QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What book(s) are you reading right now?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » What book(s) are you reading right now? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  ...    »  ]
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

A Tom Clancy book written by Mark Greaney...

"Full Force and Effect"

Spending a lot of time reading it... As a 'new book' at the library, I only have it for a week and almost 700 pages...

If, at the end of the week, I haven't finished it I can check and see if anyone else has requested it... If not, I can re-new it for another week...

05.11.2015, 04:27 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.02.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Fangirl, by Rainbow Rowell. I'm really enjoying it so far! If any of you has written fanfiction, it really hits home. It's also a really great perspective on college, I think. I highly recommend it.

05.11.2015, 04:49 PM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
potatotarzan
Kodama

Registration Date: 01.02.15
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by potatotarzan Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've started reading The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (the lightnovel). For some reason I've been curious about that series for a long time now, so I figured why not give it a try.

I'm only a bit over a chapter in, and I already have mixed feelings...

On the one hand, it's fun to read. And I'm legitimately interested to see what will happen next. (I know they're gonna name the club the SOS Brigade, but I mean after that, lol.)

On the other hand, "Kyon" (How is that even pronounced?!) isn't the greatest narrator in the world. He keeps saying these pointless comments about everything.

But by far my main beef with it so far is the treatment of the newly-introduced Mikuru Asahina. So, Haruhi kidnaps her, and Mikuru's crying, and then Haruhi starts... fondling Mikuru's boobs... under her clothes....

I don't know, call me crazy, but I find that bothersome. Or to be more specific, mean-spirited. I know, Haruhi's supposed to be this weird, aggressive person, but I think this is going too far. I'm gonna go out on a limb and accuse the author of including that for no reason other than to make his readers go jack off or something...

*gloom*

I know this is probably nothing compared to some of the other anime out there, but before I get emotionally-invested in a series, I'd like to feel comfortable with it.

I'll probably keep reading, but part of me says that it might be one of those series that it's better if I just avoid, for my own personal sanity. But yeah, I'll probably still give it a chance....

EDIT: Well, I read a number of pages further, before definitively closing the book. I am simply unable to read it anymore. It feels like it's eating my soul. I think I'm just gonna sell it.

Oh well. Sometimes I wonder if the series I'm into are completely random, like I just like whatever series I happen upon; so I guess this is at least a bit of evidence against this theory. I guess I'll stick with just reading the Rozen Maiden manga for now, which I've almost finished. (the 1st series)

Post last edited by potatotarzan on 05.21.2015, 11:58 PM.

05.20.2015, 08:07 PM potatotarzan is offline   Profile for potatotarzan Add potatotarzan to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Haruhi Suzumiya, the manga is a hard series to follow. I forget the order offhand, but there is a suggested order in which to get the most enjoyment out of it.
I don't know what a light/novel would be like.

05.23.2015, 03:14 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
potatotarzan
Kodama

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by potatotarzan Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
Haruhi Suzumiya, the manga is a hard series to follow. I forget the order offhand, but there is a suggested order in which to get the most enjoyment out of it.
I don't know what a light/novel would be like.

( Glad you're foot's doing better, btw! )

Yeah, I've at least heard about the weird order in the anime.

But it's not that I'm having a hard time following the story. It's just that I don't like the whole weepy-girl-getting-sexually-taken-advantage-of fanservice thing. It really creeps me out. I am instinctively repulsed by it, and I am unable to give myself permission to get used to it / accept it.

It's been a problem for me while I've been reading K-On!, which occasionally treats the character Mio badly; but she is at least a somewhat strong character. The Melancholy is going even further, with this cute and innocent Mikuru being the target. (I know she's a time traveler, lol, but that doesn't help...)

I don't hate all fanservice. I never want it to be there, but I can just ignore it in series like Ranma 1/2, where it's just like, "Look, kids: Boobs!" When it becomes a problem for me is when it is tied in to this thing about innocent people being taken advantage of.

But just to be clear, I have nothing against you if you like The Melancholy series. This is just my own personal reaction. Rozen Maiden has a few bits of highly-questionable content that I try to ignore, lol.

05.24.2015, 10:22 PM potatotarzan is offline   Profile for potatotarzan Add potatotarzan to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

As you said, PT, a lot of anime has fanservice, but for the most part I, like you, ignore it. I primarily like the coming of age comedy types, but also have some like "Elfen Leid". Regardless, IMO, too much fanservice detracts a great deal from the storyline in too many cases... "Chobits"; "I, My, Me, Strawberry Egg"; "Too Love Ru" again, IMO are stories that the fanservice is just a part of the story and cointributes to the humor.

In Too Love Ru, when the poor kid is in his bathtub and the (of course) human-looking female suddenly appears in his bathtub with him and he inadvertentely touches her breasts, which in her culture is a proposal of marriage, all sorts of funny things happen as a direct result. I see the humor and not the sexuality. It is there, yes, but I over look it. I think that most of us read it, and others like that, with an eye of it being just a story.

PT, I do respect your views and understand where you are coming from and thankfully, for your views, I think that their are many, many series and manga available, you just have to look for them.

05.24.2015, 11:17 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
potatotarzan
Kodama

Yes, and for that I am very thankful... I think I'm getting better at seeing the warning signs that a series will contain content that I'll find offensive. With The Melancholy, all the warning signs were there, but some madness pushed me to try it anyway, thinking, "But it's Haruhi Suzumiya!! "

Evangelion is another series where I'd say most [if not all] of the fanservice is an integral part of the narrative. There's even a scene that seems to be criticizing the whole fanservice thing in which Shinji gets excited when he sees the body of his friend Asuka, who is in a coma... and then he feels awful afterwards.

But then there was one time recently when I was at the bookstore and read a few pages of the fanservice-y Eva spinoff series The Shinji Ikari Raising Project... It's kinda funny, Evangelion is supposed to have all this disturbing and depressing material [it does, lol], and Raising Project is supposed to be this light-hearted take on it, but I found the latter far more disturbing and depressing, lol. I guess it just goes to show how I think.

But anyway.... there are a good number of manga series that I'm into and am loving, and I will have to talk more about those; but I suppose I should save that for a different thread, so I don't derail this thread any more than I already have, lol!! Onward and upward.

Post last edited by potatotarzan on 05.25.2015, 12:04 PM.

05.25.2015, 12:03 PM potatotarzan is offline   Profile for potatotarzan Add potatotarzan to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I would argue it's fairly important in Haruhi Suzumiya, since it turns out (I don't know how much you know about the plot) that Mikuru is intentionally this ideal mascot type. However, I agree that that scene is uncomfortable in the books, as I'm reading it too just now (but in Japanese so don't expect me to finish any time soon). If it helps, I can tell you that it doesn't happen so frequently as it goes on, at least in the anime version, and there are times where Haruhi gets her comeuppance.

Anyway, you might enjoy it more if you watch the anime version instead. I find that the weird order they use there is more fun, and Kyon's commentary is mainly restricted to some sarcastic thoughts.

05.25.2015, 01:16 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
potatotarzan
Kodama

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
I would argue it's fairly important in Haruhi Suzumiya, since it turns out (I don't know how much you know about the plot) that Mikuru is intentionally this ideal mascot type. However, I agree that that scene is uncomfortable in the books, as I'm reading it too just now (but in Japanese so don't expect me to finish any time soon). If it helps, I can tell you that it doesn't happen so frequently as it goes on, at least in the anime version, and there are times where Haruhi gets her comeuppance.

Anyway, you might enjoy it more if you watch the anime version instead. I find that the weird order they use there is more fun, and Kyon's commentary is mainly restricted to some sarcastic thoughts.

I am glad to hear this. Especially since I already sold the book... I can always watch the anime on Crunchyroll, if I some day feel so inclined. But first, I gotta get back into the Fruits Basket anime... It's been so long, and I need to finish it!!

05.26.2015, 10:20 PM potatotarzan is offline   Profile for potatotarzan Add potatotarzan to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Fruits Basket!!! wild, I loved it!!!

05.26.2015, 10:41 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Picked a doozy to read this time. An old classic that I don't believe I have ever read before... I found it on the free book carousel at my local library...

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

Up to page 119 and it is hard to put down...

Hard to read, old paperback original price 60 cents, small print...

Post last edited by husky51 on 05.30.2015, 09:39 PM.

05.30.2015, 09:37 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.02.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Oh, I adore Jane Eyre! It's one of my favorite classic literature novels, along with Dracula and Great Expectations.

05.30.2015, 10:59 PM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Great Expetations and Bram Stokers Dracula I have read... And David Copperfield and several others...

05.31.2015, 12:52 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The Sioux War of 1876 by John S Gray.

This book has opened my eyes to the wickedness and corruption of Grant's Presidency and white man's greed in particular. Shocking. Saddening. How I wish we could undo the past.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

05.31.2015, 04:04 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm probably the only person who didn't enjoy Jane Eyre. lol Don't get me wrong, I really liked Jane as a character. I had a really good professor for discussing this book and it was one of his absolute favourites. But, I did try to like it. I've read it a couple of times growing up and it was a favourite of my mom's.

I think it was because of Rochester. lol

05.31.2015, 10:16 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

I just finished the 'gipsy fortuneteller' part. Open-minded of Rochester at this point...

no spoilers, please...

05.31.2015, 11:03 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kailee Brambani
Kodama

Registration Date: 12.05.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kailee Brambani Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hi, I'm currently reading the Bible for different inspirational stories and bible verses, like this one "For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven: a time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant , and a time to pluck up what is planted " - Ecclesiastes 3:1-2

06.01.2015, 01:15 AM Kailee Brambani is offline   Profile for Kailee Brambani Add Kailee Brambani to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Which became a very popular song at one time, Kailee

06.01.2015, 01:44 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

finished "Ramia" by Anne McCaffrey this morning. Up til 4am and just couldn't finish the last 10 or so pages... gave it up until 8:30 then finished it...(yawn) Me, not the book, lol

06.02.2015, 03:26 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kailee Brambani
Kodama

Registration Date: 12.05.14
  What book are you reading right now?Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kailee Brambani Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I 'm done with the other books of Mitch Albom. Now, I'm starting with another one at his best entitled " The First Phone Call from Heaven " .. This is a story about love and beliefs.

06.04.2015, 03:56 AM Kailee Brambani is offline   Profile for Kailee Brambani Add Kailee Brambani to your buddy list
[  «    ...  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks