QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Ghibli, Miyazaki etc. News
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Ghibli Discussions Ghibli, Miyazaki etc. News Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  ...    »  ]
oldwrench
Warawara

Registration Date: 02.23.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by oldwrench Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Don't know if this is interesting, or if this is where to post it, but, Miyazaki was selected as one of the most creative people in business, by Fast Company Magazine. This being a magazine covering mostly business and technology people, I was somewhat surprised to find Hayao Miyazaki listed at #31 in their list.

"When Pixar's animators need inspiration, they watch Hayao Miyazaki's movies. The giant of anime has been elevating cartoons into epic cinematic events for more than two decades, with fantastic, award-winning films such as My Neighbor Totoro and Spirited Away."

You can check out who he is listed with on this page.

http://www.fastcompany.com/100/2009/hayao-miyazaki

06.17.2009, 02:02 PM oldwrench is offline   Profile for oldwrench Add oldwrench to your buddy list YIM Screenname: oldwrench2000
Tai Kushimura
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 07.03.09
  The concert of Joe Hisaishi : 25th Anniversary of GhibliPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Tai Kushimura Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Now is available in Japan on DVD and Blu-ray the concert of Joe Hisaishi : Live in Budokan for the concert of 25th anniversary of Miyazaki Works , a concert extraordinary to see absolutely. I wonder if Disney will fit on DVD in North America.

Here the edition of the japanese DVD on CD Japan Website :
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=VWDZ-8130

Post last edited by Tai Kushimura on 07.03.2009, 08:12 PM.

07.03.2009, 08:11 PM Tai Kushimura is offline   Profile for Tai Kushimura Add Tai Kushimura to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Nice. Are there any clips from the DVD as a preview? I mean I like the composer, but not sure if I may like the DVD.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

07.04.2009, 12:16 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Tai Kushimura
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 07.03.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Tai Kushimura Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yes Of course, I have excerpts of his concert at Budokan,

The first is from the movie Nausicaa of the Valley of the Winds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6dxilwpv9o

the second was Princess Mononoke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4cnd0wAVDI

the third is Kiki Delivery Service
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gluY5FdKtRE

and the fourth clip is Spirited Away
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Wl7Cw6f5tI

If the concert is distributed in North America, I see an extended scene with the full concert performance as well as bonus features interesting interviews with musicians who have attended concerts by Joe Hisaishi and have taken some of the music of his films for example the french canadian violonist Angele Dubeau, an interview with John Williams the composer of E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial, Indiana Jones and Harry Potter as he told the inspiration of Joe through the music he had composed and finally an interview of John Lasseter who he tell the inspiration of the music of Joe Hisaishi from the movies of Miyazaki and Studio Disney.

07.04.2009, 11:16 AM Tai Kushimura is offline   Profile for Tai Kushimura Add Tai Kushimura to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Delayed reply, but...

Wow. That is impressive. They even came up with new lyrics for pieces without lyrics. And Hisaishi is as amazing as usual at the piano, although I'd prefer to see him more involved than just as a conductor.

I think he had another earlier concert where he was much more involved instead of a conductor, but I don't know if there's a DVD for that.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

07.16.2009, 10:43 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Artoo
Warawara

Registration Date: 07.19.07
  Miyazaki Feature in EMPIRE 243 (UK)Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Artoo Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The new issue of EMPIRE (243, September 2009) has a 10-page feature article on Hayao Miyazaki (pages 114-123).

It has comments from Miyazaki (translated into English) on each of his feature films from Cagliostro to Ponyo. It's not the most detailed or revealing thing ever for existing Ghibli fans, but it's still nice and good to see some proper coverage in such a mainstream film magazine (probably the most popular) here in the UK.

08.03.2009, 05:19 PM Artoo is offline   Profile for Artoo Add Artoo to your buddy list
Seiji Amasawa
Warawara

Registration Date: 07.10.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Seiji Amasawa Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ghibli Composer Joe Hisaishi Awarded Medal of Honour

The Japanese government has announced on Monday that it will award Joe Hisaishi, the composer internationally known for his work on most of the films from Studio Ghibli, with a Medal of Honour. The full name of Hisaishi's award is the Medal of Honour with Purple Ribbon. Square Enix Holdings chairman Yasuhiro Fukushima and Wild 7 television writer Shunsaku Ikehata will also be honored with medals. 558 men and 120 women will receive Medals of Honour this fall.

The Japanese government then announced on Tuesday that Nobuhiko Obayashi, the director of dozens of films such as the 1983 live-action Toki o Kakeru Shōjo film and the 1984 Shounen Keniya anime film, will receive The Order of the Rising Sun, Gold Rays with Rosette. Prolific manga translator and scholar Frederik L. Schodt received the same award this past spring. In all, 4,024 Japanese nationals and 61 foreigners will receive The Order of the Rising Sun and similar commendations this fall.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com.au/news/...medal-of-honour

11.18.2009, 12:25 AM Seiji Amasawa is offline   Profile for Seiji Amasawa Add Seiji Amasawa to your buddy list
hakuxcondition
Kodama

Registration Date: 08.04.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by hakuxcondition Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Seiji Amasawa
Ghibli Composer Joe Hisaishi Awarded Medal of Honour

The Japanese government has announced on Monday that it will award Joe Hisaishi, the composer internationally known for his work on most of the films from Studio Ghibli, with a Medal of Honour. The full name of Hisaishi's award is the Medal of Honour with Purple Ribbon. Square Enix Holdings chairman Yasuhiro Fukushima and Wild 7 television writer Shunsaku Ikehata will also be honored with medals. 558 men and 120 women will receive Medals of Honour this fall.

The Japanese government then announced on Tuesday that Nobuhiko Obayashi, the director of dozens of films such as the 1983 live-action Toki o Kakeru Shōjo film and the 1984 Shounen Keniya anime film, will receive The Order of the Rising Sun, Gold Rays with Rosette. Prolific manga translator and scholar Frederik L. Schodt received the same award this past spring. In all, 4,024 Japanese nationals and 61 foreigners will receive The Order of the Rising Sun and similar commendations this fall.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com.au/news/...medal-of-honour

Go Hisaishi. He deserves it whole-heartedly! Thanks for the news.

"It's all so familiar yet I know I've never been here before."

08.06.2010, 01:09 AM hakuxcondition is offline   Profile for hakuxcondition Add hakuxcondition to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

quote:
.. that Nobuhiko Obayashi, the director of dozens of films such as the 1983 live-action Toki o Kakeru Shōjo film...
I'm asuming his other movies were really good, because I saw his version of TokiKake, and it was kinda slow-paced. Interesting and original for a 80's film, but just slow-paced.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

08.13.2010, 11:54 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
miyazki_eternal
Kodama

Registration Date: 12.08.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by miyazki_eternal Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

http://www.ghibliworld.com/news.html#1912

The project of the feature length animation Chiisana Arrietty is based on Mary Norton's The Borrowers. Its location has been moved from England 1950s to Japan 2010 though. To be more exact, its specific detail location is around Koganei where things are familiar to us. A family of tiny people live under the floor of the kitchen of an old house; the fourteen year old Arrietty and her parents. They are "borrowers"; to live they borrow everything they need from the humans above them. They can't use magic, nor are they fairies. Instead, they fight against mice, suffer from termites, dodge pesticide spray attacks, escape from cockroach traps and live cautious in order not to be seen. There still remains a classical family image though.

12.13.2010, 12:44 PM miyazki_eternal is offline   Profile for miyazki_eternal Add miyazki_eternal to your buddy list
dballred
Ohmu

Registration Date: 04.24.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by dballred Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
Delayed reply, but...

Wow. That is impressive. They even came up with new lyrics for pieces without lyrics. And Hisaishi is as amazing as usual at the piano, although I'd prefer to see him more involved than just as a conductor.

I think he had another earlier concert where he was much more involved instead of a conductor, but I don't know if there's a DVD for that.

I got the Hisaishi at Budokan DVD during my last trip to Japan. I've watched it four times now from beginning to end. He's got a full orchestra, three choirs, two marching bands, and he plays the piano for a couple of pieces. It's a great DVD.

Joe Hisaishi does a lot of work on other TV and motion picture productions. When he's both the writer and conductor, his style is easy to spot. He did the music in a recent movie about the battleship Yamato (the real one--not the space cruiser) that sounded very Porco-esque and can be heard on television right now on a historical mini-series about the Russo-Japanese war.

12.26.2010, 12:08 PM dballred is offline   Profile for dballred Add dballred to your buddy list Send an Email to dballred Homepage of dballred
Kemi
Totoro

Registration Date: 05.25.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kemi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I haven't seen anything about Hayao's Miyazaki's birthday in here. But anyway, (although it is likely to believe that mister Miyazaki will not read this):

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Hayao Miyazaki!
I hope that he will have a great day with all his beloved ones around him and that we Ghibli fans are able to enjoy many more Ghibli pearls now and in the future.

Post last edited by Kemi on 01.05.2011, 05:30 PM.

01.05.2011, 05:28 PM Kemi is offline   Profile for Kemi Add Kemi to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I didn't know about that at all! Well, in that case, Happy Birthday Hayao Miyazaki!

01.05.2011, 05:43 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Kemi
Totoro

Registration Date: 05.25.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kemi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
I didn't know about that at all! Well, in that case, Happy Birthday Hayao Miyazaki!

Shhh, don't tell anyone... *I also just figure it out when I saw he was trending topic on Twitter*

01.07.2011, 04:56 PM Kemi is offline   Profile for Kemi Add Kemi to your buddy list
Calforsale
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Anyone have any news?

11.30.2011, 06:28 AM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
captain george
Ohmu

Registration Date: 11.09.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by captain george Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

They are recruiting for Takahata's next film i think..... And theres rumours Miyazaki's next one will be anti-nuclear power but there was already alot of rumours on that anyway.....

http://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/news/2...ummer-2013-film

11.30.2011, 11:10 AM captain george is offline   Profile for captain george Add captain george to your buddy list Send an Email to captain george
miniyummy
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 12.13.11
  a girl from JapanPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by miniyummy Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hi, everyone.
I'm a newbie. This is my first post. Please call me Minnie.

The comments that everyone makes in this forum are helpful. It's a great place.

I'm a universuty student in Japan. From my university we can see Mt. Fuji. Its all covered in snow.

I have a new information and question.
In Japan, 『天空の城 ラピュタ ―Castle in the sky―』was broadcasted at last friday.
And next friday, 16, December, 『借りぐらしのアリエッティ―The Arrietty Arietti borrow―』 will broadcasts at 21:00~23:04.
I think I will try to watch it. Is there someone who has already seen it? Is it nice movie?

It's nice to meet you all. And thank you for your help.
Have a fun day.
Minnie

12.13.2011, 09:20 PM miniyummy is offline   Profile for miniyummy Add miniyummy to your buddy list
captain george
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by captain george Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by miniyummy
Hi, everyone.
I'm a newbie. This is my first post. Please call me Minnie.

The comments that everyone makes in this forum are helpful. It's a great place.

I'm a universuty student in Japan. From my university we can see Mt. Fuji. Its all covered in snow.

I have a new information and question.
In Japan, 『天空の城 ラピュタ ―Castle in the sky―』was broadcasted at last friday.
And next friday, 16, December, 『借りぐらしのアリエッティ―The Arrietty Arietti borrow―』 will broadcasts at 21:00~23:04.
I think I will try to watch it. Is there someone who has already seen it? Is it nice movie?

It's nice to meet you all. And thank you for your help.
Have a fun day.
Minnie

Hello Minnie! iv been keeping an eye on the newest member thing in the bottom corner of the homepage and there seem to be alot of people joining and never commenting, so be sure to keep posting! Mount Fuji looks awesome, theres a class picture of a round cloud above it that looks like Laputa somewhere but im too tired/lazy to go look

i have seen Arriety and i thought it was really good. i wouldent go as far as saying it's a Ghibli classic, but for Hiromasa Yonebayashi's first film as a director, it definitly promises to a bright future for Ghibli. i wont say much more, it might highten/lower your expectations which can ruin films, but i hope you enjoy it anyway! And welcome to the tavern

12.13.2011, 09:55 PM captain george is offline   Profile for captain george Add captain george to your buddy list Send an Email to captain george
captain george
Ohmu

Thought this was pretty interesting

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/features/arts/T111227002882.htm

12.29.2011, 11:38 PM captain george is offline   Profile for captain george Add captain george to your buddy list Send an Email to captain george
jina445
Kodama

Registration Date: 02.05.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by jina445 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by captain george
And theres rumours Miyazaki's next one will be anti-nuclear power but there was already alot of rumours on that anyway.....

yes!
my excuses if this has already been posted here before (it surely has)

Anime News Network points to an interview with Studio Ghibli producer Toshio Suzuki who said that Miyazaki’s next film is “”not the sort of work that everyone in the audience can relax and watch.”

He went on to say that this film was in the works before the earthquake and tsunami of March 11,

It’s not because of the [March 11 earthquake and tsunami] disaster, since he already predicted the current state of Japan during the planning stages [of his next work]. So, there was a desire to create something realistic.

I guess we must wait a lot more to get more news on this...

02.06.2012, 04:42 AM jina445 is offline   Profile for jina445 Add jina445 to your buddy list
[  «    ...  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks