QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - The Last Airbender
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » The Last Airbender » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Umfrage: How good do you think it will be?
It will be good.
It will suck.
Results
Author
Post [  1  2    »  ]
Tea Master Tall
Totoro

Registration Date: 04.01.07
  The Last AirbenderPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Tea Master Tall Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

So, they finally have a trailer for the movie:

Trailer

Anyone know what the heck is going on with Aang's arrow!?

Seriously.

Anyway, I don't think the movie is going to be as much as I wanted it too. But, oh well. All live action movies from TV suck.

Check out my music:

02.28.2010, 02:26 PM Tea Master Tall is offline   Profile for Tea Master Tall Add Tea Master Tall to your buddy list Send an Email to Tea Master Tall
Artoo
Warawara

Registration Date: 07.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Artoo Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think the trailers are awesome and it looks like it could be very good. But then I like most of M. Night Shyamalan's films (though I only love The Sixth Sense).

I think he's shown he can be good at slow tension, but what will be interesting is him doing full-on action scenes. That is one of the two things that I think the film's (artistic) success will hinge on I think.

The second crucial thing, IMHO, is how they handle the balance of humour and seriousness - it could end up really spoiling it if they don't get that right.

Anyone who goes in wanting it to be exactly the same as the animated series shouldn't bother, because it is certain to change some things, and people get all precious about that stuff.

I'm going to judge it on its own merits, and if it translates any moments or characters or themes from the series directly and well then that's a bonus. Really though, I'm just looking forward to seeing a live-action quality CGI Appa even if the rest of the film is a total car-wreck... the animated series isn't going anywhere.

02.28.2010, 08:22 PM Artoo is offline   Profile for Artoo Add Artoo to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Um, the trailaer has been out for quite some time, hasn't it?

Personally I'll just adopt a "wait and see" attitude. And anyway, I don't think Appa will be a problem; they made one helluva good dragon in Neverending Story, and they can do it here just as well.

Me, I'm just glad they made a real tattoo design in the shape of an arrow instead of blue graffiti

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

03.01.2010, 11:31 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Tea Master Tall
Totoro

Registration Date: 04.01.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Tea Master Tall Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It's not the awesome tattoo design I'm worried about. It's just that the arrow doesn't stick out as much as it does in the show. I wish it would be colored in more if you know what I mean.
I don't think Zuko will have his pony-tail in it though. Damn.
He cuts it off in book 2 I think.

Check out my music:

03.01.2010, 10:49 PM Tea Master Tall is offline   Profile for Tea Master Tall Add Tea Master Tall to your buddy list Send an Email to Tea Master Tall
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I kinda like the patterning in the trailer rather than in the anime....

03.02.2010, 12:30 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Haha, I liked the trailer, actually. I'll probs go see it and hopefully it'll be fun. Not expecting cinematic genius but fun? Yeah, it's got potential for that.

03.02.2010, 01:13 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm more about about the timeline, actually. Supposedly they're ging to make a trilogy, based on the three books, but if production is going to take six years, then 10-yr old Noah Ringer is going to look awfully old by the time they're finished. Like Daniel Radcliffe, if anyone still remembers him.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

03.02.2010, 11:48 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

High school students are played by 25-year-olds pretty routinely. Also Aang is supposed to be 12 in the series.

12, 16 . . . It's not much of a stretch.

03.02.2010, 03:02 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
aluka
Kodama

Registration Date: 07.29.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by aluka Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Wow this movie looks...... awful.

I will go see it though in case of a miracle.

07.30.2010, 08:47 PM aluka is offline   Profile for aluka Add aluka to your buddy list
hakuxcondition
Kodama

Registration Date: 08.04.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by hakuxcondition Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well I saw the film...big disappointment. I'm extremely picky on character choice, so I was pissed when I found Zuko didn't even look like Zuko on the show. (Although I personally have nothing against the actor). Sokka (my awesome, hilarious Sokka) is not even humorous in the slightest as the REAL SOKKA would and should be. Besides, the film could have had a lot more computer graphics It would have made it more awe-inspiring like the cartoon. Which, in other words, should be a no-brainer! If it isn't as inspiring as the cartoon, then there is a problem. -le sigh; Just an overall big disappointment for me. I advise all of you to watch it when it comes out on DVD.

"It's all so familiar yet I know I've never been here before."

08.06.2010, 01:33 AM hakuxcondition is offline   Profile for hakuxcondition Add hakuxcondition to your buddy list
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I doubt I'm even going to watch it on DVD. Everyone seems incredibly disappointed, and the reviews are all pretty nasty. Shyamalan should be ashamed.

On a brighter note, the creators of the show are planning a new miniseries set in the Avatar universe.

08.07.2010, 01:24 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

I plan to watch it.

The thing about adaptations is... people forget that it's an ADAPTATION. What's the point of making as adaptation if everything is exactly the same? I mean, no one complained about ghibli's adaptations (other than the writer of Kiki, but that's besides the point).

So if the reviews are about the quality of the film AS a film, then fine. But any comparison with the series and I'll do a "tl;dr" for that review.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

08.13.2010, 11:59 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Actually, most reviews I've seen haven't been to do with faithfulness to the series; those complaints have been from fans. The reviews say it's bad as a film.

08.14.2010, 08:35 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Orphic Okapi
Baron

I think most people agree it fails miserably both as an adaptation and as a film in its own right.

08.14.2010, 09:39 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
FunkyDan
Kodama

Registration Date: 06.26.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FunkyDan Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I waited since like the date of production for the movie because I loved the series so much, I gathered all my friends and we went to see it, I knew it wouldn't be the same as the show, since things had to be changed, but it was to different. I will say that I loved seeing real life people bend and stuff, and the graphics were excellent, but the acting was horrid and I hope he fixes a lot of things he messed up in this movie, for the next movie.

My favorite film from Studio Ghibli would have to be Howl's Moving Castle, from the story, to the soundtrack, this movie has exceeded all others. But I will always be a fan of every movie by Studio Ghibli, I'm not the biggest fan of Whisper of the Heart, I guess because I like the action and the magic in the others.

08.20.2010, 12:11 PM FunkyDan is offline   Profile for FunkyDan Add FunkyDan to your buddy list Homepage of FunkyDan
Kemi
Totoro

Registration Date: 05.25.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kemi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I have heard very bad reviews about this and yes it are mostly the fans who are complaining about the movie not following the anime series. But I agree with Roarkiller than we must not forget it is an adaptation, something different. The director even said he wanted to make a real action movie based on the series, but then different, with some new things in it. So not exactly the same as the series, it would be boring in that case I guess.

Though I think he could better hire unknown actors and Asian actors, just like in the series. It would make it more credible.

Anyway, if it was as good as the Ghibli adaptations, no one would complain about it! The director just had to make a GREAT movie with better dialogues and not trying to make as much money out of it by making three movies that are 'just okay'...
but well, that's my opinion about it.

I think I will watch it by myself one day, but definitely not in the cinema. Besides, I only watch the series if my bro is watching

Post last edited by Kemi on 08.21.2010, 02:06 PM.

08.21.2010, 02:04 PM Kemi is offline   Profile for Kemi Add Kemi to your buddy list
aluka
Kodama

Registration Date: 07.29.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by aluka Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hi, I just saw it....... uh yeah.
I would just like to point out that Avatar is actually not an anime its American it just looks like anime.

11.01.2010, 11:09 PM aluka is offline   Profile for aluka Add aluka to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

picky, picky, picky... lol

just funning with you, aluka...

Yes, the correct definition of anime in the dictionary is a Japanese made animation...

But, the term 'anime' has been used so much that, like 'Kleenex' is pretty much the generic term for facial tissue, 'anime' has become the generic term for an animated film regardless of where it was made...

Post last edited by husky51 on 11.02.2010, 10:40 PM.

11.02.2010, 10:40 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by husky51 'anime' has become the generic term for an animated film regardless of where it was made...

Unless it's not made in Japan! I mean, Wallace and Gromit is animated and that's not 'anime'. *smirk*

What I think you meant to say was 'anime is the generic term for animated cartoons that use Japanese comic artistic styling regardless of where they are produced.'

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

11.03.2010, 01:09 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

There are different views of what constitutes anime in different places and groups. In Japan, anime is an abbreviation of "animation" and so can refer to animated film from anywhere. In the West, many die-hard fans of Japanese animation will refuse to regard anything else as anime, feeling that the place of origin defines it. And then there are people who think that anime is a particular style, and so incorporates other animation inspired by Japanese cartoons.

I'd go for the second definition, because the first is certainly not valid over here, and the third results in questions over whether Japanese animation that doesn't conform to a particular genre can be called anime. And I definitely don't think of it as a genre in itself.

Post last edited by arren18 on 11.03.2010, 06:52 AM.

11.03.2010, 06:51 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
[  1  2    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks