QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Lupin III, Ghiblies episode 2, Marco and others
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Ghibli Discussions Lupin III, Ghiblies episode 2, Marco and others Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Kodama

Registration Date: 03.20.05
  Lupin III, Ghiblies episode 2, Marco and othersPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Fail Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I wonder if anyone has seen these tree movies, "Panda! Go Panda!" and "Like the Clouds, Like the Wind"?
Are they actually worth seeing?

Post last edited by Fail on 03.28.2005, 10:20 AM.

03.28.2005, 10:18 AM Fail is offline   Profile for Fail Add Fail to your buddy list
Jiji
Oldie newbie

Registration Date: 01.15.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Jiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Fail
I wonder if anyone has seen these tree movies, "Panda! Go Panda!" and "Like the Clouds, Like the Wind"?
Are they actually worth seeing?

I have seen Ghiblies (1 and 2), Panda and Marco.

Ghiblies 1 is okay, with some light humour and other miscellaneous stuff. Ghiblies 2 is much better, with some of the best jokes of all the Ghibli movies that you can never forget, and also with some nostalgic parts that bear some resemblance with the Takahata work of Only Yesterday.

Panda is a really funny children movie directed by Takahata. Although it is aimed at the pre-school kids, I did enjoy it a lot when I first watched it less than a month ago (I am 18 by the way ). The story is simple yet entertaining. There is not only plenty of humour, but also some thrilling parts. Although the animation and the drawings are as simple as the story, you can see some features of the later Ghibli movies exist in Panda. Some even regard Panda as the prototype of Totoro, for its atmosphere of childhood innocence, and the existence of a giant but friendly monster. Occasionally there are some illogical stuff (the little girl adopts both the papa panda and the little panda as her father and son respectively ^^;; ) . But the movie as a whole is absolutely adorable and will certainly put a smile on your face.

For Marco, well, I saw it before I was absorbed into the Ghibli works. So the seller was able to trick me and made me to believe that it was an early work of Miyazaki. The atmosphere and the character designs bear some resemblance with the Ghibli ones. But the story, I have to say, is quite boring indeed.

I do look forward to see the Miyazaki-directed Lupin movie. It has been receiving a lot of postive comments and some Miyazaki fans even consider it as the best of the master's works.

03.28.2005, 12:56 PM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
nanashi
Ohmu

Registration Date: 01.27.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by nanashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

"Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro" is recommended!!! it is must film.
it occupies an important position in his filmography.
of course, it is wonderful movie.
and, "Lupin III TV series" (first 23 episodes, and new series #145,#155) is wonderful too.
first series
-Oosumi, Ootsuka, 1-6,9,12
-Miyazaki, Takahata, Ootsuka, 7,8,10,11,13-23
new Series
-#145, Shi no Tsubasa Albatross(Albatross: Wings of Death)
-#155, Saraba Itoshiki Lupin yo(Farewell, Beloved Lupin)

i have not seen the "Marco" movie.
however, i have seen "Marco TV series". ive sobbed.
neither Takahata nor Miyazaki participate in the production of "Marco" movie.

"Panda!"
if you like Miyazaki's heartwarming works(about Totoro), you enjoy it.
there is an essence of the Miyazaki's works before Nausicaa.
however, i think, i should call it, "Work of Miyazaki & Otsuka" rather than "Work of Miyazaki" or "Work of Takahata".
that impression looks like "Doubutsu Takarajima (Animal Treasure Island)"
"Lupin III TV series" and "Sherlock Hound".

03.28.2005, 01:36 PM nanashi is offline   Profile for nanashi Add nanashi to your buddy list
Fail
Kodama

Registration Date: 03.20.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Fail Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thanx for your comments, I’d really try to find “Go Panda” here in my country, though I suggest it will be much complicated (anyway, those movies like Totoro are the best, and I do enjoy seeing them over and over again, even if they really are innocent and naïve for some extend)
And “Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro” would be easier to find. As I suppose it’s a movie that can be placed in one row with Laputa, Mononokie and Nausicaa (I mean it’s a fantasy story, isn't it?)

03.29.2005, 04:15 AM Fail is offline   Profile for Fail Add Fail to your buddy list
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks