QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - I was just wondering!!!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Ghibli Discussions I was just wondering!!! Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 03.15.05
I was just wondering!!!Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Lotus Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I am a huge huge huge fan of Ghibli's work I would love to view all of his films and I was wondering if he was going to start releasing all of his WONDERFUL films in english. If i could understand the original language it would be fine but being that i only understand english I was just wondering. I have everyone he has put out so far in english I am up at the store the store at mid night waiting for the to stock the selves with his movies for the first time. So I am the first on to buy the movies. I love his work it is so great.

Thank You so much...
Lotus

03.15.2005, 05:24 PM Lotus is offline   Profile for Lotus Add Lotus to your buddy list
Jiji
Oldie newbie

Registration Date: 01.15.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Jiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Lotus
I am a huge huge huge fan of Ghibli's work I would love to view all of his films and I was wondering if he was going to start releasing all of his WONDERFUL films in english. If i could understand the original language it would be fine but being that i only understand english I was just wondering. I have everyone he has put out so far in english I am up at the store the store at mid night waiting for the to stock the selves with his movies for the first time. So I am the first on to buy the movies. I love his work it is so great.

Hi! Lotus! Welcome to the forums!

I am also a great Ghibli/Miyazaki fan and I am now saving money to buy all their DVDs (hehe almost all of them are very accessible here ).

As far as I know Tokuma (the mother company of Ghibli) granted Disney the right of all the major Ghibli films, except a few, like _Ocean Waves_, _Grave_ and _Ghiblies_. The right of _Grave_ has been granted to Central Media so there is nothing for you to worry about. But for _Ocean Waves_ and _Ghiblies_, they are basically ignored for whatever reason, so you have no choice but to consider getting the R2 discs or not. And yea I am sure the chance of releasing _On Your Mark_ in the Western world is close to zero, because even in Japan there is no proper DVD release of the short film.

By the way the Japanese R2 discs do have English subtitles, but a few of them are dubtitles.

03.15.2005, 09:28 PM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
the_baron's_girl
Kodama

Registration Date: 03.27.05
I am CrazedPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by the_baron's_girl Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

You must see The Cat Returns and if you have.. . .You are Awesome!!

Someday I will find my Baron. . .

03.27.2005, 04:50 PM the_baron's_girl is offline   Profile for the_baron's_girl Add the_baron's_girl to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I am a great ghibli fan, but not necessarily a Miyazaki fan.

All japanese ghibli DVDs now have subtitles, if you don't mind them. Otherwise, the ones that have been dubbed in english are:

-Nausicaa
-Castle in the Sky
-Grave of the Fireflies
-Porco Rosso
-Princess Mononoke
-Spirited Away
-The Cat Returns

Could be others, but these are the ones I can remember from the top of my head.

Also, apart from Grave of the Fireflies, all others are done by Disney. GOTF is done by Central Park.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

Post last edited by Roarkiller on 04.01.2005, 10:07 AM.

04.01.2005, 10:07 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Dave_Maz
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 04.06.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Dave_Maz Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Howl's Moving Castle is coming in June. Pom Poko should be following it shortly.

Dave

04.12.2005, 03:14 PM Dave_Maz is offline   Profile for Dave_Maz Add Dave_Maz to your buddy list Homepage of Dave_Maz AIM Screenname: TheDavesterDM
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks