QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What book(s) are you reading right now?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » What book(s) are you reading right now? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  ...    »  ]
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Reading a story form book about a historical gunfight that was supposedly more violent than the OK Corral gunfight in Tombstone, Arizona with Wyatt Earp.

It involves the small, pioneer town of Campo in Southern California just north of the Mexican border and about 50 miles east of San Diego. It is titled "Campo, The Forgotten Gunfight" and written by Byron Harrington.

06.06.2015, 04:21 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Abt the book "Campo, the Forgotten Gunfight", yeah a lot of shooting and violence, but not consistant with the reported hype of being wilder that the OK Corral fight, IMO...

Probably one of the worst written books that I have ever had the misfortune to read. The last section gave a brief history of everything from the Gold Rush of 1849 and the main characters probable meeting with Wyatt Earp in San Diego years after the Campo fight...

Now reading a good fiction by Robert B. Parker, "Appaloosa"...

06.08.2015, 06:03 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Another Robert B. Parker book, "Potshot"...

06.17.2015, 12:16 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Buffy
Kodama

Registration Date: 07.07.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Buffy Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard: The Sword of Summer by Rick Riordan.

01.21.2016, 12:15 AM Buffy is offline   Profile for Buffy Add Buffy to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Welcome to the Tavern, Buffy... You're off to a good start, we are always happy to see new faces in here...

01.21.2016, 01:10 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Recently I've been reading Surface Detail by Iain M Banks. I'm a bit of a slow reader though, so it'll take me a while to get through.

01.21.2016, 07:53 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

I am currently reading "The Cartoon History of the Modern World" part II: From the Bastille to Baghdad by Larry Gonick.

History delivered in a humorous, cartoon format.

01.21.2016, 01:08 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

"No One Noticed the Cat" by Ann McCaffrey

I love all of her books

01.26.2016, 03:10 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.02.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm currently reading Starting Point: 1979-1996 by Hayao Miyazaki

01.26.2016, 06:23 PM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
belborges
Ohmu

Registration Date: 11.01.15
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by belborges Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Flare, it's a great read!

01.26.2016, 08:51 PM belborges is offline   Profile for belborges Add belborges to your buddy list
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.02.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

So far, it seems that way. Chills, definitely makes me want to chase my dream of someday making films.

01.26.2016, 09:23 PM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
belborges
Ohmu

Registration Date: 11.01.15
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by belborges Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Me too, it made me feel more confident about being an animator. It's truly inspiring.

01.26.2016, 09:47 PM belborges is offline   Profile for belborges Add belborges to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

"Pegasus in Flight" by Anne McCaffrey (author of "The Dragonriders of Pern" which I have read all of them... Very good author IMO

02.08.2016, 12:46 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

In the last two or three weeks I have read "Appaloosa" and "Potshot" by Robert B. Parker and also "Freedom's Landing" by Anne McCaffrey. I am currently reading "Damia" also by Anne McCaffrey...

Parker's books are generally a far easier read for me and I started and finished Potshot in two days of intermittant reading during the day and evening...

I have a number favorite authors that I will read and re-read the same stories over the years.
Louis L'Amour... (primarily western's but also historical type novals)
Tony Hillerman... (Primarily tales about relativly modern Navaho Indian Nation.)
Dick Francis... (primarily about English-style horse racing.)
Daniel V. Gallery... primarily satiracal tales of the US Navy...

As well as the above first mentioned authers and a few others whose names escape me at the moment...

12.10.2016, 03:14 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Threewishes
Tanuki

Registration Date: 03.23.17
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Threewishes Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Lately I have been reading H.P. Lovecrafts novels and an encyclopedia of warships(from WW2 to the present day).

Does anyone have an opinion on this book:
https://www.amazon.com/Turning-Point-199...i/dp/1421560909

I'm wondering whether I should buy it, I already have the Starting point, which I liked a lot.

05.04.2017, 02:45 AM Threewishes is offline   Profile for Threewishes Add Threewishes to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

If you want to know more about Miyazaki, Turning Point will give it to you, IMO. I have both Starting Point and Turning Point in my personal library and I re-read them on occasion...

05.04.2017, 03:14 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Threewishes
Tanuki

Registration Date: 03.23.17
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Threewishes Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thanks husky, that sounds just like what I found interesting in the Starting Point too.

05.04.2017, 04:27 AM Threewishes is offline   Profile for Threewishes Add Threewishes to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Just finished "The Last Dance" a novel of the 87th Precinct. by Ed McBain

A police detective novel.

Under the McBain nom de plume he has written over 69 novels since 1956 through 1999.

Under the name Evan Hunter he has written 22 more novels and short story collections; 4 childrens books, 4 screenplays including "Strangers When We Meet" and "The Birds" (the Alfred Hitchcock film) and 3 Teleplays.

He also wrote the novel "Blackboard Jungle"

This "nightmarish but authentic" ("Time" portrait of a high school English teacher and the defiant, uncontrollable students in his charge rings with ferocious urgency and harrowing realism. A timeless rendering of youth culture set against the backdrop of 1950s New York City, "The Blackboard Jungle" speaks powerfully to the alarming epidemic of violence and security issues in today's schools.

I read this decades ago and have seen the movie as well... A very dramatic story...

Over the decades, I've read almost all of his novels, except the childrens books, I don't recall them.

07.03.2017, 08:03 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Mostly just been reading webcomics. Hoping to find some webnovels that pique my interest. Been debating publishing my work as webnovels because I realized I want to have full control of my stories. So many awesome webcomics but it's so hard to come across novels online that captivate my attention (maybe possibly due to writing inexperience of new authors).

One webcomic I've been reading is Long Exposure. The art is so clean and Disney-reminiscent. Also enjoy the creator's humour.

07.03.2017, 08:17 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

I've been mostly reading novels and need to do more manga. I have so many, many manga that I am going to donate a number of manga that I have little interest in anymore to my local library for the younger people to read... I even happen to have two sets of 'Fruits Basket" and "Love Hina" ( I don't know how that happened)... I'll give one of each...

07.04.2017, 01:28 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
[  «    ...  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks