QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What book(s) are you reading right now?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » What book(s) are you reading right now? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...    »  ]
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Since last wek I have read 8 Louis L'Mour novels,
now reading a J.A. Jance book, "Fatal Error"...

One of the L'Amour books, "The Warriors Path", starts out in the Carolinas, gets up around Boston (known as Shawmut at the time of the story), on a ship to Jamaica, then to the Chesapeake Bay area. Then a trek overland back to the interior of the Carolinas again.

Post last edited by husky51 on 06.12.2011, 08:41 AM.

06.12.2011, 08:37 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

hahaha, more L'Amour books...

the last two I read were "To the Far Blue Mountains" and "Jubal Sackett"...

The first starts out in England around the 16-1700's and after many adventures, ends up in the Carolinas. Barnabas Sackett is the father of two of the sons written about in "Warriors Path". And Jubal Sackett is another of the sons of Barnabas.

As you can see, L'Amour doesn't just write westerns...

A very realistic author. I am sorry that he died as he had many, many more stories to write...

Now going to start another one of his called "Last of the Breed" about a military pilot that goes down in Siberian Russia...

06.19.2011, 07:01 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Finished "Last of the Breed", wish ther had been a sequel... sigh.

Finished "Run the River", also by L'Amour... Abt a 16YO mountain girl who makes a trip down to the Settlements (Philadelphia) from her home up in the Tennessee mountains to receive a sum of money from an inheritence and her adventures in making her way home. Her name is Echo Sackett...

06.21.2011, 02:33 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

hmmmm, let me see.. Oh, yeah, two more Louis L'Amour's.. lol

"Where the Long Grass Grows" and "Flint"

I did read a SciFi by A.E. van Vogt titled "Renaissance". Not one of his better ones, but ok...

also "Slay Ride" by Dick Francis, a noted British author who writes great novels dealing with the horse racing in England and elsewhere... I rate him about with L'Amour...

06.29.2011, 01:19 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Registration Date: 04.06.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yay! Kiki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Corelli's Mandolin. I've just started so I forgot who wrote it, but so far it's really good!

06.29.2011, 12:59 PM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Just finished "The Puppet Masters" by Robert Heinlein
and "The Man from the Broken Hills" by L'Amour

07.08.2011, 11:25 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
hopexx5
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.17.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by hopexx5 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Seeing things, and autobiography of Oliver postgate

07.09.2011, 08:02 AM hopexx5 is offline   Profile for hopexx5 Add hopexx5 to your buddy list
ja
Kodama

Registration Date: 05.14.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ja Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Lynne Olson and Stanley Cloud, "A Question of Honor. The Kosciuszko Squadron: Forgotten Heroes of World War II"

Why so much stress?
Don't you have gains to get?
We all do, even you!
And the more you seek
The more you find, then
Love, night and rain - life is good
So try to luck and kill the pain
Tell me, do you always think you have no worth?
Find it in yourself!

07.14.2011, 12:22 PM ja is offline   Profile for ja Add ja to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Finished "The Kingdom" by Clive Cussler
"Sixkill" by Robert B. Parker
and "Dragon's Time" by Anne and Todd McCaffrey

08.08.2011, 03:05 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by husky51

Ahh, I used to devour her books. Dragonriders. xD

I am reading Anathem by Neal Stephenson. Requires a lot of attention to follow so I hope it's worth it.

08.08.2011, 03:11 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
quote:
Originally posted by husky51

Ahh, I used to devour her books. Dragonriders. xD

I was not as thrilled with this 'Dragonriders' book as I was with the others. I generally love ALL of Anne McCaffrey books.

08.08.2011, 08:36 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
colda
Tanuki

Registration Date: 11.12.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by colda Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Just started Dolores Claiborne.

08.16.2011, 11:04 PM colda is offline   Profile for colda Add colda to your buddy list
Kemi
Totoro

Registration Date: 05.25.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kemi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Just started with reading ''The Other Boleyn Girl'', it's already very nice to read, very easy and captivating.

08.20.2011, 03:32 PM Kemi is offline   Profile for Kemi Add Kemi to your buddy list
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Registration Date: 04.06.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yay! Kiki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Shame by Salman Rushdie. And it's excellent so far.

I recently finished Corelli's Mandolin by Louis de Bernieres and that was completely fantastic. One of the best books I've ever read.

08.20.2011, 04:39 PM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Just finished The Left Hand of God by Paul Hoffman. Pretty enjoyable, good adventure. I'll need to hunt down the sequel now...

My Anime List

08.20.2011, 05:49 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

almost finished with vol 8 (the last) of the Charlie Bone series by Jenny Nimmo.

It is written for kids and is like a lower age level Harry Potter dealing with magic and sorcery and para-psych happenings. There are deaths, and maimings, etc, but like I said, more on a grade school level. Yeah, I know, WHY am I reading them? Because my grandson recommended them to me and I wanted to see what sort of stuff he was reading.

BTW, he is 10...

08.20.2011, 10:39 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Jelly
Warawara

Registration Date: 08.20.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Jelly Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm reading "Eldest", by Christopher Paolini.
Just finished "Eragon" and I'm really hoping the second book will be as good, but I've heard by some that it's not... T_T

08.22.2011, 08:57 AM Jelly is offline   Profile for Jelly Add Jelly to your buddy list Send an Email to Jelly
husky51
The Old Guy

hahaha, one thing that I've learned over the years is that you have to make your own decision about books or movies. Many different things appeal to different people and this is no different.. (WOW, the word 'different' 3 times in one sentence, lol)

I can't count how many times I was told that I would enjoy 'this' book or not like 'that' movie and many times my reaction to the 'item' was just the opposite. I will read a book ( I read a LOT!) and if I like it, might even go looking for more by that author. The same goes for movies, I have seen literally hundreds of movies ever since I started going to the drive-in movies as a child and have read even longer, starting with comic books, lol...

All you can do, Jelly, is check it out, try reading it and if it isn't your cup of tea, then so be it. You go and try another. hahaha, my 10-yr old grandson recommended a book to me and, yes, it was geared to the mind of a child, but I still read the entire 8-vol series. It was kinda like a childish Harry Potter.

At any rate, check out the book first. It may be that you won't like it, but maybe you will. Make the decision by yourself, for yourself...

(damn, sound like a parent)
-------
((oh yeah, I AM one, lol)

Post last edited by husky51 on 08.22.2011, 10:00 AM.

08.22.2011, 09:58 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Jelly
Warawara

Registration Date: 08.20.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Jelly Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Haha thanks, I'll do that ^^

08.22.2011, 12:29 PM Jelly is offline   Profile for Jelly Add Jelly to your buddy list Send an Email to Jelly
Calforsale
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I finished reading The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath a bit ago. Beautiful, true, great book.

I really love Plath, she writes so well and specially.

08.27.2011, 07:29 AM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
[  «    ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks