QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What book(s) are you reading right now?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » What book(s) are you reading right now? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...    »  ]
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

"Fatal Terrain" by Dale Brown

07.13.2010, 10:23 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Sigy
Kodama

Registration Date: 07.17.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Sigy Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Oblomov by Ivan Gontšarov- after reading 80 pages can say its nothing special at least right now ..lets hope it will become more interesting

Keep smiling!!!!

07.19.2010, 01:19 PM Sigy is offline   Profile for Sigy Add Sigy to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

just finished "The Haj", a 1984 novel by Leon Uris about a Palestinian Arab family in the early to mid 1900's...

07.19.2010, 10:17 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Registration Date: 04.06.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yay! Kiki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I just finished Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan. Ahhhhh! So fantastic!
And now I'm onto
Postcards from No Man's Land by Aidan Chambers. So far it's pretty good - I'm expecting it to stay that way, because I've read a book of his before and it was fantastic.

07.20.2010, 01:04 AM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

"Crazy Horse: Strange Man of the Oglalas" by Mari Sandoz

very informative into the history of his life, a good read

============================
Monday: "Threshold" by Flint/Spoor

and checked out "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" today...

Post last edited by husky51 on 07.26.2010, 11:10 PM.

07.21.2010, 10:40 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've never read the Bourne series. So now I am...will. Before September. ^^

07.29.2010, 03:19 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I just finished reading the last of the Chaos Walking trilogy, and I was blown away. I cried. Again. Just something about this series of books is uncannily adept at drawing out embarassing, messy bouts of tears from me. The trilogy is probably my favourite books ever, and I don't say that lightly. As someone who reads a lot, reading being a passion of mine since I was a little child, it's hard to pick favourites. But I don't know. I was just blown away.

I can't recommend the books enough.

07.29.2010, 09:00 AM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
blackice10
Tanuki

Registration Date: 07.17.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by blackice10 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The Picture of Dorian Gray (before I watch the film, for some reason I never got round to it), the only portrayal I've seen is Stuart Townsend's Gray in The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, also a quite ancient copy of Graham Masterton's 'Family Portrait', thoroughly graphic in its descriptions. And more than gruesome enough. Love it.

1. I am never wrong.

2. If I'm ever wrong, refer to rule 1.

Be excellent to each other

07.29.2010, 03:09 PM blackice10 is offline   Profile for blackice10 Add blackice10 to your buddy list Send an Email to blackice10
Aeroflot
Kodama

Registration Date: 08.02.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Aeroflot Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Going through Jurassic Park. The book is quite a bit different from the movie, as should be expected. It's very interesting to see how the movie makers managed to condense the book into two hours. A lot of the story in the movie had to be implied.

08.02.2010, 10:53 AM Aeroflot is offline   Profile for Aeroflot Add Aeroflot to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

finished "The Girl with..." book

reading some of the "Fables" series... quite good, really... IMO

08.02.2010, 03:41 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Farren
Baron

Registration Date: 07.18.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Farren Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

cloud atlas by...
ahh it will come to me, i could run down stairs and check but i really don't think anyone could give a crusty muppet if i did or not so .. why bother

08.07.2010, 07:22 AM Farren is offline   Profile for Farren Add Farren to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

"Crusty muppet"? Lol. P:

Well... I've semi given up on The Magus by John Fowles. It was one of those books where you feel like you've read a hundred pages when you've actually read five. Bleh.

So I started The New Road by Neil Munro, which looks like it's going to be a bit more bearable.

My Anime List

08.07.2010, 08:09 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
jusomekid
Ohmu

Registration Date: 06.21.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by jusomekid Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

For One More Day - Mitch Albom

I enjoy his books, they're so interesting!

08.07.2010, 01:29 PM jusomekid is offline   Profile for jusomekid Add jusomekid to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

"The Girl Who Played With Fire" #2 in the series by Stieg Larsson

edit... it was such a good book that I spent most of Sunday reading it, all the way up to 2:30 AM. a surprise ending... Can't wait until I get ahold of vol 3...
----------------------------------
I finished reading the 'Fables' books in our library. Book #13 was NOT an enjoyable read. Too convoluted and mixed up, IMHO

Post last edited by husky51 on 08.09.2010, 11:29 AM.

08.08.2010, 04:11 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kemi
Totoro

Registration Date: 05.25.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kemi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The Howl's Moving Castle book by Diana Wynne Jones

In English, so it's a little hard for me, but it's very funny written and a pleasure to read this BEAUTIFUL story, I hope it comes close to the greatness of the Ghibli movie

08.09.2010, 02:23 PM Kemi is offline   Profile for Kemi Add Kemi to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

'Night and Day' by Robert Parker

08.09.2010, 11:29 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Registration Date: 04.06.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yay! Kiki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

@Kemi
Ooh, I loved the HMC book when I read it!

I am reading 'All we Know of Love' by Nora Raleigh Baskin. And so far, it's really really good. At first I thought it was going to be ordinary angsty-teen stupid stuff, but it wasn't. XD

08.11.2010, 01:51 AM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
Kemi
Totoro

Registration Date: 05.25.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kemi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

@ Yay, Kiki!: Yeah I like it so far Can't stop reading

08.11.2010, 02:54 PM Kemi is offline   Profile for Kemi Add Kemi to your buddy list
O-Jay88
Warawara

Registration Date: 11.29.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by O-Jay88 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Just finished "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy. I can see why it got the Pulitzer Prize, it was very thought-provoking and poignant, and totally worth reading. I liked how the language was so simple and how it's one continuous story, with no chapter division. I guess I gotta check out the movie soon, too.

08.11.2010, 04:23 PM O-Jay88 is offline   Profile for O-Jay88 Add O-Jay88 to your buddy list
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

If Cormac McCarthy has written a book with simple language he has certainly changed his style! I've read Blood Meridian and Suttree and both were fantastic novels, but I can't say the language struck me as simple.

"The neap mud along the shore lies ribbed and slick like the cavernous flitch of some beast hugely foundered and beyond the country rolls away to the south and the mountains. Where hunters and woodcutters once slept in their boots by the dying light of their thousand fires and went on, old teutonic forebears with eyes incandesced by the visionary light of a massive rapacity, wave on wave of the violent and the insane, their brains stoked with spoorless analogues of all that was, lean aryans with their abrogate semitic chapbook reenacting the dramas and parables therein and mindless and pale with a longing that nothing save dark's total restitution could appease."
- sample passage from Suttree

So is The Road easier reading, would you say?

Post last edited by Orphic Okapi on 08.11.2010, 05:04 PM.

08.11.2010, 04:49 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
[  «    1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks