QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What book(s) are you reading right now?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » What book(s) are you reading right now? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...    »  ]
O-Jay88
Warawara

Registration Date: 11.29.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by O-Jay88 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Orphic Okapi
If Cormac McCarthy has written a book with simple language he has certainly changed his style! I've read Blood Meridian and Suttree and both were fantastic novels, but I can't say the language struck me as simple.

"The neap mud along the shore lies ribbed and slick like the cavernous flitch of some beast hugely foundered and beyond the country rolls away to the south and the mountains. Where hunters and woodcutters once slept in their boots by the dying light of their thousand fires and went on, old teutonic forebears with eyes incandesced by the visionary light of a massive rapacity, wave on wave of the violent and the insane, their brains stoked with spoorless analogues of all that was, lean aryans with their abrogate semitic chapbook reenacting the dramas and parables therein and mindless and pale with a longing that nothing save dark's total restitution could appease."
- sample passage from Suttree

So is The Road easier reading, would you say?

Well, The Road is the only McCarthy book I've read so far, so I can't really tell if it is easier to read than the others or not, but it certainly wasn't hard . I thought the language was simple, not as in childish, but as in sparse. Most conversations consists of a few short sentences, or even just one word, which I think is fitting considering the situation (a man and his son trying to survive). We never learn the names of people, they are just a man, a boy, the woman etc. Also, the author often uses simple sentences, or just words to illustrate a landscape, or a mood. A paragraph may for example end with the sentence "Silence." Of course, he may have used many complicated sentences also, but this was the impression I get as I look back on my reading it.

However, I should point out that I actually read the novel translated into my own native language (Norwegian), though I would think it was a pretty accurate translation so my examples still stand.

Post last edited by O-Jay88 on 08.11.2010, 07:53 PM.

08.11.2010, 07:48 PM O-Jay88 is offline   Profile for O-Jay88 Add O-Jay88 to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
"The Girl Who Played With Fire" #2 in the series by Stieg Larsson

edit... it was such a good book that I spent most of Sunday reading it, all the way up to 2:30 AM. a surprise ending... Can't wait until I get ahold of vol 3...

I can understand you reading it so quickly! I'm a very slow reader and it took a while for the book to get going, so yesterday I was only about halfway through even though I started a couple of weeks ago. But then I ended up finishing it this morning! And I've now started the third one.

08.12.2010, 08:58 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by O-Jay88
Well, The Road is the only McCarthy book I've read so far, so I can't really tell if it is easier to read than the others or not, but it certainly wasn't hard . I thought the language was simple, not as in childish, but as in sparse. Most conversations consists of a few short sentences, or even just one word, which I think is fitting considering the situation (a man and his son trying to survive). We never learn the names of people, they are just a man, a boy, the woman etc. Also, the author often uses simple sentences, or just words to illustrate a landscape, or a mood. A paragraph may for example end with the sentence "Silence." Of course, he may have used many complicated sentences also, but this was the impression I get as I look back on my reading it.

However, I should point out that I actually read the novel translated into my own native language (Norwegian), though I would think it was a pretty accurate translation so my examples still stand.

Thanks for the description, I will have to check this book out.

08.12.2010, 09:16 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

"Kiss of the Bees" by J. A. Jance...

08.17.2010, 12:12 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Registration Date: 04.06.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yay! Kiki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I recently finished Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson, which was pretty much amazing.

And now I'm reading A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray, which is being really ridiculously good. It's weird-- I wouldn't usually like a book with a plot like this, but because of the way it is written, I can't put it down.

08.17.2010, 03:14 PM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
quote:
"The Girl Who Played With Fire" #2 in the series by Stieg Larsson

edit... it was such a good book that I spent most of Sunday reading it, all the way up to 2:30 AM. a surprise ending... Can't wait until I get ahold of vol 3...

I can understand you reading it so quickly! I'm a very slow reader and it took a while for the book to get going, so yesterday I was only about halfway through even though I started a couple of weeks ago. But then I ended up finishing it this morning! And I've now started the third one.

I have always been an avid reader and if the book holds my interest, as Larssons books have done, I have trouble putting the book down. This has created problems in the past, ie: going to work with only a couple of hours sleep; reading until I get a headache from eyestrain, etc to name just a couple...

I now have "...Hornets Nest" and I will be starting it tomorrow.

I put the Jance book aside for the moment and read "Howl's Moving Castle" last night and today at work during my breaks and finished it up tonight...

08.18.2010, 12:05 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yay! Kiki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm reading 'The Knife of Never Letting Go' by Patrick Ness... It's been pretty good so far. I needa find out what happens nextttttt.

08.21.2010, 11:06 PM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

A Home at the End of the World by Michael Cunningham.

Oh relationships...

08.22.2010, 10:35 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Queen of the Night by J.A. Jance

08.29.2010, 09:57 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I finished The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest today. I really liked the espionage aspect of this book; it gave it a very different feel from the others.

Post last edited by arren18 on 08.30.2010, 05:48 PM.

08.30.2010, 05:48 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

quote:
I finished The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest today. I really liked the espionage aspect of this book; it gave it a very different feel from the others.

I loved the series and I am sorry that there will be no more...

currently reading Planets for Sale by A.E.Vogt...

one of a number of sci-fi paperback novels that I got in a free give-a-way from the library. This one sold originally for 50 cents in 1965

08.30.2010, 06:46 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

quote:
quote:

Actually, there might be. Most of a fourth book was written before Larsson died, and there is a chance that it could be released in some form, but there's a legal dispute between his long-term partner and his father and brother, so nothing can happen yet. He'd intended to write up to ten books!

08.30.2010, 06:50 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
quote:
quote:

Actually, there might be. Most of a fourth book was written before Larsson died, and there is a chance that it could be released in some form, but there's a legal dispute between his long-term partner and his father and brother, so nothing can happen yet. He'd intended to write up to ten books!

Yeah, his long term partner who he was with for years, who supported him financially whilst he didn't work so he could write his books, is in a legal dispute because she's set not to recieve a penny from what was made from the books or anything. Which in my opinion, is fair enough. If I spent years supporting somebody only to be told to jog on when he unfortunately died, then i'd have done the same thing. At least that's what is going on to my knowledge.

I finished Temeraire the other day, so i'm off to the library to get the second one. The first was so good

08.31.2010, 08:04 AM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Yeah, that's right. They never married because then they'd have an address published, which was dangerous because he received death threats from Nazi organisations fairly regularly. Because he died suddenly, there was no will ready, and so everything has gone to his father and brother, who he apparently saw very rarely.

08.31.2010, 08:23 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
BlueRain
Kodama

Registration Date: 07.25.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by BlueRain Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I actually haven't heard of many of the books that are mentioned here which isn't suprising as a) I am not a book reader and b) I am probably at least a decade younger than most of the people here.
But recently I have got into books a lot more again. When I was about 8 or 9 I used to love reading.

quote:
I recently finished Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson, which was pretty much amazing.

I read that book and I thought it was very sad, quite sad though. Have you seen the film? I actually saw the film first its with Kristan stewart when she is 14, I actually prefer the storyline of the film as the end is more satisfying. Reading the book it feels like the guy gets away with it quite lightly.

A book a finished the other day was Her Fearful Symmetry but Audrey Niffenegger. It is actually one of my favourite books and despite the fact its quite a long book I didn't get bored atall as throughout the book its told from different perspectives that kind of merge half way though. Its a very, very strange book though. It makes me wonder how she got any of the ideas for it haha.

Another book I am reading now by the same author is the time travelers wife, which is more well known mainly because there has been a film made out of it. I watched the film last year and its very good. It stars Rachel Mcadams who is one of my favourite actresses. Its a very clever book and so far I think I prefer the book to the film.

I really reccomend all 3 of those books.

08.31.2010, 08:52 AM BlueRain is offline   Profile for BlueRain Add BlueRain to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

quote:
Originally posted by Nausicaa_Cat
quote:
quote:
quote:

then I hope to heck that it will be published...
looking to see the "...Plays with Fire" movie...

Yeah, his long term partner who he was with for years, who supported him financially whilst he didn't work so he could write his books, is in a legal dispute because she's set not to recieve a penny from what was made from the books or anything. Which in my opinion, is fair enough. If I spent years supporting somebody only to be told to jog on when he unfortunately died, then i'd have done the same thing. At least that's what is going on to my knowledge.

I finished Temeraire the other day, so i'm off to the library to get the second one. The first was so good

08.31.2010, 11:34 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm really enjoying The New Road, by Neil Munro. I love its Scottishness, and it's a really good adventure.

I started Walking On Glass by Ian Banks last night, which is okay so far.

My Anime List

09.01.2010, 01:49 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Yay! Kiki
Baron

The memoirs of Pablo Neruda.

God he is a fantastic writer. I guess it comes from him being succcch a good poet.

09.04.2010, 08:47 PM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
totoromerchandise
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 09.14.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by totoromerchandise Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Just start reading "Saint Seiya : The Next Dimension"

09.14.2010, 11:47 PM totoromerchandise is offline   Profile for totoromerchandise Add totoromerchandise to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

"Dark Canyon" by Louis L'Amour

one of my favorite, all time authors.... I have almost ALL of his books, missing only one or two and we're talking over a hundred of them. I have re-read some of his books at least five times and even when I know what is happening next, it is still a good read. Kinda like watching WotH over and over again...

09.15.2010, 07:22 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
[  «    1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks