QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Miyazaki's method?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Ghibli Discussions Miyazaki's method? Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 02.07.05
  Miyazaki's method?Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mitsurugi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hi everyone, i'm trying to develop a story and implement it in a screenplay. Does anyone know how miyazaki makes his stories? I know he writes his own screenplays and does the storyboard. It might be just him, it seems like he has a vat full of ideas. I'm still struggling with one:/

02.12.2005, 08:05 AM Mitsurugi is offline   Profile for Mitsurugi Add Mitsurugi to your buddy list
Jiji
Oldie newbie

Registration Date: 01.15.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Jiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think Miyazaki gains his ideas by paying close attentions to the details of the world. You have probably heard of how Miyazaki derived the inspiration of the design of Yuya of Spirited Away from the local bath houses. Miyazaki also visited Europe to gain ideas for Kiki, and an old forest in Japan during the production of Mononoke. Some sources claim that, during the production of Kiki, Miyazaki always kept a close eyes on the girls in the street to see how their dresses fly in the wind. As a result he got shouted by some people.

Miyazaki never has a complete story in his mind before the production of the movie starts. The writing of the screenplay, the storyboards and the production itself are done at the same time. Therefore sometimes Miyazaki has problems in concluding his stories, especially when he finds that he has used up most of the estimated length of the films just for the developments.

02.12.2005, 08:25 AM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
nanashi
Ohmu

Registration Date: 01.27.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by nanashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

he doesn't allow it to complete a movie alone, it is necessary to explain to
the sponsor and the cooperator.
therefore, the outline of the movie exists when beginning to produce.
there are some image-boards at this time, too.
(its necessary to note it here. there is no guarantee that the outline at this
time is the same as the final product.)

the method of Mr. Miyazaki is as Jiji says.
the storyboards production doesnt start after previously writing the screeplay.
its the same thing to draw the storyboards, and to write the screeplay for him.
there is no work of writing the scenario.
(have you seen his storyboards? any work is wonderful.)

he puts the stopwatch on by the side, and writes the storyboards.
the production of the storyboards and the production of the movie become
the progress simultaneously from the restriction of time.
he draws a lot of image-boards for the explanation to the staff.
there might be the image's extending in him by the inside where he draws it.
characters seem to grow up freely in the storyboards,
and there to be frequently what from the people make the story.

therefore, it will fight against Time at the end as Jiji says on.
its a fight in two meanings of make do with at the match at the screen-time,
and time of opening to the public.

in the storyboards collected to DVD, its useless.
its a mere layout-boards only in that.
wonderful of the storyboards of Mr. Miyazaki cannot be told in that.
its drawn in the right half of the imageboards not included in that,
and because even all stage directions, dialogs, and the instructions to Animator become complete,
i think that its a storyboards.
(to our regret, its drawn in Japanese.)

ah, im sorry long written.

02.12.2005, 10:47 AM nanashi is offline   Profile for nanashi Add nanashi to your buddy list
Mitsurugi
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 02.07.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mitsurugi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I see, i do remember watching ths second disk of spirited away. They mention that chichiro was based off i think the producer's daughter? The mother and father was also based off of miyazaki's friends. I have the same problem, i try to do the begining and middle and i'm lost for words for the endng.

02.12.2005, 11:48 PM Mitsurugi is offline   Profile for Mitsurugi Add Mitsurugi to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Mitsurugi
I see, i do remember watching ths second disk of spirited away. They mention that chichiro was based off i think the producer's daughter? The mother and father was also based off of miyazaki's friends. I have the same problem, i try to do the begining and middle and i'm lost for words for the endng.

Uh, not really. Miyazaki meets 10-yr old daughter of someone, thinks about how 10-yr old girls behave in some way or other, and makes a movie about a 10-yr old for 10-yr old.

Or... smthng like that... or whatever.

Anyway, you can't ask HOW one makes stories, that's entirely up to an individual's imagination. How to DEVELOP one, though, is another question.

Miyazaki observes ppl in real life so his animation would feel more real. If ur making screenplay, this wouldn't work, but you could take the same idea and twist it. Or in simpler terms, do what most actors/actresses do; observe real ppl to see how they act in real life to make reel life more realistic.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

02.13.2005, 10:18 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
HowlsFan
Kodama

Registration Date: 02.12.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by HowlsFan Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think that Miyazaki travels to places to get his ideas and reads peoples' fantasy novels inorder to think of more ...things. Like ex: Howl's Moving Castle; he read the book created by Diana wynne Jones...(though i guess my post wont really tell anyone anything I'm gonna quit now)

02.13.2005, 09:00 PM HowlsFan is offline   Profile for HowlsFan Add HowlsFan to your buddy list Homepage of HowlsFan AIM Screenname: Armads YIM Screenname: Ninisgrace
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks