QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Ghibli, Miyazaki etc. News
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Ghibli Discussions Ghibli, Miyazaki etc. News Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  ...    »  ]
Calforsale
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I read somewhere (perhaps here?) that he was working on a manga. That isn't really retirement?

01.08.2014, 08:14 AM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think that was already a finished work, a porco sequel of sorts I think.

Also, if Miyazaki ever retires, I think it will only be when he's six feet under Even Suzuki thinks that way, according to a fuzzy memory of a past interview with him. They say great men like him will never retire, and that includes many people like Gandhi, Warren Buffet, etc etc. They just don't see work as work, more as a task or a hobby.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

01.08.2014, 09:30 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Calforsale
I read somewhere (perhaps here?) that he was working on a manga. That isn't really retirement?

yeah you read it here.

actually he said retirement from full length film.

so shorts for ghibli museum and other kind of works that he does will be going on.

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

01.08.2014, 09:32 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
saviour2012
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
I think that was already a finished work, a porco sequel of sorts I think.

Also, if Miyazaki ever retires, I think it will only be when he's six feet under Even Suzuki thinks that way, according to a fuzzy memory of a past interview with him. They say great men like him will never retire, and that includes many people like Gandhi, Warren Buffet, etc etc. They just don't see work as work, more as a task or a hobby.

no roar he is working on a samurai manga

i have not read nausicaa nor mononoke . but will try to read it if someone translates it.

here is the link

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/201...previewed-on-tv

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 01.08.2014, 09:36 AM.

01.08.2014, 09:33 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
i have not read nausicaa nor mononoke . but will try to read it if someone translates it.

The Nausicaa manga already has an official translation. I've just been rereading my volumes, in fact.

01.08.2014, 10:01 AM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
saviour2012
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by Theowne
quote:

The Nausicaa manga already has an official translation. I've just been rereading my volumes, in fact.

thanks.

truth to be told don't want to read nausicaa or mononoke.

cause the ending is good enough for me.

hayao miyazaki wanted to give a more complete ending in these.

however i have read five or six pages of nausicaa

one of the bests, absolutely.

01.08.2014, 10:12 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Theowne
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:

Not quite. The Mononoke-hime manga (that I know of) is only mildly related to the later film, and the film is the more substantial work by far. So it has nothing to do with Miyazaki wanting to give a "better ending".

But Nausicaa is a whole other story. The Nausicaa manga is far more substantial than the film, and the film had to rush to give a cinematic finish to an incomplete story. In fact, Miyazaki himself always regretted the way he ended the Nausicaa film.

Many consider the Nausicaa manga to be his best creation, better than all his films. I don't necessarily agree, but I can see where they're coming from.

Post last edited by Theowne on 01.08.2014, 12:18 PM.

01.08.2014, 12:16 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
saviour2012
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by Theowne
quote:

Not quite. The Mononoke-hime manga (that I know of) is only mildly related to the later film, and the film is the more substantial work by far. So it has nothing to do with Miyazaki wanting to give a "better ending".

But Nausicaa is a whole other story. The Nausicaa manga is far more substantial than the film, and the film had to rush to give a cinematic finish to an incomplete story. In fact, Miyazaki himself always regretted the way he ended the Nausicaa film.

Many consider the Nausicaa manga to be his best creation, better than all his films. I don't necessarily agree, but I can see where they're coming from.

spoiler alert spoiler alert

I agree

I am actually one of those who say nausicaa is his best creation but not his best film. That would be spirited away or mononoke even porco rosso might have a chance if you consider depth.Nausicaa could have been best if it was done later.then ofcourse we might not even have a studio ghibli LOL.

Still the first scence of nausicaa that the lord yupa visiting a dead village was something that can only be compared with the feelings that of star wars[i watched star wars from 1-6 many here saw it like 4-6 then 1-3]. I did not knew about anime much then and i watched it dubbed. i think after watching it the next day i joined tavern and made the sub vs dub thread. For nausicaa and mononoke or even for all the ghiblis i liked the dubs more than the subs. the only exception is totoro. Even my little sister who dont understand english well nor japanese liked totoro very much just watching it.

I think this feeling that resonates over the watchers is something only great directors can do.

that is why hayao miyazaki is sometimes compared with Spielberg, Lucas or Disney.

so do you think i might get some more broad overview of a post-apocalyptic scenario by reading nausicaa?

and from your comment i do not need to read mononoke.right?

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 01.08.2014, 12:40 PM.

01.08.2014, 12:38 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Theowne
Baron

Well, I'm not sure I agree with the comparisons to Star Wars or those directors, or the comment on dubs, but that's a different discussion for a different time.

Whether you should read them or not is not really something I can answer. As a Ghibli enthusiast I find most things created by Miyazaki to be worth a read regardless of scope or length. I was simply making the point that the Nausicaa film is only a taste of the entire Nausicaa story and that the manga is one of his most highly regarded creations.

Post last edited by Theowne on 01.08.2014, 08:11 PM.

01.08.2014, 01:46 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
Calforsale
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2014/01/30/gh...-of-anime-fans/

01.30.2014, 09:50 PM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Interesting. When I saw the title I found myself agreeing, but his explanation was a little different from what I was thinking. Rather than being an issue of the staff at animation studios, I think of the problem being that the industry these days involves a lot of pandering to that otaku audience. Studios make a lot of money from that demographic, so they either make stuff directly targeted at them, or include elements in other works that will have the same effect. So I'd say the problem stems from particular stereotypes and templates being perceived as lucrative (pretty accurate it would seem) and then being regurgitated to the point where they no longer resemble reality.

01.31.2014, 01:10 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
saviour2012
Baron

This just seems to be a confirmation of my theory.

i liked these lines

" Oh, yeah, girls
like this exist in real life"he means those girls dont exist)

" And that’s why the
industry is full of otaku"cause it(animized anime) displays unrealistic characters and behavior.

problem is when i say the same thing many cant agree with me. LOL.

@arren
if i understand correctly you are saying money is the issue. But many other studios(in west asia europe) that make money dont need to emphasize on that animized version of people. it is a fact that the people in most studio want to make money without real hardwork. but there is a fact in arren's. that is studios want to be on the safe side. i understood this when i saw codegeass. that story could have easily said by normal characters but the studio wanted that it dont lose those stupid otakus so they made it like that.

Ghibli can only be ghibli to risk everything on a single movie is something only they can do. other people are just not confident enough.

01.31.2014, 02:15 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Koda
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.09.13
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Koda Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I had my monthly visit to Chinatown yester, during a trip to London. We went loads of places, but Chinatown and Tokyo Toys is always the highlight for me.

I got tons of noodles, Hello Panda biscuits and some T Shirts.

I came across a big group of girls, slightly younger than myself. They all went into Tokyo Toys and started fangirling about the Naruto stuff.

I said to one of the girls, what other anime do you watch.

The girls replied what's anime, I was done so done.

How can someone watch Anime, and not realise it?

01.31.2014, 06:54 AM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
Interesting. When I saw the title I found myself agreeing, but his explanation was a little different from what I was thinking. Rather than being an issue of the staff at animation studios, I think of the problem being that the industry these days involves a lot of pandering to that otaku audience. Studios make a lot of money from that demographic, so they either make stuff directly targeted at them, or include elements in other works that will have the same effect. So I'd say the problem stems from particular stereotypes and templates being perceived as lucrative (pretty accurate it would seem) and then being regurgitated to the point where they no longer resemble reality.

I think Miyazaki's missing the point of the term "fantasy". Think about it. Would doraemon or Crayon Shin-chan be half a popular if it was drawn with the style of GITS?

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

01.31.2014, 11:50 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I read between the lines and assumed Miyazaki was referring to girls with huge chests and other exaggerated body features, versus the in-proportion people he draws.

Saviour picked up on his comment that "Yeah girls like this exist in real life" and assumed he was saying they don't. I was seeing it the other way, with the drawing Miyazaki was doing being a typical in-proportion normal figure, so they do exist, his comment was that animators don't draw them that way.

I think Arren has it right; anime studios produce what sells and the stuff made is driven by the wants of the biggest markets, not the preferences of the animators and directors. If you pander to the biggest market, you'll always be pandering to the most uncritical and even the basest.

While I agree with Roarkiller that centain genres need certain treatments, and this applies in live action film as well, for example the larger than life comic book characters from Star Wars suit that film, while the gritty, realistic, cynical characters from Band of Brothers suit that one. That's not so much what Miyazaki is saying I don't think, more that why is there more Star Wars comic-book storytelling done and less gritty docu-tainment like Band of Brothers.

Market demand, as always.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

01.31.2014, 12:26 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
leonbloy
Warawara

Registration Date: 10.26.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by leonbloy Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
“Almost all Japanese animation is produced with hardly any basis taken from observing real people, you know. It’s produced by humans who can’t stand looking at other humans.”

I liked that.

01.31.2014, 12:34 PM leonbloy is offline   Profile for leonbloy Add leonbloy to your buddy list Homepage of leonbloy
saviour2012
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
I read between the lines and assumed Miyazaki was referring to girls with huge chests and other exaggerated body features, versus the in-proportion people he draws.

Saviour picked up on his comment that "Yeah girls like this exist in real life" and assumed he was saying they don't. I was seeing it the other way, with the drawing Miyazaki was doing being a typical in-proportion normal figure, so they do exist, his comment was that animators don't draw them that way.

I think Arren has it right; anime studios produce what sells and the stuff made is driven by the wants of the biggest markets, not the preferences of the animators and directors. If you pander to the biggest market, you'll always be pandering to the most uncritical and even the basest.

While I agree with Roarkiller that centain genres need certain treatments, and this applies in live action film as well, for example the larger than life comic book characters from Star Wars suit that film, while the gritty, realistic, cynical characters from Band of Brothers suit that one. That's not so much what Miyazaki is saying I don't think, more that why is there more Star Wars comic-book storytelling done and less gritty docu-tainment like Band of Brothers.

Market demand, as always.

i actually meant what you said. as you can see i used those not these. LOL

WL:man its stupid that my parenthesis gets converted to cry face.

and i think you got that point in different way. he dont mean costume he means the aspect that a character should be in real life. and i dont know why you always have to bring huge breasted topic in this. it is more about the intent rather than the exterior.

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 01.31.2014, 03:44 PM.

01.31.2014, 03:38 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

He has to be referring to their physical shape because he's talking about drawing them. Drawing is an entirely visual thing, so he's talking about the look of the character.

If he meant the personality and types of characters his comments would be aimed at directors, voice casting directors and voice actors, but he's not talking about that.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

01.31.2014, 05:24 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think he's talking about both. Because, like Roar said, there are more and less realistic styles of drawing; I don't think he is criticizing Doraemon simply for adopting a cartoony style with disproportionate bodies. Animation can go a long way towards establishing the personality of a character, and, if the characters move realistically, can help ground even the most fantastic situations.

I definitely would agree that most anime characters seem to be animated based on how other anime characters are animated, not on any observation of the way real people move and behave. The reason Miyazaki's works are so universally beloved, I think, is that even when they are wildly fantastical, the characters are recognizably real. The reason the rest of anime is comparatively niche is that in 8 out of 10 cases the characters don't behave like human beings; the exaggerated reactions and superdeformed antics are something the average person will find baffling.

Post last edited by Orphic Okapi on 01.31.2014, 07:02 PM.

01.31.2014, 07:01 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Theowne
Baron

I agree with Orphic. I do not believe that the physical shape of a character is all that Miyazaki was thinking about here. Yes, drawing is purely visual, but the art of drawing and animating movement and behaviour is about much more.

Anyways, this is not the first time that Miyazaki has shown his distaste for large segments of the anime industry in Japan, though it's the first time I've heard him use the term "otaku" by name.

Post last edited by Theowne on 02.01.2014, 12:13 AM.

01.31.2014, 10:31 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
[  «    ...  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks