QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Ghibli, Miyazaki etc. News
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Ghibli, Miyazaki etc. News » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33    »  ]
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Only Yesterday US release

https://www.facebook.com/onlyyesterdayfilm

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

08.25.2015, 04:12 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Such a shame that so many people will only buy or watch a film that is in the English language. American accents kill the mood of so many Japanese productions.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

08.25.2015, 07:57 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Amen to that, Saddles... That is one of the reasons why I only watch anime in Japanese with subs...

08.25.2015, 01:34 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.02.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The Sub Vs Dub argument is one of my last favorite things about the anime fandom. Personally, I'll watch a dub most of the time, unless the dub is cringeworthy *cough*Higurashi*cough* or there isn't one. Some anime have outstanding dubs, sometimes better than the Japanese, like Black Lagoon or Baccano, or Negima both seasons.

That said, I'm glad Only Yesterday is getting a release in English. Hello, Blu-Ray!

08.25.2015, 10:15 PM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
dballred
Ohmu

Registration Date: 04.24.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by dballred Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Long time, no see, everyone. I prefer the original language with subtitles. I have noticed, though, that I have no problem watching Chinese or Korean films dubbed into Japanese. Dubbing into English just... ...isn't right. My wife's family lives in Northeast Japan and her cousins have the same charming "Touhoku" accent as the people in the film. It would never sound right in English.

09.17.2015, 11:58 AM dballred is offline   Profile for dballred Add dballred to your buddy list Send an Email to dballred Homepage of dballred
saviour2012
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

New Ghibli Film in 2016

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/201...eptember/.96375

......ok, more or less it is a ghibli movie, it is a co-production with another french studio. however it is(?) being produced in ghibli studio probably with ghibli staff

the supposed release date is september 2016

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 01.16.2016, 06:06 AM.

01.16.2016, 06:05 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.02.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Woo, something to look forward to in 2016.

01.16.2016, 09:47 AM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Looking forward to it and hoping it is up to past Ghibli Movies...

01.16.2016, 11:49 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It sounds like Ghibli's involvement will be pretty limited, but I'd still be interested in seeing it. And at least it indicates that they're still going, so maybe we'll see regular Ghibli productions again before long.

01.17.2016, 05:58 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
saviour2012
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
It sounds like Ghibli's involvement will be pretty limited, but I'd still be interested in seeing it. And at least it indicates that they're still going, so maybe we'll see regular Ghibli productions again before long.

the fact is ghibli needs director's with ghibli phylosophy. and that is non existent(well i dont know any). if they throw away their philosophy it is quite easy for them to make beautiful(story quality may be not that good) movies. problem is with suzuki(production) and takahata(ghibli school of animation, that trains animators) still in key departments it is quite hard. but japanese companies are very competitive so if they find a chance they will surely want to use the brand value of ghibli, which is huge in a lot of countries.

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 01.17.2016, 07:00 AM.

01.17.2016, 07:00 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
msteve60
Kodama

Registration Date: 07.30.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by msteve60 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
We get a nomination almost every movie don't we? I wonder why mononoke hime didn't get an Oscar, it was so well known. The orchestra at least deserved Best score.

Huh? That's not true at all. Only five Ghibli films have been nominated:

Spirited Away
Howl's Moving Castle
The Wind Rises
Princess Kaguya
When Marnie Was Thee

02.10.2017, 02:16 AM msteve60 is offline   Profile for msteve60 Add msteve60 to your buddy list
msteve60
Kodama

Registration Date: 07.30.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by msteve60 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by saviour2012
quote:
Correct. I don't know how many have been nominated though... I remember Kaze Tachinu was, but I'm not sure about others.

everything after sa , except ponyo

Nope. Not true at all. Since SA, these are the films that were nominated:

Howl's Moving Castle
The Wind Rises
Princess Kaguya
When Marnie Was There

These films were not nominated:

The Cat Returns
Tales From Earthsea
Arrietty
Ponyo
From Up on Poppy Hill

Less than half of the films since SA were nominated.

02.10.2017, 02:19 AM msteve60 is offline   Profile for msteve60 Add msteve60 to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Interesting bit of news

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-46518746

12.14.2018, 03:31 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Good News!

12.14.2018, 01:13 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Draco
Kodama

Registration Date: 12.15.18
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Draco Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
Such a shame that so many people will only buy or watch a film that is in the English language. American accents kill the mood of so many Japanese productions.

I like both. But given a choice of original language dub or other language dub, I'll take the original language dub every time. I have no problem reading subtitles. In fact, I often watch English language films with the English subtitles active.

12.17.2018, 09:49 AM Draco is offline   Profile for Draco Add Draco to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/17/2091...neighbor-totoro

It's better than nothing, but I'm not really so pleased about the rise of various streaming platforms. When there are so many, it'll become too expensive and complicated for people to use them all, so I honestly think it'll just increase pirating again.

10.18.2019, 08:36 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
saviour2012
Baron

quote:
https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/17/2091...neighbor-totoro

It's better than nothing, but I'm not really so pleased about the rise of various streaming platforms. When there are so many, it'll become too expensive and complicated for people to use them all, so I honestly think it'll just increase pirating again.

totally agree.

10.19.2019, 02:18 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
makc
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.12.16
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by makc Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ghibli finally goes full digital

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so loving what - Stephen Fry.

12.05.2019, 12:09 PM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

I would like to see a DVD of the Ghibli Shorts that are were only available to see in the Ghibli Museum... Most of us are unable to make it to Japan to see them...

Post last edited by husky51 on 12.06.2019, 01:50 PM.

12.05.2019, 06:05 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Oh, that's interesting. I knew about them going on to a streaming service (I even posted about it just before this ) but being able to just buy a digital copy is a bit more appealing.

I also agree with husky! It's always annoyed me that the shorts are not widely available, because then the only way to see them is to go to the museum repeatedly, at exactly the right times. I do wish they would change that.

12.06.2019, 05:58 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
[  «    ...  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks