QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Elfen Leid
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » Elfen Leid » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  4    »  ]
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

My son and I just finished watching the series and, speaking for myself, gore and nudity aside I liked it. I don't usually go in for this much gore, etc, but I really enjoyed the series. Each episode ending was riveting and MADE you want to go on to the next. I had to call it quits the first night of watching because I had to go to work the next day, otherwise....

The ending was anguish and both my son and I yelled out, "ARRRGH!!!!!" , when the credits started.... sigh.

Post last edited by husky51 on 04.16.2009, 10:45 AM.

04.16.2009, 10:44 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I just can't decide whether to watch this or not! It does sound very good, but I wonder if the gore and nudity might be just too much to see past.

04.16.2009, 11:13 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

@arren, if you want to get past it you can, if not then you wont get the same effect out of the series because the gore and nudity would outweigh all of its great aspects.

@husky, this was one of the series which i didnt intend to but ended up marathoning on the first go around. Great series.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

04.16.2009, 12:47 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

@Miyrru...
Yeah, we were up to episode 8 and I had told my son that when it was over, I was going to bed... As it got closer to the end, I kept reminding my son, I'm going to bed, and in the end it was a real struggle to break away and actually do it!!!!

yeah, it held the interest, for sure...

As soon as I got home from work the next day, in it went and we finished it...

04.16.2009, 05:18 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
chriss
Kodama

Registration Date: 08.08.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by chriss Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

well i lost my other accounts password for chrisss so im chriss now so I finished Elfein leid i loved it

08.08.2009, 04:06 PM chriss is offline   Profile for chriss Add chriss to your buddy list Homepage of chriss
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by chriss
well i lost my other accounts password for chrisss so im chriss now so I finished Elfein leid i loved it

I can send it to your email, if you want.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

08.08.2009, 11:29 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
chriss
Kodama

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by chriss Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

oh cool that would be awesome

08.11.2009, 05:12 AM chriss is offline   Profile for chriss Add chriss to your buddy list Homepage of chriss
chriss
Kodama

ill pm my email

Post last edited by chriss on 08.11.2009, 07:12 PM.

08.11.2009, 05:12 AM chriss is offline   Profile for chriss Add chriss to your buddy list Homepage of chriss
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Chriss, you should delete your email from the forum, spambots will read it and you'll start getting junk mail. Just PM it to Roarkiller.

NEVER, EVER write out your e-mail address on a forum. Trust me on this.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

08.11.2009, 01:18 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
chriss
Kodama

okay thanks for the heads up

08.11.2009, 07:12 PM chriss is offline   Profile for chriss Add chriss to your buddy list Homepage of chriss
Chrisss
Calcifer

Registration Date: 02.11.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Chrisss Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

yay all beter

08.11.2009, 07:29 PM Chrisss is offline   Profile for Chrisss Add Chrisss to your buddy list Homepage of Chrisss
jenniferlynn.ox
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 03.05.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by jenniferlynn.ox Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I LOVELOVELOVE this anime. I'm so happy a friend of mine recommended it to me. I even managed to get my boyfriend to watch the dubbed version with me, which was a big step for him. He even liked it!
The only thing that bugged me was the ending, but I plan to read the manga to remedy that.

i've never felt so at home in my life.
jenniferlynn.ox

03.05.2010, 04:50 PM jenniferlynn.ox is offline   Profile for jenniferlynn.ox Add jenniferlynn.ox to your buddy list
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Theowne
It is not a bad series, the storyline certainly had potential and there were great moments littered throughout, particularly the flashbacks around the middle of the series.

Unfortunately I belong to the camp who feels that the violence and nudity reached the point where it felt gratuitous rather than required.

If you can handle that, then it is a fairly good series.

Hmm, that was myself an year ago.

I rewatched this again a few months ago and my opinion went down a little more. Actually I think a lot of the non-gore/nudity stuff is also quite cliche, particularly the romance subplot between Kohta and his cousin. I also found the entire characterization and behavior of Kohta/cousin quite unrealistic.

03.05.2010, 06:05 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The series doesn't rate highly with me. I watched it through once and a few months later started watching it again but gave up out of irritation. I think the makers were going for maximum cash-making potential with so many boobs and so much blood simply trying to appeal to the male teen market and some shock value.

Agree with you Theowne on the weird relationship between the cousins. Why is it so much anime focuses on teenagers living without parental presence? It's almost endemic. There must be something deep in the Japanese psyche that makes it appealing since it's such a common theme.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

03.06.2010, 08:24 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
There must be something deep in the Japanese psyche that makes it appealing since it's such a common theme.

Or something deep in every teenager's psyche. I don't think it's at all specific to Japan. I'd say the only difference is that Japan, in general, produces a lot more escapist fantasy for the teen market than any country in the west, probably because they were quicker to understand teenagers.

Post last edited by Orphic Okapi on 03.06.2010, 01:10 PM.

03.06.2010, 01:10 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Theowne
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
Agree with you Theowne on the weird relationship between the cousins. Why is it so much anime focuses on teenagers living without parental presence? It's almost endemic. There must be something deep in the Japanese psyche that makes it appealing since it's such a common theme.

Beyond that, it's almost amusing how the creators tried to stuff this cliched anime harem romance subplot into a violent, strange anime about mutants. An anonymous, mute girl washes up naked on the beach with no identification and....the main characters' first thought is to take her in, make no effort to discover her identity, and then become upset when the possibility of her being found comes up - because they can't have their wacky hijinks at home anymore. Oh, and Kohta's cousin becomes jealous that her cousin might be in love with this mute girl.

I think this is the "give me a break" point in the series.

On the other hand, the flashback to the abuse of Lucy's childhood was the strong point. However, this message has been delivered elsewhere in a much better fashion.

03.06.2010, 01:58 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I really do have to rewatch this and be a little more critical, but as it stands, i really did enjoy the series. It has its share of plot holes, but so do most series. I still think that of what I remember of the series is that outside of some of the minor stuff at the beginning, that it was pretty strong throughout, ill watch it again when i have some time one of these days.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

03.07.2010, 04:50 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think I watched the first episode of this and couldn't take any more. That was a long time ago so I went and rewatched it and yeah...same thing. I still don't get why people liked this so much. I dunno, it's like they were trying to make a statement with the gore and nudity but failed. Probably made it so whatever point was being made harder to see.

But then I haven't actually seen the whole thing so I may be being unfair.

03.13.2010, 09:01 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Theowne
Baron

There are about a couple of good, moving scenes in the latter half.

Is it worth going through the whole thing to get there? No way.

03.13.2010, 10:37 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I do remember the internet was alive with fans raving about this when it was released. In it's day it was the hot topic of discussion, almost as popular as say, Haruhi Suzumiya... So I guess nudity and gore sells anime (not a surprise really), and in that respect it was successful.

03.14.2010, 10:09 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
[  «    1  2  3  4    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks