what I've read so far.

LL: I have exams and stuff coming up, JLPT, and preparations for leaving the country in a couple of weeks. So much to dooooo. @_@

My Anime List

06.27.2017, 08:31 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

?L:
I'm not sure what you're feelings are on leaving Japan, probably mixed as mine would be. I know that the Japan of today is NOT the same as the Japan of my time over there, but I would still be hating to leave the country, but loving the idea of seeing my family and friends back home...

However you feel, good luck and Happy Homecoming...

edit:
hahaha, for one thing, the food that I love wouldn't be so darn expensive... Yakisoba and three pieces of Maguro shashimi was $17 USD. What would something like that be in today's yen?

The exchange rate when I was there was $1.00 USD = 360 yen. A lot different than now, I know...

Post last edited by husky51 on 06.27.2017, 02:08 PM.

06.27.2017, 02:02 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by Kazegami
FFF - Fingers crossed for you!

Husky - That doesn't sound good. D: Hope they get it under control soon. Stay safe, anyway...

HL: had a presentation today and it went pretty well, I think. It was a different format to the usual; the teacher had us make big posters about our topic and present to a couple of people at a time for about ten minutes - they then moved onto someone else's poster and new people would come along. I did mine on representations of tranvestism vs transgenderism in anime and manga, which was interesting to research. And it got me reading Wandering Son at last, which so far has been really great... It's a nice, mature take on the topic of a couple of young teens starting to grow up and realise they are transgender, becoming friends and supporting one another through their difficulties and in figuring out their identities. Obviously it's relatable for me, makes me think about things, but I'd recommend it to anyone based on what I've read so far.

LL: I have exams and stuff coming up, JLPT, and preparations for leaving the country in a couple of weeks. So much to dooooo. @_@

I wish I could get into Wandering Son, I'm not sure why I just can't get into Takako Shimura's manga.. I thought it sounded so awesome too. There's another manga that's pretty similar but a lot more problematic that I can't remember the title of, I think both were published around the same time.

Have you read Shimanami Tasogare yet? I wish Kamatani published chapters monthly but I guess they aren't going to do that (is this a new thing mangaka have been doing lately because I notice they have a ton of breaks). There is a transgender character and another character who is unsure what his gender identity is and is possibly non-binary. I love the way Kamatani wants to educate and engage readers at the same time and they have such a lovely way of doing that with their characters.

Post last edited by foreignfilmfreak on 06.27.2017, 07:16 PM.

06.27.2017, 07:11 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've meant to give Wandering Son a go for many years. I might watch the anime at some point.

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
hahaha, for one thing, the food that I love wouldn't be so darn expensive... Yakisoba and three pieces of Maguro shashimi was $17 USD. What would something like that be in today's yen?

The exchange rate when I was there was $1.00 USD = 360 yen. A lot different than now, I know...

You're right, the exchange rate is very different. A dollar is just over 100 yen now. But $17 for that still sounds outrageous! In yen that would be so much that I'd probably not pay that for a meal outside special occasions.

06.27.2017, 09:27 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
I've meant to give Wandering Son a go for many years. I might watch the anime at some point.

I planned to do that originally, but I read that it starts partway through the manga and a lot of things don't make sense without having read what comes before. So, reading first and watching later might be the best call. ^^;

My Anime List

06.27.2017, 11:48 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
[  «    ...  638  639  640  641  642  643  644  645  646  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks