QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Ghibli, Miyazaki etc. News
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Ghibli Discussions Ghibli, Miyazaki etc. News Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...    »  ]
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

So, critics in Japan have been invited to watch the preview of the movie?

Well, it may not be so true. After all, consider Harry Potter sequels, which are so bad you wonder why they are even screened in the first place (my opinion and many others, btw). Yet so many critics give it the thumbs up because "It's Harry Potter", and box office ratings go up because of fans.

Ghibli would be the same. Like me, who, while admitting to be a big fan of Ghibli, found TCR to be okay at best, and HMC to be a big disappointment.

Either way, critics' reviews are only to be taken with a pinch of salt. They are in the end, still only a review of another someone.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

07.24.2006, 05:09 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Pendragon
Calcifer

Registration Date: 06.12.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Pendragon Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think if Gedo Senki's showed maybe people like it. I can't wait to see...

I've just found this. But I am sure that many people're probably saw it

The trailer 3
http://youtube.com/watch?v=GtIA1Ez4njg&a...ch=Gedo%20Senki

Howl avatar made by ushitora Thanks!

Post last edited by Pendragon on 07.24.2006, 08:35 AM.

07.24.2006, 08:34 AM Pendragon is offline   Profile for Pendragon Add Pendragon to your buddy list
dballred
Ohmu

Registration Date: 04.24.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by dballred Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I finally saw my first theatrical Gedo trailer today. There's something not quite right with the backgrounds. They have a slight watercolor look about them in some instances and a paint by numbers look in other cases. In other words, the photorealism you normally see in Ghibli backgrounds is not there.

07.24.2006, 09:01 AM dballred is offline   Profile for dballred Add dballred to your buddy list Send an Email to dballred Homepage of dballred
Kanta
Warawara

Registration Date: 05.26.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kanta Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

warning spoiler

So many general people were invited to preview all around Japan.
There are many posters for Gedo (more than 260) at Yahoo movie previewer’s site.
They aren’t professional critics, but some might have intentional ill will.
They are almost critical. They say……
1. Dialogue is too much, but motion is less.
2. Story is only explained by dialogue but stream.
3. Gedo and Aren only talk and walk but do nothing.
4. Circumstances and the world can’t be seen at all.
5. Things sometimes happen without any explanations and hints are sometimes left unsolved. So audiences need preparation with the book.
6. Voice actors are terrible. Often can’t catch what they say. Japanese subtitle needed.
7. Dark and weird. Nothing funny. Children can't endure even 30 minutes.
8. No wonder Hayao watched the preview only half and got out the theater.

I haven’t watched yet and I can’t judge. Soon the truth will be obvious. I’ll watch next week.
Anyway, I heard same as such criticism when Fireflies, Only yesterday, Whisper were released. I think Japanese movie critics and OTAKU tend to hate Ghibli (especially Takahata)and Yamada Yoji(great director).

07.24.2006, 12:19 PM Kanta is offline   Profile for Kanta Add Kanta to your buddy list
Daniel Thomas
Tanuki

Registration Date: 06.30.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Daniel Thomas Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hmm. I thought Howl's Castle was magnificent. Of course, a lot of Americans were thrown off, but that has more to do with their own expectations (Disney fairy tale, Harry Potter), than their understanding of Miyazaki's career.

I wouldn't worry about Gedo Senki just yet. The movie hasn't been released yet. July 29 is the day it goes public. What you're hearing are the Comic Book Guys who simply have an axe to grind. You should be wise enough to take anything you read off the internets with a huge grain of salt.

Except me. You should accept everything I say without question. Now throw your wallets up on stage. Ahem.

The greater question for us is, Will we get to see Tales From Earthsea in America? Disney thoroughly buried Howl's Castle and Spirited Away, despite Pixar and John Lasseter's relentless work. I doubt we'll ever see it in theatres. If we're lucky, it could end up on DVD; even then, Disney has dragged its heels, and doesn't seem willing to release the remaining Ghibli films.

Well, in any case, thank goodness for the internets. I can't believe I'd even think that....but what other choice do we have?

07.24.2006, 03:55 PM Daniel Thomas is offline   Profile for Daniel Thomas Add Daniel Thomas to your buddy list
nanafan
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.14.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by nanafan Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

yeah i know all to well about when howl's moving castle came out it only showed in one theater in missouri and i had to go pretty far to see it..

07.24.2006, 08:13 PM nanafan is offline   Profile for nanafan Add nanafan to your buddy list
Phyrra
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Phyrra Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Thomas
You should accept everything I say without question. Now throw your wallets up on stage. Ahem.

If we're lucky, it could end up on DVD; even then, Disney has dragged its heels, and doesn't seem willing to release the remaining Ghibli films.

Lol, that was very funny

I'm not very knowledgable with the whole 'Disney and Ghibli partnership', but all my ghibli DVDs come from Optimum Releasing. Surely they'll put Gedo Senki onto DVD...

...that is unless I'm missing something about Disney not letting Optimum Releasing having the film in the first place... who decides?

I think I'm completely confused, so I'll stop. Why would there be a problem with releasing it?

Thanks to mpw3d who made ths amazing sig! The avatar was made by Sarah, from www.digik.net

07.25.2006, 07:11 AM Phyrra is offline   Profile for Phyrra Add Phyrra to your buddy list
E_Hakki
Ohmu

Registration Date: 12.29.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by E_Hakki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Phyrra
I'm not very knowledgable with the whole 'Disney and Ghibli partnership', but all my ghibli DVDs come from Optimum Releasing. Surely they'll put Gedo Senki onto DVD...

...that is unless I'm missing something about Disney not letting Optimum Releasing having the film in the first place... who decides?

I think I'm completely confused, so I'll stop. Why would there be a problem with releasing it?

I think Daniel Thomas was refering to the whole business surrounding Only Yesterday's 'indefinite postponing', now revised to a limited Australian/UK release without being dubbed. Whilst all the non-feature length Ghibli animes are not even part of the Disney-Tokuma deal. We have yet to recieve any information on Ocean Waves too.

In relation to Gedo Senki, I'm certain it will recieve an international DVD release with a disney dub...but whether it will be released theatrically is doubtful. I guess it depends on how well it is recieved in Japan.

http://rapidshare.com/files/119113404/My..._Comic.rar.html
Imouto He Scans -
http://rapidshare.com/files/120625788/Imouto_He.rar.html
Le Roi Et L'Oiseau English Subs -
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=J732GAHR
Original Mononoke Story in English -
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=K8A2YGU6

07.25.2006, 02:02 PM E_Hakki is offline   Profile for E_Hakki Add E_Hakki to your buddy list
wushu-4-ever
Warawara

Registration Date: 06.06.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by wushu-4-ever Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

25th of July, NHK PROFESSIONAL TOSHIO SUZUKI DVD, GEDO SENKI, AOI TESHIMA: Various news today… The Toshio Suzuki episode of NHK’s show called “Professional” is coming to DVD, Gedo Senki articles and info on Aoi Teshima. Her debut single, the theme song of Gedo Senki called "Therru's song", is a big hit. It’s at the top of the charts of Japanese online music store MySound.jp for example. Aoi Teshima’s debut album has also been released and for those who haven’t bought it yet, you can listen to 45 seconds of each track at MySound.jp. And an interview with Aoi Teshima with her giving answers to 16 questions.

http://www.ghibliworld.com/news.html#2507

07.25.2006, 02:19 PM wushu-4-ever is offline   Profile for wushu-4-ever Add wushu-4-ever to your buddy list Homepage of wushu-4-ever
Phyrra
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Phyrra Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thank you for clearing that up, E_Hakki. I had a look at the Disney-Tokuma deal, and it all makes much more sense now. 8]

quote:
In relation to Gedo Senki, I'm certain it will recieve an international DVD release with a disney dub...but whether it will be released theatrically is doubtful. I guess it depends on how well it is recieved in Japan.

I completely agree... Obviously, I do hope that disney decide to realise it in theaters. I guess we will have to wait and see...

Thanks to mpw3d who made ths amazing sig! The avatar was made by Sarah, from www.digik.net

07.25.2006, 04:51 PM Phyrra is offline   Profile for Phyrra Add Phyrra to your buddy list
Kanta
Warawara

Registration Date: 05.26.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kanta Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Everyone here is so kind to Goro like a family. I'm glad to hear those words.
But here is a bad news.

Asahi (most authoritative newspaper, not drink maker) announced review about animation movies for summer vacation.
“Tokiwo kakeru syoujo” -------The best. It’s already a classic.
“Brave Story” ------Good, script is well made, beautiful
“Cars” -------Orthodox entertainment
“Gedo” --------Not good. Director is just an amateur.
It says, “Tokiwo” is directed by Hosoda Mmoru who was once selected as a director for “Howl” but soon rejected by Hayao and he is as old as Goro. This time he might be able to revenge. "Tokiwo" is a sort of a time trip girl story.

07.25.2006, 08:34 PM Kanta is offline   Profile for Kanta Add Kanta to your buddy list
dballred
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by dballred Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Kanta
But here is a bad news.

Asahi (most authoritative newspaper, not drink maker) announced review about animation movies for summer vacation.
It says, “Tokiwo” is directed by Hosoda Mmoru who was once selected as a director for “Howl” but soon rejected by Hayao and he is as old as Goro. This time he might be able to revenge. "Tokiwo" is a sort of a time trip girl story.

I agree that Toki wo kakeru Shoujo is a great film, but it was playing at only one theater in Tokyo (Shinjuku San Chome) and two in Chiba Prefecture. I went to see it (at the Makuhari in Chiba) on a Sunday afternoon and the hall was nearly empty.

07.25.2006, 09:46 PM dballred is offline   Profile for dballred Add dballred to your buddy list Send an Email to dballred Homepage of dballred
nanafan
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by nanafan Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

they better release it...i wanna see for myself if it's good..

07.26.2006, 11:42 AM nanafan is offline   Profile for nanafan Add nanafan to your buddy list
Pendragon
Calcifer

Registration Date: 06.12.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Pendragon Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
But here is a bad news.

ohhh I really feel terrible..

Howl avatar made by ushitora Thanks!

07.26.2006, 12:25 PM Pendragon is offline   Profile for Pendragon Add Pendragon to your buddy list
Jiji
Oldie newbie

Registration Date: 01.15.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Jiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Glad to see a fairly positive comment on the film...

http://jasongray.blogspot.com/2006/07/ta...-screening.html

Anyway we'd better see the film ourself and judge it by its own merits. Preference is something highly subjective, and some of my anime favourites have been bashed as being utter crap by the majority. I am trying my best not to get swinged by the opinions of others. Yet, being a Ghibli fan, I'd really love to see more praises and positive comments floating around. Contradictory, perhaps?

quote:
But here is a bad news.

quote:
Originally posted by Pendragon
ohhh I really feel terrible..

Having your directorial debut released as a Ghibli film is both a blessing and a curse. The studio has too impressive of a past record that every audience has unreasonably high expectations. Though the loyal following can ensure, at the very least, a satisfactory box-office, people are almost taking it granted that a new Ghibli film is going to be a new pinnacle of the industry, and will eagerly compare it with the previous top Ghibli works.

Frankly, even Hayao Miyazaki himself failed to live up to this kind of hype. Howl get bashed by fans and crtics alike, just because it is not the best of Ghibli, even though it is a well-made film per se. Practically, it takes time for everything, including polishing directorial and anime production skill. I would say even a talented new director will at least need a few more movie projects before he can reach his pinnacle and has a chance to surpass the best of the industry.

So it is not surprising that Gedo is going to get through some tough treatments when facing the public. Certainly there can be miracles, but if miracles happened everyday, they shoudn't be called as miracles at all. ;P

P.S. The director of "Toki wo kakeru Shoujo" is Mamoru Hoshoda, the one who get sacked at the middle of the production of Howl, and had the director's seat taken over by Hayao Miyazaki. A strike back?

07.26.2006, 01:57 PM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
nanafan
Totoro

yeah that's true it takes time to get better at stuff like that. eh i love howl..it was a really good movie

07.26.2006, 11:14 PM nanafan is offline   Profile for nanafan Add nanafan to your buddy list
wushu-4-ever
Warawara

Registration Date: 06.06.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by wushu-4-ever Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

27th of July, CHECK OUT GEDO SENKI YOURSELF AT THE 63RD VENICE FILM FESTIVAL: Got some nice news! It’s time to find out what’s true and check out Gedo Senki yourself, because it will be part of this years 63rd Venice Film Festival.

Posted all the info over here:
http://www.ghibliworld.com/news.html#2707

Post last edited by wushu-4-ever on 07.27.2006, 02:26 PM.

07.27.2006, 02:04 PM wushu-4-ever is offline   Profile for wushu-4-ever Add wushu-4-ever to your buddy list Homepage of wushu-4-ever
nanashi
Ohmu

Registration Date: 01.27.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by nanashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ged-Senki Trailer3 for the theater
http://rose-schwarzes.hp.infoseek.co.jp/...ki-trailer3.mpg (176x120 8MB)

--------------------------------------------------
King: Masaka na.
King: Arren!

Arren: Boku wa Chichi wo kooshitanda.
Therru: E!?
Arren: Wakaranainda doushite annakoto wo shitanoka.
Arren: Hyaku ikanakya. Yatsu ga kiteshimau.

Ged: Arren, saa ikou.
Arren: Anata no onamae wa?
Ged: Haitaka da.

Arren: Kono machi wa okashiidesu.
Ged: Iya, kono machi dakejanaisa.

Hazia dealer: Joudan janeeyo majinai-yarou. Douse omae mo mahou ga tsukaeneendarou.
The Mistres: Kyoubi daremo majinainante shinjiyashinainosa.
Hare: Konoataride kao ni kizu no aru mahoutsukai wo mitsuketara, Dai-mahoutsukai Kumo sama ga osagashida to ittoke!

Arren: Aa, kita.

Arren: Haitaka no koto yoku shitterundesuka?
Tenar: Furui tsukiaidawa, atashi wo hikari no naka ni tsuredashite kuretandawa.
Tenar: Tatta hitoride shi wo ??? Haitaka.

Ged: Kikinasai Arren. Konoyoni eienni ikitsudukeru mononado ariwashinainoda. Jibun ga itsuka shinu toiukoto wo shitteu toiukotowa, warewarega ten kara sazukatta subarashii okurimono nanodayo.

Cob: Sare!

Therru: Koushite inochi wa zutto tsuduite ikundayo.
--------------------------------------------------

Post last edited by nanashi on 07.27.2006, 05:09 PM.

07.27.2006, 05:06 PM nanashi is offline   Profile for nanashi Add nanashi to your buddy list
E_Hakki
Ohmu

Registration Date: 12.29.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by E_Hakki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hehe, thanks for the third trailer Nanashi....its very low quality, but nvm.

Following on....here is Gedo Senki trailer 2 again, but this time in far higher quality and without adverts (I ripped it directly from the Ghibli website). Enjoy!

Download it here -
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MUELV4P3

Youtube -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5ehRnwNDs8

http://rapidshare.com/files/119113404/My..._Comic.rar.html
Imouto He Scans -
http://rapidshare.com/files/120625788/Imouto_He.rar.html
Le Roi Et L'Oiseau English Subs -
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=J732GAHR
Original Mononoke Story in English -
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=K8A2YGU6

07.27.2006, 09:19 PM E_Hakki is offline   Profile for E_Hakki Add E_Hakki to your buddy list
dballred
Ohmu

Got My Ticket!Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by dballred Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'll be able to see Gedo Senki opening day tomorrow at a digital screen theater. Don't know how it will be, but I should be able to post my impressions soon afterward.

07.27.2006, 11:32 PM dballred is offline   Profile for dballred Add dballred to your buddy list Send an Email to dballred Homepage of dballred
[  «    ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks