QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  640  641  642  643  644  645  646  647  648  ...    »  ]
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HL:
A totally relaxing day today... Watched 3 movies and finished the last half of a book I was reading...

Found an old doll that belongs to one of my granddaughters, weird thing, got an eyepatch and parts of its coatume has red crosses on them... Hoping to return it to her tomorrow. Her mom said she's and they have been looking for it for almost a decade... lol

07.09.2017, 04:01 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HL: saw my first sumo tournament today! It was a lot of fun. One of the university staff that was with us even bought me and a couple of friends some chanko nabe (a kind of stew that sumo often eat).

My Anime List

07.10.2017, 07:45 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HHL:
got to spend some time with one of my sons fathers-in-law yesterday, just talking; spent some GREAT time visiting with some of my granddaughters and grandson and their parents (not my children) and having a good lunch at a Mexican restaurant with my friend Bob and waited on by the daughter of an OLD work mate... And finished the day by working on historical stuff... A great day...
======================================
Decades ago, when I was a kid living in San Diego I was able to tune in the Tijuana TV station that showed bull fighting every Saturday.

Then, when I was much older there was a weekly showing of Australian rules football.

Then not too long after that, there was a station that showed weekly Sumo matches. I loved the ritualized manner in which the bouts were conducted...

Then for a while there were the Full Contact PKA Karate matches. What blew me away with these were the manner in which the opponents conducted themselves. If a wrongful blow was struck, the opponent would immediately try to aid or at least apologize for the wrongful blow. Only on a very FEW occasions did I see any purposeful mis-conduct. I was impressed by this alone as opposed to regular boxing matches, which I did not enjoy...

Then they all went away from the daily or weekly TV screens...

I was fascinated by them all... One, the matches themselves and two, that I was even able to see them on American TV!!! Well, not the bullfighting, that was from across the border...

Then in later years seeing annual events like a crowd of people chasing a wheel of cheese down a steep hillside from somewhere in the British Isles...

And a bunch of Japanese men riding a huge log down a steep mountainside...

And, of course, the annual Running of the Bolls in Pampolona, Spain...

All we Americans had was Demolition Derbies with stripped down cars; figure eight racing; figure eight racing with a trailer; Rodeos, Roller Derby games on roller skates, relatively tame (?) stuff...lol

Post last edited by husky51 on 07.10.2017, 12:44 PM.

07.10.2017, 12:26 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Oh yeah, happy belated birthday, Kaz~. I was trying to wish you happy birthday over the weekend but I didn't have a proper wifi signal. Hope you had a fun day (also not sure/pretty sure it was your birthday).

HL/LL: I really like my job for some reason but I'm exhausted.. I want to get back into volunteering and gain some more experience/get my driver's license but I'm so tired. :/ Grr.. I know the only way to get my energy back is likely to find a different job..

I've decided to take back up art. I haven't drawn since high school..

07.10.2017, 07:10 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Farren
Baron

Registration Date: 07.18.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Farren Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HL: Spending time with my Lioness this evening. Catching up with a mate and having a great deep and meaningful. Doing more creative writing today, I'm up to the fifth chapter of a story I'm working on. There were a few highlights today

07.11.2017, 06:18 AM Farren is offline   Profile for Farren Add Farren to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

LL: leaving Japan. ; - ;
And I'm not entirely sure where my luggage is, I really hope it's okay. They couldn't put it on my flight from Hong Kong because the stop was too short so there wasn't time. Hopefully it shows up not long after I do...

I'm in Qatar right now. Next plane will take me back to Scotland. <3

My Anime List

07.13.2017, 04:43 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Aww, I didn't realise it was happening already. Well, I hope things work out alright with your luggage!

Highlight of yesterday: finally booked tickets to go home for a week in August. I was getting really stressed about it.

07.13.2017, 09:53 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

At our library, during the time our archivist was gone (and now he is back) Someone donated a scrapbook of a Japanese Internment Camp, an original, one of a kind and a package of 8 prints of an Ichiryusai Hiroshige ' woodprints under the title "8now Scenes of the Eastern Capitol" "Toto Yukimi Hakkei"

Does anyone recognize his name???

I found out about the gifts when I sat in on a Library Trustee meeting last evening.

It was decided to determine the value of the prints for possible sale. I found a set of 5 of the 8 prints on ebay for $65 plus shipping and bought them because I was so enamored with what I had seen yesterday.

As for the scrapbook, it was decided to check with the Los Angeles Japanese-American Museum to see if they would be interested in receiving it as a gift. I think they will be happy to accept it...

07.14.2017, 01:13 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Aww Kaz. I hope the transition to moving back home goes smoothly. <3 And that your luggage arrived.

HL: I keep being moved to higher paying jobs at work and everyone wants to keep me working for them (juggled around to different jobs). I could be making a pretty decent amount of money soon.

Not sure how this will affect me professionally. I keep feeling like I should be developing skills but I need the money to do so. And I feel happy with my job. I have a really strong work ethic. I'll probably be fine in the long run and besides it's interesting to tell people about my work. My friend who did JET did the same line of work and they placed her in agricultural high schools.

07.15.2017, 01:49 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

HL:
A long day... early morning Dr appt, then Karaoke at the rehab area, seeing some of my old friends from my stay at the hospital. Sang a few songs...had fun, leisurely lunch at MacDonalds hamburger and finished reading the last half of my novel, then home and online then doing historical stuff until now... EEK! it's almost 3:30AM!!!...

nite all, lol

07.15.2017, 06:27 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

HL: arrived home yesterday, great night's sleep in my soft, soft bed. And today Dad treated me to lunch at the nice inn we often go to for special occasions.

One of our dogs here was just a four-week-old pup when I left for Japan, and she's grown up so beautifully. Mum and Dad brought her with them when they came to pick me up from the airport. It didn't seem like she recognised me, but she was sleeping in my lap within a couple of minutes so she didn't seem to think I was a stranger either. We've been playing all day.

My Anime List

07.15.2017, 03:34 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

That's good to hear.

HL: My ex's last girlfriend who was dumped by him recently reached out to me. Was really good to finally have someone who understands me but I feel horrible for what she's going through. I'm just hoping she has a good support group in her country and can move on. Also found out he's a pathological liar.

07.15.2017, 08:03 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

@Kaz:

Glad to hear that you made the trip in one piece and since nothing was said about them, I am assuming that your luggage made it as well...

@FFF:

Glad to hear doing well and are able to reach out to your ex's now ex-girlfriend and that she has someone to talk to about the breakup...

HL:
Finally got a copy of Miss Hokusai today and will be able to watch it tonight

07.15.2017, 09:28 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Oh, let us know how it is, Husky! Been thinking about watching myself.

HL: nice, relaxing day~.

LL: lol, I think I forgot the sheer amount of dog hair in this house. It's on everything, everywhere, all of the time. I own too many black clothes for this. :')))

My Anime List

07.16.2017, 09:36 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Thanks, husky. I'm just glad she reached out. I think she felt much better after we talked. But really feel bad about what she's experienced.

I'm also pretty mad because he told her I have no ambition in life and that he felt responsible towards taking care of me. I scoffed. That comment alone has given me enough motivation to do everything I've set out to do. I'm just so disgusted.

HL: I had a friend open up to me. And it really meant a lot. Not sure why, when people feel they can tell me anything I'm very grateful that they trust me and want to talk to me.

Also, realizing I have a lot of skills I picked up from my degree that you never really notice.

07.16.2017, 10:23 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

@Kaz
you need one of those industrial size lint tape rollers!!!

@FFF
I told in here how, over the years since I was 16 (daymn, over a half century ago... ) ever since one of my friends sisters told me she was pregnant and what was she gonna do?!!! And I was still a virgin!!!

It is wonderful that people, male and female, feel confident enough in you to tell their troubles to you... But, it is also a burden...

One thing that I've learned over the years... Do not TELL them what to do! Merely listen and give 2 or 3 possible options and let THEM choose which path they wish to follow...

HL:
My friend is coming to visit with her new BF today... She is only abt 60, lol I've know her and her family (mom,dad, bros and sister) since she was 13...

07.16.2017, 11:28 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Oh, I never tell them what to do! I'm just thankful they feel comfortable with me. But most of the time they don't come to me for advice, but to talk about parts of themselves they are afraid to reveal to others.

I've never felt it was a burden. Most times it's hard to know how to answer right away but I'm always reassuring them.

07.16.2017, 07:16 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Best thing to do at the very least...

HL:
Enjoyed my time with my friend and her bf. Had lunch and did a lot of talking together at the restaurant. ten min after they left (they had to leave to pick up her dog) I finished my coffee and used the restroom... While coming out, people are yelling about a fire in the parking lot and streaming out the doors and then leaving the parking lot...

People were not endangered by fire, except the firemen, perhaps..brush along the freeway at the back fence that slowly spread to a storage bldg next door. Saw some looky-loos who pulled into the parking lot and blocking a fire engine until they BLASTED their horns.... idiots...

07.16.2017, 10:06 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

WL: I started using a language app to practice Japanese and help people with their English and I've somehow met a woman whose hometown is the same as most of my friends so we bonded over that. Then I randomly connected with a former student who studied abroad at my little university for a semester. Pretty cool but also unexpected! This happens a lot when I randomly encounter someone from Hyogo despite never being there myself.

HL: I have two weeks of vacation this year and am debating if I should go to Japan this year or next during my work's layoff period.. It would mean charging the flight ticket to my credit card and paying it off but that wouldn't take a long time.

It would also probably mean I might only be in the Kansai region but pretty sure a few of my Tokyo friends will kill me if I don't visit them.. lol Really wish I could visit my close friends in the inaka though..

07.17.2017, 10:24 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

meh!!!?

surely you jest, lol... I know, don't call you surely...

HL:
Woke up early after a late nite watching a movie... watched it again and enjoyed it more.
going back to bed for awhile.

HL:
going up in a tram up a nearby mountain with my friend. freebie for Veterans and military personnel this month. Bob's going to hike around some trails up there while I sit and read... sigh, my hiking days are history, lol But it will be nice and cool up there, get away from this desert heat...

07.18.2017, 11:07 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
[  «    ...  640  641  642  643  644  645  646  647  648  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks