QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Is Kiki a pointless kiddie movie?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Ghibli Discussions Is Kiki a pointless kiddie movie? Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Oldie newbie

Registration Date: 01.15.05
  Is Kiki a pointless kiddie movie?Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Jiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Some people say that, among all the works of Miyazaki, "Kiki's Delivery Service" is the worst of all. They claim that there is not much a storyline in _Kiki_. Kiki loses power for no reason and the movie ends without explanation. Furthermore, The characters know nothing but laugh all the time. There is not a single inner message, making it even weaker when compared with other Miyazaki classics. The pace is also slow and the story becomes episodic, especially after Kiki's loss of power, making it particularly dull and boring. For such a badly made movie, it can appeal no one but the kids.

I suppose my own stance on this issue is pretty obvious *nyan* . However I would like know what the general Ghibli fans feel about this movie. How true do you think is the statement above? And is the movie overrated or underrated?

Post last edited by Jiji on 01.20.2005, 04:05 PM.

01.20.2005, 03:36 PM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
Unregistered User

Registration Date:
  I disagree..Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Sure, it may be aimed towards kids, but I see some underlying messages in this movie. Kiki was off on her own and for the first time she was immersed in a world where she was meeting strangers and seeing the colder side of the human nature.
Lots of the kids in the movie turned their noses up at her and judged her by her black dress and cat. Se was really lonely (in case you didn't notice) and was living the life of a person too far beyond her years. Her only friends were adults, because those were the only people she would willingly interact with. Notice how the kids in the movie act toward grown-ups? The boy rejects his aunt's gift, and the granddaughter who she delivers pie to outright insults her grandmother.
When she gets sick Gigi begins leaving her more often. The cabin scene with Ursula is also very important. It's not all too hard to get at least one message out of that part. But basically, Kiki realizes that there are more important things than her pride, and she saves the life of a boy who initially offended her. It's her job, as delivery girl and as a person, to serve others.
The pace of the movie is slow because things like that can't just be said, then move on to the next thing. Unlike some of Miyazaki's, this isn't an action movie, it's a story. There's a reason for the slow pace.
I don't know what kind of ending you wanted to see, but I got the impression that Kiki befriended some kids her own age, helped them finish the flying machiene, and proved herself a good citizen. Her family remained a part of her life, as well.
So, I think the messages of the movie are in stereotyping, independence, and also humility.
It's not the kind of movie you can really dig deep down into. Sometimes just sit back and enjoy the nice artwork in it. It really isn't all that bad.

01.23.2005, 03:42 AM  
Jiji
Oldie newbie

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Jiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Guest
Se was really lonely (in case you didn't notice) and was living the life of a person too far beyond her years...
... I don't know what kind of ending you wanted to see, but I got the impression that Kiki befriended some kids her own age, helped them finish the flying machiene, and proved herself a good citizen. Her family remained a part of her life, as well.

Just a friendly clarification, I am totally against that statement. I thought my stance was quite clear, but it comes to my impression that you are a bit confused. Well, how can someone who is called Jiji, looks like and meows like a black cat hates the movie so much? *nyan*

I agree with you for most of your points. I am sick with all those who shout at the movies with blinded eyes and make accusations without evidence. So it is nice to see someone trying to analyse the movie with a logical mind.

In my opinion, _Kiki_ is just like many other Miyazaki movies, with different levels of values. For the most which treat it as just another movie/anime/cartoon, they can only get the face value. That is the enjoyment of seeing the movie. For those who seriously treat it with respect and dig deep into it, they can get nearer to the inner value.

It is not really that hard to find the messages inside _Kiki_, as you have pointed out. There are messages on growth, development, inter-personal relationship, self-value, and many others. The reason of why Kiki lost her power and the meaning of the ending is also not that hard to grasp.

Actually, the main idea of adapting to and working in a new environment may be more applicable to young adults who start to work, rather than kids that stay in the green houses all day. The movie may appeal to the kids, but it is certainly not directly aimed at the kids, at least most of the inner messages are not. (so it is not a kiddish movie, and this is one of the points I disagree with you)

I think those who made the statement above are among those who tend to regard a movie as "inferior" to the others simply because it focuses on the matters of personal relationship, or does not have a grand epic theme. And when they have labelled a movie as "inferior", they will try to nitpick on the minor stuff so as to prove their view, instead of assessing the movie in a critical way. That explains some of the funny points found in their accusations. To me, all kinds of themes are of equal value and importance. The only thing that matter is the quality of the movie itself: how the story is presented, how the characters are developed, etc.

Post last edited by Jiji on 01.23.2005, 03:14 PM.

01.23.2005, 11:08 AM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I dont see how Kiki can be called the worst or childish, considering that Totoro is even more childish and has even less to offer.

IMO the only reason why these ppl cry foul is becuz the movie was overrated, and so criticised it more. In any case, if its targeted at kids, learn to view it through a kid's eyeview.

That, or they based it on Disney's dub

Kiki is a simple story with a simple plot and simple characters with simple problems with lots of simple lessons to be learnt. Its digestible, and hence likeable to most ppl. Theres nothing complicated at all. No matter how deep u dig into the movie's intricate details, u won't find anything complicated.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

01.28.2005, 09:25 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Melfina
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 02.24.05
My thoughts on KiKiPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Melfina Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i belive that KiKi has a totally different feel. Compared to his other films it may seem a little childish but it is also a heart warming tale of a young girl trying to find her way in life. i relate to KiKi on different levels shes clumsy and a little weird but shes a character that anyone can relate to. but in my own experince with this movie i know the kids i babysit love it but they also love anything and everything by the great Myazaki

02.25.2005, 04:24 PM Melfina is offline   Profile for Melfina Add Melfina to your buddy list
Jiji
Oldie newbie

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Jiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Melfina
... it is also a heart warming tale of a young girl trying to find her way in life. i relate to KiKi on different levels shes clumsy and a little weird but shes a character that anyone can relate to...

I agree. Kiki is actually a reflection of ourselves behind the screen, and everyone of us has a part of her clumsiness and weirdness inside us. It is her imperfect nature that lets us to be able to relate to her, understand her hardships with life and share her joy and sorrow.

As much as I enjoy the movie of Nausicaa, her all-too-perfect character forces me to respect her at a distance, and let her stay inside the screen. While Kiki is just a normal girl. But with flesh and blood, she can pop out of the screen anytime, and to be close to us in real life.

02.27.2005, 01:45 PM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
DistantSmile
Kodama

Registration Date: 05.31.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by DistantSmile Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Jiji
Kiki is actually a reflection of ourselves behind the screen, and everyone of us has a part of her clumsiness and weirdness inside us. It is her imperfect nature that lets us to be able to relate to her, understand her hardships with life and share her joy and sorrow.

There is no way, absolutely NO WAY that Kiki is a pointless movie. There were meanings behind the screen.

Kiki starts off childish and clumsy, but throughout the movie she learns about life. Remember the part with Ursula? How Ursula said that she had an artists' block for a long time, and when she met Kiki she could suddenly paint?

Yes, that's another important part.

Anyhow, Kiki is a meaningful movie, though directed toward younger kids.

05.31.2006, 08:22 AM DistantSmile is offline   Profile for DistantSmile Add DistantSmile to your buddy list Homepage of DistantSmile
dballred
Ohmu

Registration Date: 04.24.06
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by dballred Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Of course, I would totally disagree with any notion that this is a pointless or a kiddie movie. It's an animated film drawn, directed and (sorry about this, Ms. Kadono) written by Hayao Miyazaki. He did not skimp anywhere. There are no Disney-like one-dimensional characters and there were no artistic shortcuts taken.

Kiddie films, by definition, are for kids. Adults can only tolerate kiddie films--not enjoy and appreciate them. My Little Pony stories are kiddie fare.

Pointless films, by definition, have no point. Miyazaki pontificates a lot in his films--and this one's no exception. This makes lots of points about what people who find themselves in new surroundings face. This story has many parallels to Mister Smith Goes to Washington, where the young Senator comes to town triumphantly only to be shot down minutes later. He soon learns there are many obstacles to overcome.

It's also about growing up and discovering yourself. While it's something that most adults have done already, it's not done in a routine way. Kiki is quite a complex person, and how she handles things is fascinating.

06.01.2006, 11:49 AM dballred is offline   Profile for dballred Add dballred to your buddy list Send an Email to dballred Homepage of dballred
I-B4-E THUG
Baron

Registration Date: 01.03.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by I-B4-E THUG Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

umm, i didn't read any of that other stuff cuz it was to long & i'm really lazy, but i really enjoyed Kiki. it was uplifting, wasn't really that seriouse. it's a happy attitude movie, not a kiddies movie
cheers

06.03.2006, 03:58 AM I-B4-E THUG is offline   Profile for I-B4-E THUG Add I-B4-E THUG to your buddy list
shiawase
Ohmu

Registration Date: 03.09.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by shiawase Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Kiki was awesome. I thought it was going to be a kiddie movie but as soon as she took off on her broom at the beginning I knew I was in for an adventure beyond childish film.

~Akarui Tsubasa~

I will save myself from the world I created.

06.03.2006, 05:06 AM shiawase is offline   Profile for shiawase Add shiawase to your buddy list Send an Email to shiawase Homepage of shiawase
micg huz
Calcifer

Registration Date: 05.01.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by micg huz Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

kikis is soooooooo cool. even is it is a bit of a kids movie. you can take from it what you will, and there are lesons in ther if your into finding them. but its simply such a lovely strorey about trying and acheiving in life, that is a good enough motivation for the movie alone - you dont have to read in layers of meaning for it to be effective. its just enjoyable.
the only thing that worries me though it - does she ever get to speak to jiji again - becouse even after she gets her flyin back and saves her freind (i think hes called tombo) jiji still speaks like a cat. im so wrorried about this becouse jiji is the coolest charactor in the movie partly for his dialoge.

06.04.2006, 09:29 AM micg huz is offline   Profile for micg huz Add micg huz to your buddy list Send an Email to micg huz
IluvHowl06
Ohmu

Registration Date: 03.19.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by IluvHowl06 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I enjoyed kik very much! i thought it was really cute, but i also think that Miyazaki could have put forth more work into it to make it have a stronger mean.

06.04.2006, 09:34 PM IluvHowl06 is offline   Profile for IluvHowl06 Add IluvHowl06 to your buddy list
lindseybermudez
Kodama

Registration Date: 06.07.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by lindseybermudez Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i still think kiki's dilivery service was an amazing movie. just because as a kid i always woundered what it would be like to fly on a broom stick away for everything. just that idea made it good for me.

♥Boricua Anime Freak 4 Life♥

06.07.2006, 11:58 AM lindseybermudez is offline   Profile for lindseybermudez Add lindseybermudez to your buddy list Send an Email to lindseybermudez Homepage of lindseybermudez YIM Screenname: lindseybermudez@yahoo.com
arren
Kodama

Registration Date: 06.11.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I love Kiki!! She is soo cool! It might not be my favorite ghibli film but it's nowhere near the bottom of my list!

one day I tried to explain Spirited Away to Tess (who doesn't watch anime)...

Tess: but see that's just weird! I mean what would you think if your boyfriend suddenly turned into a dragon?

Me: (short pause) THAT WOULD BE SO COOL!!

06.11.2006, 07:00 PM arren is offline   Profile for arren Add arren to your buddy list
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks