QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Any suggestions for a good anime?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Anime in General Any suggestions for a good anime? Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 02.21.09
  Any suggestions for a good anime?Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roxas_Someone Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ok so at the moment im looking for another good anime to watch...

-My favorites
Full Metal Alchemist
Naruto
Karin
Ouran High School Host Club
Bleach
MAR
Death Note
Ruroni Kenshin
Code Geass
Fooly Cooly
Lucky Star
D. Gray Man
Darker Than Black

-ones im watching
Fruits Basket
Black cat

-Favorite studio ghibli movie?
Princess Mononoke!
but howls moving castle comes in close

03.05.2009, 09:35 PM Roxas_Someone is offline   Profile for Roxas_Someone Add Roxas_Someone to your buddy list Homepage of Roxas_Someone
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Kuroshitsuji is very good, I'm watching it just now. It's hard to pin a genre on it, I guess kinda... supernatural drama with moments of comedy?

My Anime List

03.06.2009, 03:54 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I can see that you are kinda still in the main of the mainstream. Take a little peak outside that and you can watch anything from Higurashi (horror) to Baccano! (action/adventure/fantasy/great hats) to Fate/Stay Night (action/fantasy) to Mushishi (its a genre by itself) to anything. Really you can go any which way, the ones I listed are kinda taken off my list at random but they are all very good series.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

03.06.2009, 09:10 AM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Roxas_Someone
Susuwatari

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roxas_Someone Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

yeah, im a Shōnen fan :l i guess a lot of Shōnens are mainstream...I do need to see less mainstream animes... *sigh*

03.09.2009, 08:10 PM Roxas_Someone is offline   Profile for Roxas_Someone Add Roxas_Someone to your buddy list Homepage of Roxas_Someone
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well Ill give you two more because I was watching one and thought of the other, and they are both animated by the same studio: To Aru no Majutsu Index (on going) and Shakugan no Shana I and II. Great heroine fantasy action series.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

03.11.2009, 04:20 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Roxas_Someone
Susuwatari

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roxas_Someone Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thanks! i very much appretiate it!

03.14.2009, 08:35 PM Roxas_Someone is offline   Profile for Roxas_Someone Add Roxas_Someone to your buddy list Homepage of Roxas_Someone
tealight
Kodama

Registration Date: 05.25.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by tealight Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hmm...

My favorites:
Natsume Youjinchou (very good, highly recommend!)
Fruits Basket
Kare Kano (one of my all time favorite)
Ouran High School
Chobits
Skip Beat
Saikano
Trigun

05.26.2009, 12:47 AM tealight is offline   Profile for tealight Add tealight to your buddy list
oldwrench
Warawara

Registration Date: 02.23.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by oldwrench Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

You might like to try Trigun, comedy and drama with a bit of Old Western flair. Vash is the 60 billion double dollar outlaw. But is he really that bad? Insurance girls Merle and Millie are about to find out.

Full Metal Panic: Drama and comedy, big mechs, schoolgirls, The second season, Fumoffu, is just all comedy, the third season TSR, is mostly drama.

Mai Hime: pretty good action series, schoolgirls have to save the world.

Kaleido Star: Circus fun, a bit like Ciq de Sole, A very uplifting character and a fun story. High drama with high flying action.

Starship Operators: A good space drama. Cadets, aboard a new space battle ship, are the last of their military fighting their attackers.

Utawereumono: A mysterious masked man leads the people in their battle against oppressors, in a fantasy world. I still like the girls tails.

Vandred: Hibiki might be a little guy, but he has big dreams, unfortunately, they get him trapped on a ship full of the most terrifying of enemies.......... women! Talk about the battle of the sexes, this takes it to it's limits. Extremely good fun.

Last Exile: Another very good scifi anime, with great artwork by Range Murata.

05.26.2009, 11:34 AM oldwrench is offline   Profile for oldwrench Add oldwrench to your buddy list YIM Screenname: oldwrench2000
tealight
Kodama

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by tealight Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

^Oh yeah, I agree about Kaleido Star. The animation is amazing and the circus acts were very cool. I wouldn't recommend watching the 2nd season, though. The main character gets super whiny and vulnerable it becomes annoying.

05.26.2009, 03:09 PM tealight is offline   Profile for tealight Add tealight to your buddy list
twirble
Kodama

Registration Date: 05.15.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by twirble Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm going to second both "Natsume Yuuginchou" and "Last Exile". They are the kind of series Ghibli fans would probably appreciate. You can sample them both for free on crunchyroll now- I would check them out while they still have them.

Also-If you haven't seen "Mushi Shi" or "Ghost Hunt" : they both have episodes up on Hulu. I highly recommend them. Ghost Hunt reminds me of something "Buffy" fans would enjoy and "Mushi Shi" is just an amazing series I think "Spirited Away" fans would like

05.28.2009, 06:11 AM twirble is offline   Profile for twirble Add twirble to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Oh, I recommend Mononoke to anyone who likes Spirited Away, MushiShi, and Natsume~. ^^ It's horror, supernatural.. hm..

The series is pretty unique, including how the characters talk and the animation. It has the most beautiful animation I've seen. It's about a mysterious medicine seller who travels, ridding places of mononoke using his sword. The stories aren't even overly scary, it's how they're told. I freaked out. O_O; There's a lot of hints to later scenes in the arcs of the series, but I found them unnoticeable.

I also found out my Grell loving friend was obsessed with this series. XD She's watched it twice. Including the original Ayakashi series..

05.28.2009, 08:08 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
oldwrench
Warawara

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by oldwrench Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I hope Mononoke is released in the US, I'd like to see it. The series is based on the character of the medicine seller from the oav Samurai Horror Tales, the Goblin Cat. That is the best of the Samurai Horror Tales series.

I should mentions some good oav's. We all know of the Ghibli works, there aren't any bad ones there.

Three by the same people, all based on love over time and distance, all excellent art and interesting stories.

Voices of a Distant Star: scifi, very short, love over interstellar distances and times, a real heart breaker.

The Place Promised in Our Early Days: full length oav, a very good scifi story of friendship and love and a promise that binds them over the years.

5cm Per Second: This is a rather tragic story of young love, desire, loss and hope. not scifi, Follow Tokaki through his life as cruel winters, cold technology, silence, and finally, adult obligations and responsibilities converge to crush the delicate flower of true love.

others: Appleseed, and Appleseed Ex Machina From Masumune Shiro, the creator of Ghost in the shell. Good scifi action. Ghost in the Shell is good , but I didn't like the second oav, the series is great stuff too. Another old one by Shiro, that's a classic is Dominion, Tank Police and New Dominion, Tank Police........ love the cat sisters.

KakuRenBo: Hide and seek with demons, horror, it's only 25 minutes, but very good. Some of the best cg I've seen.

Memories: three short stories Magnetic Rose, Stink Bomb, Cannon Fodder, the best is Magnetic Rose, an unforgettable scifi, horror.

more later

Post last edited by oldwrench on 05.28.2009, 09:21 PM.

05.28.2009, 09:19 PM oldwrench is offline   Profile for oldwrench Add oldwrench to your buddy list YIM Screenname: oldwrench2000
tealight
Kodama

5cm per seconds was really good! The animation was amazing. I didn't quite like the ending though.

05.29.2009, 06:50 AM tealight is offline   Profile for tealight Add tealight to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

@Wrench

Have you watched Mononoke yet? :3 Rats, I was hoping it was released in English, that makes me sad. DX Because it's even better than the Ayakashi Bake Neko arc.

^ He looks significantly younger in that. I just watched the first episode. Still the same nice feeling. <3 Although I loved the opening for Mononoke more, this one's catchy. XD

Another good series would be 07-Ghost. Seems to appeal to both genders equally. I have much gotten through it, but the manga is quite nice. The story line is kind of confusing.. but it's like fantasy.. but, awesome. Apparently for some it reminds them of D.Gray-man. But I don't see much resemblence. Yet, I can see if you are a fan of one of those two series, you'll likely get into the second. XD

tactics is another good anime, which I really love. The animation is lovely, especially on DVD and the opening sequences. It's about Kotarou, who writes articles ( ? or novels, manuscripts.. I haven't watched it in awhile XD) and rids places of youkai. One youkai he meets is the legendary tengu, whom he releases from a rock. (I'm sorry, I'm tired lol) He names the tengu Haruka, and both sort of.. yeah..

I don't pay too much attention to them, except during their short lived "You know you can't say that isn't gay" scenes. XD Because Sugino and Muu-chan are the most adoring/strangest couple I've seen. They are the light of the series~. <3

Or I'm just screwed up in the head for liking Sugino. XD

05.29.2009, 09:34 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
oldwrench
Warawara

No, I haven't seen Mononoke, it hasn't been released in the US yet. I don't download fansubs, don't like stealing someones work, so if it isn't released here, I don't see it.

06.01.2009, 02:52 PM oldwrench is offline   Profile for oldwrench Add oldwrench to your buddy list YIM Screenname: oldwrench2000
twirble
Kodama

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by twirble Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I forgot to mention Nabari No Ou because I had just posted on a thread about it .I don't know if you can buy the dubbed version yet but there are DVD's you can buy on Amazon.

The only new anime's I have gotten into are Guin Saga and Eden of the East.

Goodness there were some scenes in Tactics that sent my head swimming....the gayness was utterly intended to' the mangaka even made their own yaoi doujins.

Post last edited by twirble on 06.09.2009, 06:08 AM.

06.09.2009, 06:02 AM twirble is offline   Profile for twirble Add twirble to your buddy list
twirble
Kodama

How did I double post?

Post last edited by twirble on 06.09.2009, 06:05 AM.

06.09.2009, 06:04 AM twirble is offline   Profile for twirble Add twirble to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Cowboy Bebop (movie and 1 TV series)
Paranoia Agent
Evangelion (how come this isn't on your list?!)
Ghost in the Shell (3 movies and 2 TV series)
Serial Experiments Lain
Gunslinger Girl
Paprika (movie)

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 06.09.2009, 08:52 AM.

06.09.2009, 08:51 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Riotmon
Kodama

Registration Date: 11.05.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Riotmon Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm going back a while here, but Escaflowne was a bit of a gem for me, i love the series when it aired on t.v
Its quite a good "classic" anime. Similar in some respects to Evangelion.

11.08.2009, 05:27 PM Riotmon is offline   Profile for Riotmon Add Riotmon to your buddy list Send an Email to Riotmon
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks