QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - #2 What are you listening to right now?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » #2 What are you listening to right now? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  222  223  224  225  226  227  228  229  230  ...    »  ]
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've been reading and listening to some classical country again... Dolly Parton; Alabama; Patsy Cline; Johnny Cash; Johnny Rodriquez and others...

06.20.2017, 05:18 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.02.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I adore Johnny Cash, Husky! And Patsy Cline isn't bad either. Usually, if I'm going to listen to oldies, it's The Beatles, Johnny Cash, or The Beach Boys.

Estelle ft. Kanye West - American Boy

I love Kanye and I love Estelle because of Steven Universe, and this song is very catchy.

06.20.2017, 10:19 AM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I wish that there was a classical folk musical station so that I could listen to a variety of folk music. I do have a number of CD's of folk singers, but the variety is still better...

Beach Boys; Kingston Trio; Christy Ministrels; Judy Collins; Arlo Guthrie; Woody Guthrie; Barry Maguire; Joan Baez; Helen Reddy; man, there are just so many... Peter, Paul and Mary; Bob Dylan; The Grateful Dead; Pete Seeger; Simon and Garfunkel; Theodore Bikel; John Denver (now what film have I heard his music in)..

Hundreds of them...

06.20.2017, 11:18 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Nujabes- Aruarian Dance

I'm on a Nujabes kick at the moment. It's great homework music for studying for my temps test.

06.28.2017, 12:28 AM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Arcade Fire - The Suburbs

Recently found this gem of an album. I'm a couple years late for the Arcade Fire hullabaloo, but I'm still really enjoying this album

07.03.2017, 01:13 PM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
Farren
Baron

Registration Date: 07.18.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Farren Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Cable Ties - The Producer

07.03.2017, 10:55 PM Farren is offline   Profile for Farren Add Farren to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Rotation ~ Susumu Hirasawa

From the Millennium Actress OST.

My Anime List

07.04.2017, 11:50 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ahh you were listening to Hirasawa. <3 He's been my obsession since last year. If I could see him in concert I'd cry.

Kagrra, - Uzu

I can't believe it's been six years since Isshi passed away. It took years for me to listen to their music again after his passing.

Actually, his death is how I ended up getting more into Japanese indie and alternative music separate from visual kei bands.. I took a break from J-rock for two years after his death because it was just hard for some reason.

I have a pretty unique kimono I wore to my high school graduation in memory of him. I haven't found anything quite in the colour I found since and it always reminds me of him for some reason. Which is silly. lol Would like to take it to Japan someday and be able to find a proper obi and other items that would go well with it.

Post last edited by foreignfilmfreak on 07.10.2017, 11:00 PM.

07.10.2017, 11:00 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

I think that I remember that kimono... Wasn't it a red color?

I'm listening to more classical country music:

"Hey, Hey Good Lookin'" with Hank Williams
"Blanket on the Ground" with Billie Jo Spears
"Squid Jiggin' Ground" with Hank Snow, the Canadian Country Western singer who helped Elvis Presley get started... I believe he was from Nova Scotia...

07.10.2017, 11:19 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Farren
Baron

Registration Date: 07.18.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Farren Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The Drones - Oh My

07.18.2017, 03:53 AM Farren is offline   Profile for Farren Add Farren to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Leonard Cohen ~ Famous Blue Raincoat

We used to study this song's lyrics a lot during my undergrad. It's so sad but has a special meaning to me. I always forget that Cohen was Canadian.

07.19.2017, 10:25 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

"Help Me Make it Through The Night" by Willie Nelson

07.20.2017, 03:58 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Linkin Park - Leave Out All the Rest

I feel so heartbroken. Didn't hit me until my phone randomly played this song.

07.20.2017, 06:35 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

quote:
Originally posted by foreignfilmfreak
Linkin Park - Leave Out All the Rest

I feel so heartbroken. Didn't hit me until my phone randomly played this song.

Yes, Not a group that I generally listen to, but I have heard of them. Forget the name of the musician who died...

07.20.2017, 11:49 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Linkin Park - One More Light

I wasn't keen on their latest material, but this track is one that takes on a lot more meaning now.

I didn't expect it (well, I could never have expected it to happen at all of course) but it's really affected me. Now I think about it, Linkin Park were among the first bands I really got into.

07.21.2017, 08:39 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

They were going on tour with OOK so soon too. The guys seem pretty heartbroken since he was their idol and part of the reason they became a band. Lots of musicians are affected.

07.21.2017, 05:36 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

OK, a guy that I am acquainted with in Australia sent me this link: I have listened to and watched the video three times already and will be keeping this link for as long as I can.

Most of you weren't even born when this song was composed and sung. Yes, I knew that it was a tribute to the deaths of Buddy Holly, Richie Valens and the Big Bopper... And I figured out some of the other references in the song over the years (exam: Helter Skelter in it's reference to the killings by Charles Manson and his Tribe) But I never knew about so many of the other references until I watched this video.

Having lived through the 50's and 60's, I can relate to the 'sock hops', where we had to take our shoes off while dancing because it was usually in a gymnasium with varnished Basketball courts and the adults didn't want us to damage the floors with our street shoes.

Give a listen and tell me what you think...

http://youtu.be/VhX3b1h7GQw
Meaning of American Pie by Don McLean (w/lyrics)

Going to listen again...

================
Wow!!! Listened and watched again. I read in one of the comments where the poster was complaining about some of the grammar and spelling. I noticed this as well, but like the man said..."English was not my first language and so if I made an error or two, it wasn't on purpose. Watch the video and SEE what it is about and don't be so picky. (not his words, but the gist is there)

Enjoy...

Post last edited by husky51 on 07.28.2017, 04:18 AM.

07.28.2017, 04:01 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've seen several videos that put lyrics to the song and try to interpret them. I don't think Don's original lyrics have ever been made public and people disagree on the exact words. For example did Lennon read a book on Marx or did Lenin read a book on Marx?

Each video uploader puts his or her own interpretation on the words and to me that's the beauty of music and lyrics - for every person it means something different in a way that's personal to them.

There probably is not a complete meaning to the song's words, perhaps not even for Don who may have written some of them simply because they sounded right and created a certain mood or expression in his mind.

==========================================

M83 - Oblivion OST

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

07.28.2017, 12:04 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

hahaha, good point on Lennon and Lenin... Quite possibly both of them did, but who is to know now who Don was referring to... I watched it 2 or 3 times more last night...

07.28.2017, 03:47 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Charli XCX - Boys

I love, love, love this music video. It is everything. Was surprised to see Chromeo, Jay, and Taka in it. But even moreso when Theo from Hurts popped up.

07.28.2017, 11:32 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
[  «    ...  222  223  224  225  226  227  228  229  230  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks