QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - NARUTO!!!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Anime in General NARUTO!!! Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2  3    »  ]
Dark Totoro
Ohmu

Registration Date: 10.09.08
  NARUTO!!!Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Dark Totoro Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ive been watching Naruto on jetix since christmas becoz we got sky... NARUTO's awesome! I'm gonna buy the dvds!!

Anyone seen naruto?

01.06.2009, 12:04 PM Dark Totoro is offline   Profile for Dark Totoro Add Dark Totoro to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Eh, I saw the first episode a while ago... Didn't really interest me. I guess my only real reason for not liking it is because EVERYONE likes it. And... the Sasuke fangirls scare me lots. O_O'''

My Anime List

01.06.2009, 02:26 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Erf Naruto makes me cringe. I can understand why people like it but I hate the repurcussions its having for animes reputation. These days you mention anime and people reply "Like Naruto?"

Because its such a childish show it makes anime appear even more cartoonish to westerners. Its a poor example of what anime can be if you ask me.

Sorry ^^' just my opinion.

01.06.2009, 02:35 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Sadly, I own the first volume of the Naruto manga. It's not totally awful, but from bits I've seen and heard, it isn't up my street after all. I also don't like the way that people obsess over it.

01.06.2009, 02:38 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
kitsunejr
Warawara

Registration Date: 08.20.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by kitsunejr Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Nausicaa_Cat
These days you mention anime and people reply "Like Naruto?"

That happend today at school, since i told my mate i like anime films expaclly studio ghibli, he said today he watches anime now, i ask what anime he said Naruto... they have like a Naruto fun club at my school

01.06.2009, 04:12 PM kitsunejr is offline   Profile for kitsunejr Add kitsunejr to your buddy list
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

That really is the main sticking point I would argue. Things like Naruto, and Bleach, despite the fact that I am up to date on Bleach are stereotypes that under cut the medium. If people only see animes as Narutos or Bleaches they will miss the Mushishis, the NGEs, Kare Kanos, Ghiblis etc. So it is hard to give shows like Naruto respect because they do alot to stereotype the medium and really turn people against it.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

01.06.2009, 04:27 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
che ken
Tanuki

Registration Date: 12.27.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by che ken Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've seen it, but the anime is a bit of a dissapointment tbh...

I much prefer the manga which I've read to the end so far (still updating ) and I recommend the manga to the anime any day

01.06.2009, 04:28 PM che ken is offline   Profile for che ken Add che ken to your buddy list
Dark Totoro
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Dark Totoro Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think its good.. only because I havn't seen any other anime but... it has got some good points but, I prefer Cowboy bebop so far.

BAAAHH!!! Its reaally bugging me!! I saw a clip of an anime on NHK's imagine-nation show, it's called
"???-???-Decode" can't remember what its really called though! Some girl had this suit on and was running around like catwoman..

01.07.2009, 09:00 AM Dark Totoro is offline   Profile for Dark Totoro Add Dark Totoro to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The majority of anime fans I know are either Narutards or Gundam maniacs. A standard conversation with most new fans I meet goes like this:

Me: Hey, so you're an anime fan?

Them: Yeah! It's really great.

Me: So, what kind of anime do you watch?

Them: Naruto.

Me: And?

Them: And... Bleach.

Me: And?

Them: Um... um... ... ... Gundam Seed?

Me: Oookaaay... anything else?

Them: Um... no.

I just shake my head/facepalm and turn away.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

01.07.2009, 10:24 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Dark Totoro
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Dark Totoro Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

lol.. As soon as I get my bursary thru I'll be able to brush up on my anime, i'm just new to this remember..

p.s. do you mean put your face in the palm of your hand?.. or have you actually got a facepalm? lol..

Post last edited by Dark Totoro on 01.07.2009, 10:32 AM.

01.07.2009, 10:28 AM Dark Totoro is offline   Profile for Dark Totoro Add Dark Totoro to your buddy list
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Dark Totoro
BAAAHH!!! Its reaally bugging me!! I saw a clip of an anime on NHK's imagine-nation show, it's called
"???-???-Decode" can't remember what its really called though! Some girl had this suit on and was running around like catwoman..

Only thing i've heard of that it might be is Birdy the Mighty Decode.

But its pretty old :S And im not even sure if its anime or just manga lol.

You could have a look I guess.

01.07.2009, 11:06 AM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
Dark Totoro
Ohmu

YEAH! thats it NC, it's because on that programme 'imagine-nation', they were interviewing different directors and creators. The creator for Birdy the Mighty Decode was being interviewed and advertised a new movie he's bringing out, looks good, the characters are all in a cafe for the whole movie.. the creator for gundam was being interviewd aswell lol.

Post last edited by Dark Totoro on 01.07.2009, 11:30 AM.

01.07.2009, 11:29 AM Dark Totoro is offline   Profile for Dark Totoro Add Dark Totoro to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Even if you are new to anime... you can't go letting yourself become a stereotype!

01.07.2009, 12:06 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Dark Totoro
Ohmu

Man i'm totally the opposite! I watch it because its anime and its japanese (i think) I watch everything thats japanese, I watched a japanese programme the other day on NHK - all about fashion!!! BAH! I was like staring at it for ages.. I just wanted to hear some nihon-go.

01.07.2009, 12:26 PM Dark Totoro is offline   Profile for Dark Totoro Add Dark Totoro to your buddy list
animekittynya
Ohmu

Registration Date: 08.11.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by animekittynya Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Naruto...... Never seen it, but I have a friend who is totally OBSESSED with Naruto. And it's the only anime that she's seen. (I didnt know that she liked anime, until recently, and the conversation went something like...

Me:so, umm... what kind of things are you into now?
Her:Well, I-
Her little sister interrupts: SHE LOOOVES NARUTO!! SHE HAS ALL THE BOOKS AND HAS POSTERS IN HER ROOM AND SHE KISSES THE PICTURES!!
Her: Wha-?! SHUT UP!!
Little sister: well, it's truueeeee!!
Me: umm, I'm just gonna go now.... (I'm thinking that Naruto is all she's into...)

Something like that.)

I then asked her if she liked anything other than Naruto and she was like:
.....ummm......no?
Me: sigh... thought so.

And that's the way that it goes with most of the anime people that I meet in my area. Like the anime club I was in middle school? Full of people obsessed with Naruto, and they talked about it so much that I formed a rather bad opinion of it from the start. (endless battles that go on for episodes and episodes and books and books? Noo thank you!)
So they were either obsessed with naruto or Furuba (Fruits Basket) or... umm... I don't remember what else. Oh, and the culb was mostly girls. Fangirls, actually, and only a few guys (like, what.. 5? 6?) That was in 8th grade when I was still relatively new to anime and manga. (the only thing i had read was some of my friends 'mermaid melody pichi pichi pitch' books -my first manga- and fruits basket, becasue everybody else was reading it and it sounded interesting)

But even though the club was full or Naruto freaks and Furuba fangirls (KYOO!!! I LOVE KYO!! was the scream heard by me produced by countless kyo fangirls. so... my introduction to fangirls was very scary... they'd hit you if you said anything against their precious kyo-kun...whyyy??) so despite all that, I actually got introduced to some new good manga and anime like Yousuba&! and ghibli movies (HOWL'S!!) and Azumanga Daioh!.

Ahem.... And I end my rant. Sorry for the longness of it.

Post last edited by animekittynya on 01.12.2009, 07:24 PM.

01.07.2009, 12:52 PM animekittynya is offline   Profile for animekittynya Add animekittynya to your buddy list Homepage of animekittynya
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ah, Fruits Basket was my first anime. ^_^ I was a bit fangirl-y over it for a while but that's faded now... I'm fangirl-y over other animes now. XD

But yeah, I hated the diehard-fangirls. -__-

My Anime List

01.07.2009, 07:55 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
NARUTO!!!

Let's just say every time I see something remotely similar to that, I shudder. I understand appreciating something but honestly...some of these fans make me feel downright antagonistic.

Not that Naruto didn't have potential...it just sort of died in the face of all that popularity, as animes like it often do.

That and Naruto himself is annoying. Really annoying. As is Sasuke. And the vast majority of the remainder of the cast.

But you know, to each his/her own. ^_^

01.07.2009, 08:13 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by Dark Totoro
Man i'm totally the opposite! I watch it because its anime and its japanese (i think) I watch everything thats japanese, I watched a japanese programme the other day on NHK - all about fashion!!! BAH! I was like staring at it for ages.. I just wanted to hear some nihon-go.

Google 'Wapanese' dude. Seriously.

Post last edited by Nausicaa_Cat on 01.08.2009, 12:14 PM.

01.08.2009, 12:14 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
Dark Totoro
Ohmu

Wapanese, taken from the first google find...

quote:
“Wapanese” are decidedly caucasian individuals who, by means of thoroughly warped postmodern acculturation processes, have come to the decision that it is in their best interest to act as if they were denizens of the nation of Japan. The term “wapanese” can be accurately though of as an analog to wigger. A whitey can be classified as a “Wapanese” if they are in possession of two or more of the following defining traits:

1. Has an unhealthy obsession with shallow, saccharine and intellectually insulting animation shows (also refered to as anime by the nerd elite) originally tailored for young Japanese children - TRUE

2. Operates under the erroneous belief that every aspect of American culture is vastly inferior to that of Japan’s – even though 99.9% of Wapanese have never had firsthand experience of any sort with their preferred culture (in other words, they’ve never set so much as one foot upon the island(s) of Japan) - I don't think that, but ive not been to Japan.

3. Halfheartedly studies Japanese language and/or is a part-time practitioner of martial arts - TRUE

4. Has a sword (samurai swords only, of course) collection - Wouldn't mind having one

5. Is a Virgin - LOL!!! Ive had my fair share of girls, nothing to boast about though coz I can't commit.
6. May be afflicted with a terminal case of yellow fever; however, they constantly fail in their quest for Japanese pootytang - FALSE!!!!

7. Extreme cases may traipse around whilst wearing a “costume” that makes them resemble their favorite anime characters (this practice is reffered to as cosplay; cross-dressing and raging homosexuality is not an uncommon component of cosplay. - Yuck!

Interestingly, Wapanese are generally though of as “failures” and rejects within their own culture. Social scientists such as myself speculate that it was their failure to gain acceptance within their own culture than has lead many a white geek to seek out Japan’s culture as a surrogate; however, they’d be shattered to know that the insular and somewhat racist Japanese society would be even less accepting of them than the people of their true and native culture. - Lol, False, who made this!

Ummm... I'm I turning wapanese?

I like Japan and it's history, language, culture etc. but I'm not a nerd!

And do you think its lucky that i'm the only one in a 50 mile radius that likes Japan coz i dont think so!! I'm "japan-lonely", my friends don't like it.. Thats why I speak to you guys about stuff!!

Post last edited by Dark Totoro on 01.08.2009, 01:09 PM.

01.08.2009, 01:06 PM Dark Totoro is offline   Profile for Dark Totoro Add Dark Totoro to your buddy list
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

As ridiculous as that definition is, I will agree that the point of Japan being a surrogate culture for people feeling out of touch with their own is an interesting prospect.

People who are exposed to a lot of anime will have delusions that they understand the society and thus become infatuated by it and want to join in.

I would say that quite a few of us would want to travel there, and part of the reason is because we took up ghiblis and some of us other animes and we would want to see the culture that depicts these. I would love to go, but I want to see the whole world. I think their culture of being very structured would be cool to observe, far from throwing away Canadian culture lol. Though an argument can be made that Canada doesnt have a culture, but that is another deal-io all together.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

01.08.2009, 01:14 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
[  1  2  3    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks