QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What book(s) are you reading right now?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Tavern General Discussions What book(s) are you reading right now? Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  ...    »  ]
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Husky quote:
"yes, it was geared to the mind of a child, but I still read the entire 8-vol series."

Hmmmm... Is that saying something about me? A little self-analysis, maybe? lol

Yep, still a kid at heart... or mind... or something...

topic:

"The Gates of Heaven" by Paul Preuss.
it was given to me to read by a co-worker and I read it yesterday. A sci-fi that I remembered reading many years ago after I got about half-way theough it...

08.27.2011, 09:50 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

finished another Dick Francis novel, "Shattered" and "Risk" before that. Oh, and an Agatha Christie between them.

Post last edited by husky51 on 09.13.2011, 04:04 AM.

09.13.2011, 04:03 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Unregistered User

Registration Date:
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I just finished reading The Screwtape Letters, by C.S. Lewis. A very thoughtful and provocative book.

09.18.2011, 11:33 AM  
husky51
The Old Guy

"Memoirs of a Geisha" by Arthur Golden

My daughter-in-law says it was a good movie...

09.20.2011, 04:17 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

"M is for Malice" by Sue Grafton...

one of a series about private eye novels Kinsey Millhone

09.28.2011, 10:21 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

"Without Remorse" by Tom Clancy

10.01.2011, 01:58 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
hopexx5
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.17.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by hopexx5 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Going to have a crack at the lord of the rings books at some point.

10.01.2011, 03:01 PM hopexx5 is offline   Profile for hopexx5 Add hopexx5 to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

personally read them decades ago, including "The Hobbit". enjoyed them all although I couldn't seem to get 'into' "Silmarillion" (sic) that much. Finished it though and have re-read the others as well...

10.01.2011, 03:51 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

"Agatha H and the Airship city" by Phil and Kaja Foglio

and
"C is for Corpse" by Sue Grafton
=====================

"Q is for Quarry" also by Sue Grafton

Post last edited by husky51 on 10.10.2011, 11:59 AM.

10.09.2011, 03:01 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas, I've already previously read The Three Musketeers so I knew I liked Dumas but this is even better! It's such a long book and so complicated in all the different relationships between characters and so on, but it never makes you bored, and I just love the Count!

10.11.2011, 05:56 AM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

"The Grapes of Wrath" by John Steinbeck

10.11.2011, 10:00 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

It is not often that I find a book that I want to try that I find I simply CAN"T read it.

I have picked up a novel by M.C. Beaton numerous times to try and read more of it, but this one is simply beyond me. I will force myself to read a few pages, but there is absolutely no interest, no desire to continue on. In one review, she was compared with Agatha Christie, but I don't see it. Her main character is named Agatha Raisin, a middle-aged private detective with numerous former employees around to help.

In fact, I now have "A Carribbean Mystery" by Christie that I will now read to get the taste of Beaton's book out of my system.

10.16.2011, 09:21 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Read "Cap'n Fatso" by Daniel V. Gallery.

He was the US Navy Captain who, with his little task group, captured the U-505 on the high seas during WWII. This is a fictional tale about a Navy Boatswain's Mate aboard an LCU in the Mediterranean around the time of the Cuban missile crisis. 1962 or 63, I believe.

==============================
now reading another book by Gallery called 'Eight Bells'. The story of his life in the US Navy...

Post last edited by husky51 on 11.17.2011, 03:05 AM.

11.13.2011, 11:37 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

A few days ago I started Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami, which I've wanted to read for ages! I like it so far, but as I'm such a slow reader it'll be a while before I can give a real conclusion.

11.17.2011, 06:41 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Kemi
Totoro

Registration Date: 05.25.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kemi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
"Memoirs of a Geisha" by Arthur Golden

My daughter-in-law says it was a good movie...

Oh I am absolutely in LOVE with that movie! Tell me, how do you find the book? I want to read it as well.

I am reading a classic at the moment: Wuthering Heights

11.24.2011, 12:27 PM Kemi is offline   Profile for Kemi Add Kemi to your buddy list
Jiji
Oldie newbie

Registration Date: 01.15.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Jiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

"Beatless!" by Satoshi Hase.

The first few chapters are available online in its official website as pdfs and that is why I am reading it. Good old science fiction filled with action and moral dilemma. The cute android girls are certainly a plus.

11.25.2011, 03:19 PM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
husky51
The Old Guy

@Kemi...

I absolutely enjoyed it... The book was written as though it was an actual history being related. I liked it, yes...

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Was saddened to hear of the death of Anne McCaffery, author of the "Dragonsriders of Pern" series and others equally as well done. I named my latest Dragon for her, appropriately, it is a Gold female named in the Pernese style. KinAnneth...

Post last edited by husky51 on 11.26.2011, 05:13 PM.

11.26.2011, 05:10 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Calforsale
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hmm i should read now. I just finished school so i have a lot of time on my hands, tomorrow will be the first day of my 3 and a half school holidays.

11.30.2011, 07:34 AM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

reading "Warrior Class" by Dale Brown

11.30.2011, 01:33 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Mush
Baron

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
Was saddened to hear of the death of Anne McCaffery, author of the "Dragonsriders of Pern" series and others equally as well done.

Oh, that's saddening... The Pern novels were my introduction to science fiction in elementary school. They really captivated me.

11.30.2011, 08:19 PM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
[  «    ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks