QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What book(s) are you reading right now?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » What book(s) are you reading right now? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  ...    »  ]
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I finally read 'Call of the Wild' by Jack London the other day - I really enjoyed it! The perspective of the Alaskan gold rush from a dog's eyes was really interesting. I want to read White Fang next.

07.05.2017, 04:58 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Any of Jack London's novels are a good read... I think I've read them all.... And re-read some of them as well...

07.05.2017, 11:22 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Farren
Baron

Registration Date: 07.18.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Farren Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Currently reading 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami, it's really good so far!

07.07.2017, 08:16 AM Farren is offline   Profile for Farren Add Farren to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

On top of the three movies that I watched today, I finished the last half of the Louis L'Amour novel "To Tame a Land"...

07.09.2017, 03:53 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Just finished "The First Fast Draw" by, guess who? oh, yeah, Louis L'Amour... big surprise. huh? lol

07.10.2017, 08:43 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Farren
Currently reading 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami, it's really good so far!

Have you read any other Murakami? I own all of his books, in the previous cover editions of the North American copies. The current cover editions are mostly quite ugly, which makes me sad..

07.10.2017, 10:44 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

"Island of the Blue Dolphins" by Scott O'Dell

Basically, the fictionalized tale of a Native-American woman who was stranded on St Nicolas Island abt 70 miles of the Coast of California, part of the Channel Island Chain, which includes Santa Catalina Island.

Wikipedia:
Juana Maria (died October 19, 1853), better known to history as the Lone Woman of San Nicolas Island (her Native American name is unknown), was a Native American woman who was the last surviving member of her tribe, the Nicoleño. She lived alone on San Nicolas Island off the coast of California from 1835 until her discovery in 1853. Scott O'Dell's award-winning children's novel Island of the Blue Dolphins (1960) was inspired by her story.

The sad part of her tale that isn't mentioned in the book is that only 7 weeks after on the mainland, she consumed to much nutrition rich food and subsequently died. Wiki did not give her anme but she was baptized Juana Maria shortly before her death.

I forget how, but watching "The Red Turtle" led me to this story, both fact and fiction...

07.11.2017, 05:24 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Farren
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Farren Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:

Have you read any other Murakami? I own all of his books, in the previous cover editions of the North American copies. The current cover editions are mostly quite ugly, which makes me sad..

Hey FFF!

Good to hear from you

I have read Sputnik Sweetheart, The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles, Norwegion Wood and The Elephant Vanishes. I know he has a number of other books as well though.
I really enjoy Murakami's work, sometimes his endings have annoyed me though, and there were times where I had to reread sections to understand them. The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle inparticular I ended up going on Reddit to find out how others interpret some of the elements. His use of metaphors and symbolism is really cool, but sometimes leaves me a bit like "woah! What just happened!".

Yeah the covers are very minimalist, I can't say I'm much of a fan either.

07.11.2017, 06:02 AM Farren is offline   Profile for Farren Add Farren to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Husky, that was my favourite novel when I was nine! I randomly found it in my classroom and decided to read it. Haven't forgotten a single part of it. I might've read it two or three times.

quote:
Originally posted by Farren
quote:

Hey FFF!

Good to hear from you

I have read Sputnik Sweetheart, The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles, Norwegion Wood and The Elephant Vanishes. I know he has a number of other books as well though.
I really enjoy Murakami's work, sometimes his endings have annoyed me though, and there were times where I had to reread sections to understand them. The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle inparticular I ended up going on Reddit to find out how others interpret some of the elements. His use of metaphors and symbolism is really cool, but sometimes leaves me a bit like "woah! What just happened!".

Yeah the covers are very minimalist, I can't say I'm much of a fan either.

The prior covers are beautiful, glad I got them for most of the books. haha Except for Strange Library, I bought the UK edition because I was in New York when it came out and that edition is one of my favourites. I also like the French covers.

Haha I find that happens a lot with Japanese authors? My favourite is Kafka on the Shore just because it's pretty... out there. I also love Underground although it's not a fictional novel. Wind-Up Bird was a weird novel in general. I didn't quite like 1Q84 for some reason (that, and my cat ripped my edition..). But it's interesting, I would've preferred it if it were shorter.

After Dark is also one of my faves. I was crying in the library reading it. I think it's one of the few novels of his with relatable female characters. But I'll never get over the literal translation of a hoodie as parka..

07.11.2017, 05:07 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

quote:
Originally posted by foreignfilmfreak
Husky, that was my favourite novel when I was nine! I randomly found it in my classroom and decided to read it. Haven't forgotten a single part of it. I might've read it two or three times.

Surprisingly, the author followed the tale whe told fairly well at the parts that I could check, more or less.. like wgeb tge archeologists checked the Island in later decades, they found some of the things Karana (the name in the book), through O'Dell's writing, spoke about, like the whalebone house...

If you liked the book, FFF, you should see "The Red Turtle", I think that you'd like it...

07.11.2017, 05:18 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Farren
Baron

quote:
The prior covers are beautiful, glad I got them for most of the books. haha Except for Strange Library, I bought the UK edition because I was in New York when it came out and that edition is one of my favourites. I also like the French covers.

Haha I find that happens a lot with Japanese authors? My favourite is Kafka on the Shore just because it's pretty... out there. I also love Underground although it's not a fictional novel. Wind-Up Bird was a weird novel in general. I didn't quite like 1Q84 for some reason (that, and my cat ripped my edition..). But it's interesting, I would've preferred it if it were shorter.

After Dark is also one of my faves. I was crying in the library reading it. I think it's one of the few novels of his with relatable female characters. But I'll never get over the literal translation of a hoodie as parka..

I only ever have seen the minimalist covers, although my 1Q84 has a different type of cover. I too haven't loved 1Q84 yet, but I keep picking it up and putting it down irregularly. I have been distracted with my own writing and don't seem to manage reading as I write stuff, or possibly just try and avoid subconsciously getting influenced by another story.

I have read Kafka on the Shore too. It is a very good book, but yeah very strange. I find it interesting how often music features in his writing and how he writes about meals and cooking.
I will check out After Dark, sounds intense though.

I haven't read any other Japanese authors of fiction, apart from Manga, so I have nothing to compare it to, any recommendations?

Post last edited by Farren on 07.13.2017, 08:04 AM.

07.13.2017, 08:03 AM Farren is offline   Profile for Farren Add Farren to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Hey, guess what? Another Louis L'AMour book, "North to the Rails"

07.15.2017, 06:32 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

I finished "The Red Badge of Courage" by Stephen Crane this afternoon...

Not my favorite novel, too many big words, considering the supposed education of the characters, but I suppose that was the style back then.

Post last edited by husky51 on 07.27.2017, 02:25 AM.

07.18.2017, 02:37 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

I started and read over half of Rudyard Kipling's "Captain's Couregous" while up on Mount San Jacinto today...

I've read it a couple of times before as well as having seen the movie... All were good...

07.27.2017, 02:23 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Threewishes
Tanuki

Registration Date: 03.23.17
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Threewishes Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I have read Jack Londons stories this summer too, namely
The Mutiny of the Elsinore and The Cruise of the Snark.
I have enjoyed very much reading London for leisure, as I have otherwise pressed myself studying for the upcoming year in university... Books I have covered considering that are The Chemistry for Environmental and Earth Sciences, and 3000 vuosimiljoonaa, which is a finnish geology book.

08.15.2017, 12:38 PM Threewishes is offline   Profile for Threewishes Add Threewishes to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Finished "Captain's Courageous" a while back and finally finished a WWII Navy novel, "Harm's Way" by James Bassett that a movie was more or less made from it. It starts just prior to the Pearl Harbor attack and continues through a portion of the war in a fictionalized battle, etc and the personal losses and life, etc. As a Navy man, I can relate strongly the shipboard life portrayed in the novel...

08.23.2017, 01:35 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

finished two Louis L'Amour books... "Haunted Mesa", unusual for this author, in fact, the only one of his novels that I am aware of. It involves crossing over to another world... The other one was titled "Utah Blaine"

08.27.2017, 11:01 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

finished "Where the Long Grass Blows" and "Hanging Woman Creek" by Louis L'Amour...

I am working my way through my Louis L'Amour collection of over 100 of his novels... I am going to start mixing in some of my manga for variety...

09.06.2017, 10:33 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Threewishes
Tanuki

Registration Date: 03.23.17
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Threewishes Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I have read Robert A. Heinleins Double Star, and after that Raymond Chandlers A Long Good-Bye. Now I'm reading novels from Thomas Mann. Mann caught my eye in the library because I recalled his book - The Magic Mountain - being mentioned in The Wind Rises.

09.17.2017, 09:14 AM Threewishes is offline   Profile for Threewishes Add Threewishes to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

quote:
Originally posted by Threewishes
I have read Robert A. Heinleins Double Star, and after that Raymond Chandlers A Long Good-Bye. Now I'm reading novels from Thomas Mann. Mann caught my eye in the library because I recalled his book - The Magic Mountain - being mentioned in The Wind Rises.

I like Heinlein novels, in fact almost ALL of the old Sci/Fi authors... Wells, Asimov, just so many that I can't being them to mind all at once...

As far as finding book titles from Movies, this, too, has happened...

09.17.2017, 02:04 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
[  «    ...  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks