QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Asian Film Thread
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Tavern General Discussions Asian Film Thread Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Kodama

Registration Date: 04.12.05
  Asian Film ThreadPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by hopscotch Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

India used to be the "head" of asian flims in Asia ages ago, that is before when HongKong movie take place in 70s.

HongKong movies, in my opinion, 1980's-1990's is dominating in Asia. During that period, there are Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, etc...
but now, HongKong movies are getting really really boring..

China, Korea and Japan are the top 3 film-making countries in Asia now, there are several films that I would suggest you guys to watch if you are a Asian film lover..

Chinese:

《In the Heat of the Sun》China, 1995
director:Jiang Wen
screenplay: Jiang Wen, Wang Shuo (from his novel "Wild Beasts"
cinematography: Gu Changwei
editor: Zhou Ying
design: Chen Haozheng ; Li Yongxin
music: Guo Wenjing
producer: Manfred Wong ; Liu Xiaoqing ; (execs Guo Youliang ; Hsu An-chin ; Ki Po
production co.: Hong Kong Dragon Film ; China Film Co-Production Corporation
123 or 134 min

Link:http://www.chinesecinemas.org/intheheat.html

it is my favourite, well if you have no idea what people's life is like during Culture Revolution in China, this movie tells you a bit.
I become a JiangWen fan just because of this movie.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

《Ke Ke Xi Li Mountain Patrol》

Artist Name(s) : LU CHUAN | DUO BU JIE | ZHANG LEI
Release Date : October 11, 2004
Language : Mandarin

http://www.china.org.cn/english/2004/Oct/110492.htm

http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/pi...videos/did-106/

It is like a documentry type of movie based on true stories, the story is unfamiliar to Chinese people as well, there are a few amazing scenes in that movie.

and talking about Director Lu Chuan, there is another film called 《the missing gun》, released in 2003

http://www.culturevulture.net/Movies6/MissingGun.htm

I think many of you guys might not understand the background of the film, but i realli like it..

------------------------------------------------------------------------

《Hero》,2002
Director: Zhang Yimou
Starring: Jet Li, Zhang Ziyi, Chen Daoming, etc..

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0299977/

some of you might have seen this movie, I know lots of people were criticizing on this movie because the story line is boring, I actually dun agree, this film is not easy to understand, but it implies many acient Chinese philosophys.

And the director Zhang Yimou is probably one of the most award winning Asian directors in decades, all of his movies are worth to watch.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

《A world without thieves》,2004
Director: Feng Xiaogang
Starring:Ge You, Andy Lau, Liu Ruoying..

official web site:http://www.aworldwithoutthieves.com/

The director Feng Xiaogang is ranking no.2 in China mainland, his film reases during Spring Festival each year for 6 years, and many Chinese people were cheered by his comedy.

Alright to watch...

----------------------------------------------------------------------

HK movie these years, i think 《Shaolin Soccer》is worth to watch.
however I dun love HongKong movies as much as before..

Japanese:

《All about lily chou-chou》, 2001
Director: Shunji Iwai

link:http://www.mediacircus.net/aalcc.html

it is one of my favourate... however it is the music which links through the movie, and the lily chouchou album is becoming my favourite as well...

It's about a bunch of Japanese high school students, joining Gangs, suicide and stuff like tht..I love that movie, but youth isn't that cruel in Japan..:D

anyway, Shunji Iwai's movie are all very beaytiful..
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Takeshi Kitano...
what can I say about him...
he is the best director in Japan.
《Dolls》, 2005
etc etc.........

must see.

thanks guys for reading, my English is poor, and I wish the movies that I recommended can bring you happiness.

well of course there are lots more nice Asian movies, welcome discussion and I hope to learn from you guys..

Post last edited by hopscotch on 04.12.2005, 06:37 AM.

04.12.2005, 06:15 AM hopscotch is offline   Profile for hopscotch Add hopscotch to your buddy list
Jiji
Oldie newbie

Registration Date: 01.15.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Jiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thanks for your sharing. A pity that I have not seen any of the films listed. The closest one that I watched is "Kung Fu Hustle," another film directed by Stephen Chow besides "Shaolin Soccer." But I consider the former an even weaker piece of work, with too much concentration on CG and has little attenttion on plot and character development. (interesting comment from a reporter: In the movie, Chow is just like a spinning top )

Have you ever watched "Infernal Affairs?" I think it is one of the best HK films in the recent years. The story, the plot and the characters are all top-notch. I heard that Hollywood is making a US remake version of the movie with an all-star cast.

Nevermind your English by the way. I am also not an English native-speaker. My tongue has the tendency of twisting itself up whenever a foreigner stands in front of me.

04.12.2005, 12:27 PM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
hopscotch
Kodama

Registration Date: 04.12.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by hopscotch Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

thx for your reply jiji.
yey...Stephen Chow's Kung Fu Hussle is boring, I actually enjoyed ShaoLin Soccer coz i'm a crazy soccer fan. but Kung Fu Hussle explains why in recent years HK movies are going down...too much special effects, charactors and stories are not well developed, it is quite common in HK movie industry though..
Infernal Affairs, that movie is very popular, there are three parts all connected with each other, here is HK version of IA III official website:
http://www.infernalaffairs.com/
That is the best HK movies in recent years, its got all the best actors in HK now. The story is quite interesting,
ok to watch for me.
I think the American version of IA is gonna be better,( unlike the ring1&2, they made it so funny).:P

04.13.2005, 05:57 AM hopscotch is offline   Profile for hopscotch Add hopscotch to your buddy list
UO
(/`A')/

Registration Date: 03.03.02
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by UO Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

haha i watched kungfu hustle too, i guess it was funny enough that it didnt need much character development

it's not a serious movie and prob should fall into categories of Scary Movie

05.02.2005, 05:10 PM UO is offline   Profile for UO Add UO to your buddy list Send an Email to UO Homepage of UO
starhawk
Tanuki

Registration Date: 04.20.04
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by starhawk Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Kung Fu Hustle just opened in my area. I'd go see it...if Star Wars wasn't coming out in a couple weeks.

05.03.2005, 09:55 PM starhawk is offline   Profile for starhawk Add starhawk to your buddy list
Neko Danshaku =^^=
Calcifer

Registration Date: 04.21.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Neko Danshaku =^^= Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've just watched 誰も知らない "Nobody Knows"....

www.kore-eda.com/daremoshiranai/

it's a great movie....

06.02.2005, 04:02 PM Neko Danshaku =^^= is offline   Profile for Neko Danshaku =^^= Add Neko Danshaku =^^= to your buddy list
Yuki Rinehart
Kodama

Registration Date: 07.13.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yuki Rinehart Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

>.>;; neither of these films were listed their but has anyone here seen:

Battle Royale 1 or 2

Moon Child

and if sooo; what are your thoughts on these (Japanese films btw)

07.13.2005, 08:59 PM Yuki Rinehart is offline   Profile for Yuki Rinehart Add Yuki Rinehart to your buddy list Send an Email to Yuki Rinehart Add Yuki Rinehart to your contact list AIM Screenname: YukiRinehart YIM Screenname: YukiRinehart
Neko Danshaku =^^=
Calcifer

Registration Date: 04.21.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Neko Danshaku =^^= Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I have those movies.... we got many Asian Movies (Japan, Korea, Hongkong, China, Taiwan, and Thailand) distributed here....

my opinion about JP movies?

I like to watch some and dislike some...
its theme is interesting but fragile..

07.15.2005, 10:45 AM Neko Danshaku =^^= is offline   Profile for Neko Danshaku =^^= Add Neko Danshaku =^^= to your buddy list
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks