QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Neon Genesis Evangelion
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » Neon Genesis Evangelion » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2    »  ]
Mnemosyne
Tanuki

Registration Date: 03.07.08
  Neon Genesis Evangelion Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mnemosyne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I would assume there already was a thread on this, but I couldnt find one, so I made one. But if there is already one, well, sorry for that.

Anyways, I love this show! I'm about halfway through the series, and almost done with the manga. I don't know why I love it so much, but I really do. My favorite character is Rei. She is so cool, although she almost never talks. Shinji is also awsome, 'cause he's always so afraid, and dare I say, emo. Asuka is funny, but she can be a little annoying. But I really love the plotline. It's just so out there, it's a breath of fresh air. And it's addicting. So, anyother fans out there?

P.S. A piece of advice, do NOT watch Eva and SNL before going to bed.

Regret is a needle
In my neck
It's slowly filling me with Poison
Spreading to my chest

-From Forsaken by Skillet

Say it Nem-OH-sen-ee.

05.18.2008, 12:08 AM Mnemosyne is offline   Profile for Mnemosyne Add Mnemosyne to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yes, I watched it a couple of weeks ago, obviously not the whole things, I forget how many parts to it there are. I watched the first one and to me the plot was a little confusing what with the shifting times (no more to be said, spoiler)

Maybe I'll get it again and try to follow thru some more and maybe it will make more sense to me then...

or it might be that I'm just too dang old to follow it, lol...

05.18.2008, 12:36 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
T.C.
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.28.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by T.C. Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

just recently finished watching it.. it was very good but i personally had a problem with the last two episodes.. whether i didnt completely understand what was going on or that it just got boring for me i dont know. i preferred earlier on when the whole teenage allegory thing was more subtle.
I would like to know which of the EVA movies i should watch, having just seen the series..?

PS: you may very well have unleashed the dreaded "EVA-love-gasm-frenzy" i hope you realise..

Post last edited by T.C. on 05.18.2008, 02:34 AM.

05.18.2008, 02:32 AM T.C. is offline   Profile for T.C. Add T.C. to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The movie to watch T.C. is "End of Evangelion". The other one "Death and Rebirth" is a bit odd, not odd weird but an odd choice of content since it is 66% a recap of teh whole series and 33% a continuation of teh story but not ALL the story - it ends just when things are getting good - "End of" then finishes that story but NOT where "D and R" ends! Confusing, yes. So just watch "End of".

And EVA is my favourite anime of all time, its just - ah words can't describe it. "Whisper" is my favourite Ghibli and while you just can't compare EVA to Whisper since they are so different I really can't decide if I might like EVA more than Whisper or not.

@ Mnem : is you are halfway through EVA then you are just at the point where it really begins to get good. If you like Rei, you'll love ep.13's start where she speaks her poem or song. Just really pay attention to the words, really really hard. After the series ends and you've discovered Rei's background, come back to ep.13 and listen again. I get goosebumps down my spine every time I heaar that song/poem.

And guys - no spoilers here please about Rei, let's let Mnem find out for herself

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 05.18.2008, 03:35 AM.

05.18.2008, 03:33 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
T.C.
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by T.C. Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
The movie to watch T.C. is "End of Evangelion". The other one "Death and Rebirth" is a bit odd, not odd weird but an odd choice of content since it is 66% a recap of teh whole series and 33% a continuation of teh story but not ALL the story - it ends just when things are getting good - "End of" then finishes that story but NOT where "D and R" ends! Confusing, yes. So just watch "End of".

ah, ok.. i think Death and Rebirth is the one ive seen around so ill have to hunt down the other one then.. hopefully it will put the end of the series into place a little more for me.

i hear ALOT about how good EVA is from people but i dont have the same opinion really.. it is good, quite good and i can see why its a classic.. more to the point though i cant see why some other things arent classics when i compare.. i guess its just audience preference in the end. eva doent quite make it into my list ot top favourites i dont think.

05.18.2008, 06:22 AM T.C. is offline   Profile for T.C. Add T.C. to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

TC, I'm curious. What other series do you think should be considered "classics"?

I haven't seen EVA yet, by the way.

05.18.2008, 06:41 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
T.C.
Totoro

the main one for me is Samurai Champloo. While it might still be considered pretty new it certainly isnt unknown. It gets the occassional really good review but nowhere near the amoun of recognition i think it deserves.
Also Mushishi is like nothing ive ever seen before.. but of course this may just have alot to do with that which i have seen before.

05.19.2008, 05:50 AM T.C. is offline   Profile for T.C. Add T.C. to your buddy list
Maho_Fushida
Baron

Registration Date: 09.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Maho_Fushida Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I would say Cowboy Bebop is a classic, it's combination of subject and style sets it apart.

05.20.2008, 08:18 AM Maho_Fushida is offline   Profile for Maho_Fushida Add Maho_Fushida to your buddy list
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by T.C.
the main one for me is Samurai Champloo. While it might still be considered pretty new it certainly isnt unknown. It gets the occassional really good review but nowhere near the amoun of recognition i think it deserves.
Also Mushishi is like nothing ive ever seen before.. but of course this may just have alot to do with that which i have seen before.

I whole heartedly agree with Mushishi being a classic. It was easily one of the best series ive seen. Im starting to drop NGE more and more as I watch new series. I still think it is a must watch, but it isn't even in my top 5 anymore.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

05.20.2008, 12:46 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Mushishi is too new to be a classic. I think a classic has to be over a certain age to prove it stands the test of time. Think classic cars, you don't get new classic cars, they become classic after about 20 years. Next year something could come out that will over shadow Mushishi but since it was made nothing has overshadowed EVA, nor for that matter Bebop.

I'd suggest that all classic anime needs to have been made before about 2000.

I think Fooly Cooly deserves to be (in a year or two's time ) and subsequently Haibane Renmei and Paranoia Agent as well, all ground breaking original stories that make you think.

I'd like to think Haruhi Suzumiya will be a classic in years to come as well due to its novel and original story timeline shuffling.

Hm, Azu Dai definitely as well

We need a classic anime thread

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 05.20.2008, 04:08 PM.

05.20.2008, 04:06 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think regardless of age, Mushishi can be considered a classic because it is so damn good. It will be like a hall of fame induction where they waive the waiting time and just put it in there.

The waiting time is there so that it can be judged 'accurately'. Now, some series wait forever and are great but simply get lost, and others are rushed to the forefront and have the decisions made too fast. I see why its there, but then again, classic-ness in automobiles is usually defined as waiting a certain period of time. My uncles truck is 28 years old. The thing was a pile when it was made, and its an even bigger a pile after 28 years. Yet it is considered a classic. It abides by the rules, but then again, these are the issues that are delt with when things are judged and classified.

For my money, id put NGE in classic status, I just think it is slipping against other series I have been watching. Id rate Mushishi higher than NGE right now as I love the story, the presentation and originality. Now NGE as all those qualities, but simply put as of now, Mushishi is superior to me. My opinion.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

05.20.2008, 04:40 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

A truck that's 28 years old and is a crock, isn't necessarily a classic, its just a 28 year old crock truck Classic means old and "fantastic/iconic/stylish/original", not just old

"Fantastic/iconic/stylish/original" is what we need to define for anime. "Brilliant" and "Very Good" now don't necessarily mean it'll be a classic anime in 8-10 years time.

I've bought the Mushishi set but not begun watching it yet. I'll get back to you when I'm done. I know it's good, I've read the reviews and seen the screenies, which is why I bought it.

Heh, I may even agree with you

05.20.2008, 04:56 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
A truck that's 28 years old and is a crock, isn't necessarily a classic, its just a 28 year old crock truck Classic means old and "fantastic/iconic/stylish/original", not just old

"Fantastic/iconic/stylish/original" is what we need to define for anime. "Brilliant" and "Very Good" now don't necessarily mean it'll be a classic anime in 8-10 years time.

I've bought the Mushishi set but not begun watching it yet. I'll get back to you when I'm done. I know it's good, I've read the reviews and seen the screenies, which is why I bought it.

Heh, I may even agree with you

Yeah but technically, according to what I know over here, any vehicle over 25 years old and still in running condition is considered a classic. I guess there is an iconic definition of classic that is a sub category of classic. I hate defining things.

And you better enjoy Mushishi, you can disagree with me on many other things, but its a home run series, perfectly perfect. I would begin to wonder of your mental state if you are too far off and hate it.

Click for Gallery^^

05.20.2008, 05:17 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

No, I'm looking forward to it, I know I'm going to like it.

And no, 'classic' must be SPECIAL long befor eit's just 'old'. Britain is full of crap old cars, all over 25 years old and very few of them are classics. But for anime I think we're talking something different, something that has a special spark of style or originality in plot, story, characters or art. And which isn't superceded by something similar which came later and did it better.

Struggling to get back to the topic again... Serial Experiments Lain might be another, the classic open ended story that in itself has no one clear meaning and the viewer puts their own meaning on it from a huge choice of possibles. Now Boogiepop Phantom tried to do something similar in the way it played about with the sequence of people and places and times but it failed somehow, maybe due to something as simple as production values killed it. That and a lack of light, it was so dark it was physically tiring to watch. Horrible!

05.20.2008, 06:45 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Id have to put Higurashi no naku koro ni (& Kai) in for pure story and originality. The violence is a bit of a turn off for some, but its so original and interesting that its over lookable and to some people an asset.

Click for Gallery^^

05.20.2008, 08:08 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ugh, don't like the character designs in Higurashi. I never bothered watching it cuz of that so can't say if it's a classic or not. Though I see where Saddles is coming from...it's hard to say something is classic after only a year. Then again, the animation gets better as time passes and people lose interest in the animes old enough to be considered classics so that age rule doesn't always apply to anime.

Anyways...classics...I agree with Saddles about NGE and AzuDai, Lain as well (though not sure about that one). I'll add Macross, Rayearth, Astroboy, ROD, Escaflowne, Vampire Hunter D, Chobits, Saikano, Gundam Wing, omg Sailor Moon xD, H&C, Rurouni Kenshin, Van...(er can't remember but it's got a Van in it), Initial D, Card Captor Sakura, Furi Kuri, GTO, Samurai Champloo, Scryed, Noir, GitS, Kodocha, Ranma 1/2, Outlaw Star, Kaikan Phrase, Fushigi Yuugi, Ayashi no Ceres, Slam Dunk, Love Hina, Ah My Goddess, Yu Yu Hakusho, Flame of Recca, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop...Maison Ikokkoku, oh Kimagure Orange Road, Urusei Yatsura, Tenchi Muyu (?), Lupin III ...um... Doraemon!

Ahh...what a trip down memory lane of anime...those good old days when I actually used to watch anime with some shred of committment xP It took me a while to remember all these titles. And I think, for the most part, they are considered anime classics.

Maybe later, I'll post some of the newer animes that I think might be classics xD

05.21.2008, 09:01 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Love Hina is a weird choice. I quite enjoyed the manga (although got bored with that eventually and never finished it) but found the anime weak, tiresome, the same as 1000 others and instantly forgettable.

05.21.2008, 09:04 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Oh I never liked it much but I'm pretty sure it's considered a classic by a lot of people.

edit: lol, I totally didn't notice this was the Eva thread...

Post last edited by fenkashi on 05.21.2008, 09:07 PM.

05.21.2008, 09:06 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

@Fenky, its morphed into a classic anime thread, so we are off topic, but still sorta on topic. Better than we usually do.

I agree with you on higurashi to an extent. The first season's character design was slightly different from the second season's. Consistency would have been nice, but I still give it major creativity and originality points. Was very fresh.

I really cant disagree with much of your classifications outside of maybe Gundam Wing. The movie was really good, but it usually gets throttled for quality compared to the others.

You also remind me that I need to rewatch Macross, I saw bits and pieces of it as a kid and it was always one of these series that I never had a chance to really see, but found it pretty intense as a kid.

Click for Gallery^^

05.21.2008, 09:16 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I saw you mention GITS, Fen. I was more thinking of TV series here, rather than movies and while GITS 1 is definitely a classic among classics as far as movies go I don't think any of the TV series deserves that label. Otherwise I'd have mentioned Akira right up top and a half-dozen Ghibli's too.

Its hard to classify anime classics isn't it? Just because "a lot of people say so" doesn't make it a classic, it needs to have intrinsic value, whether plot, story, fresh ideas, style, music, art, whatever. Love Hina has none of these (to labour a point we've already covered).

05.21.2008, 09:24 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
[  1  2    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks