QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - japanese box office
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Ghibli Discussions japanese box office Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Kodama

Registration Date: 04.05.05
japanese box officePost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by biker_brat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hello I know that I have already asked this question in a different forum, but I thought that I would start a new topic about it. Could anyone please tell me if there is a site for Japanese box office figures in english characters. I know that www.the-numbers.com works for some figures and so do www.imdb.com and www.nausicaa.net but does anyone know of a different one? www.pathea.com doesn't work either.

04.29.2005, 12:27 PM biker_brat is offline   Profile for biker_brat Add biker_brat to your buddy list
Jiji
Oldie newbie

Registration Date: 01.15.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Jiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hi Biker_brat! Welcome to the forums.

Pathea has been down for quite some time. Probably it is closed permanently.

I wonder what do you mean by having the boxoffice figures in "English characters"? If you meant what the word literally means, below are some figures quoted from another thread in this forum. If you meant the "English currency" or "English units," I am afraid it is pretty hard to find such information, due to the technical difficulties in discounting and calculating the price levels of a span of over 20 years.

quote:
Originally posted by Jiji
[list]The 80s figures (monetary values are in yen unless otherwise stated):
[*]Nausicaa (budget: 1 mil US$ / boxoffice: 742 mil / audience: 915k)
[*]Laputa (budget: ? / boxoffice: 583 mil / audience: 774k)
[*]Totoro+Hotaru (budget: ~20mil francs / boxoffice: 588 mil / audience: 802k)
[*]Kiki (budget: 800 mil / boxoffice: 2.17 bil / audience: 2.64mil)[/list]

quote:
Originally posted by nanashi
Only Yesterday(1991 Takahata) 3 billion yen/ 2.1million audience
Porco Rosso(1992 miyazaki) 4 billion yen/ 2.1million audience
Pompoco(1994 Takahata) 4 billion yen/ 3.1million audience
Mimi wo Sumaseba(1995 Kondou) 3 billion yen/ 2.0million audience
Mononoke(1997 Miyazaki) 19 billion yen/ 13.5million audience
Yamada-Kun(1999 Takahata) 1 billion yen/(unlisted)
Sen to Chihiro(2001 Miyazaki) 30 billion yen/23.5million audience
Neko(2002 Morita) 6 billion yen/(unlisted)
Howl(2004 Miyazaki) (Now Showing)/14.2 million audience and more

04.30.2005, 12:50 AM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
Neko Danshaku =^^=
Calcifer

Registration Date: 04.21.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Neko Danshaku =^^= Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm sorry if this might not help...

www.eiren.org

its Japanese Movie dedicated homepage... i used informations from this homepage in my paper... but i dont know if there have english page... maybe you should check it out.

05.13.2005, 11:55 AM Neko Danshaku =^^= is offline   Profile for Neko Danshaku =^^= Add Neko Danshaku =^^= to your buddy list
biker_brat
Kodama

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by biker_brat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thank you Jiji and Neko. The box office grosses of the 80's Ghibli movies were interesting and I didn't know that the budget's of all their movies (even in the 90's) is so low compared to American animated productions. Makes me wonder what the movies would be like if Ghibli had 100 million (US dollar) budgets. That website that you gave me, Neko, was interesting but didn't have what I'm looking for. It did have an english page though. If anyone else can think of a good website or knows of all the grosses of Ghibli's movies, please post them here.

05.17.2005, 07:15 PM biker_brat is offline   Profile for biker_brat Add biker_brat to your buddy list
Neko Danshaku =^^=
Calcifer

Registration Date: 04.21.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Neko Danshaku =^^= Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thanks... sorry for not being such a good help ^^;

anyway open my page.. maybe you can find something interesting..

www.geocities.jp/nekojimusho/

www.geocities.jp/nekojimusho/poster.htm

if you have comments too.. maybe you can see this homepage of mine...

www.geocities.jp/yanagi_kyoichi/poster.htm

I welcome your comments... thanks

Post last edited by Neko Danshaku =^^= on 05.18.2005, 02:21 AM.

05.18.2005, 02:19 AM Neko Danshaku =^^= is offline   Profile for Neko Danshaku =^^= Add Neko Danshaku =^^= to your buddy list
Jiji
Oldie newbie

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Jiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by biker_brat
Thank you Jiji and Neko. The box office grosses of the 80's Ghibli movies were interesting and I didn't know that the budget's of all their movies (even in the 90's) is so low compared to American animated productions. Makes me wonder what the movies would be like if Ghibli had 100 million (US dollar) budgets.

Oh sorry that I might have confused you (^_^;; ). The 90s data quoted from Nanashi's post in my previous message is just the boxoffice (but anyway they must be higher than the budget).

[list]The 90s and 21stC budget figures:
[*]Omohide: ?
[*]Porco: ~50 mil franc
[*]Poko: ?
[*]On Your Mark: ~100 mil
[*]Mimi: ~800 mil
[*]Mononoke: ~2.3 bil
[*]Yamada: 2.36 bil
[*]Sen: 1.9 bil
[*]Neko: ?
[*]Howl: ~20 mil euros[/list]

05.18.2005, 06:52 PM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
nanashi
Ohmu

Registration Date: 01.27.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by nanashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

budget is..
Omohide: 1.15 bil yen
Porco: 1 bil yen(include advertising.)

Suzuki Toshio says 800 million yen by this interview.
but, it was written 1.15 billion yen in RomanAlbum.
=Suzuki Toshio interview 2003.2.22 (JP)=
http://be.asahi.com/20030222/W11/0023.html

not exactly related.
when I was surfing, I found it.
=Princess Mononoke Director Interview=
http://www.rocksunner.com/miya_e.html
=Suzuki Toshio interview 2002?? (JP)=
http://wwwjp.kodak.com/JP/ja/motion/news...41/suzuki.shtml

05.20.2005, 12:22 PM nanashi is offline   Profile for nanashi Add nanashi to your buddy list
Jiji
Oldie newbie

quote:
Originally posted by nanashi
budget is..
Omohide: 1.15 bil yen
Porco: 1 bil yen(include advertising.)

Suzuki Toshio says 800 million yen by this interview.
but, it was written 1.15 billion yen in RomanAlbum.

not exactly related.
when I was surfing, I found it.
=Princess Mononoke Director Interview=

=Suzuki Toshio interview 2002?? (JP)=

Umm... Maybe what the two are talking about are not necessarily the same. Literally "budget" should mean "予算." In the interview Producer Suzuki used the word "製作費" (production cost) instead. I wonder what the exact Japanese word for the 800 mil "budget" is in the Omohide roman Album?

By the way Suzuki said the budget of Kiki was 400 mil, which is different from the value of 800 mil claimed by buta-connection.net. I have the Kiki roman album myself but I am still searching for the page that mentions the production cost or the budget. (^_^;; )

One interesting thing is that Suzuki described his relationship with Miyazaki as detective/officer (刑事) and criminal (犯罪者) in both interviews.

It is also funny to see Miyazaki's claims of retirement back in the Mononoke times. Well, his attempts of retirement are always doomed to fail.

05.20.2005, 01:57 PM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
biker_brat
Kodama

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by biker_brat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thanks again very much! But still I would like to find a website that has all the grosses. By the way, what was www.pathea.com? Was it a website specializing in all anime or just Ghibli or did it have to do with Japanese box office?

originally posted by Jiji:

"It is also funny to see Miyazaki's claims of retirement back in the Mononoke times. Well, his attempts of retirement are always doomed to fail."

Luckily for us . Also, not that it's very important or anything but I am an obsessed Ghibli fan that lives in small town Canada and there aren't many fans up (or possibly down ) here so I like going on these forums !

05.20.2005, 11:17 PM biker_brat is offline   Profile for biker_brat Add biker_brat to your buddy list
Jiji
Oldie newbie

quote:
Originally posted by biker_brat
Thanks again very much! But still I would like to find a website that has all the grosses. By the way, what was www.pathea.com? Was it a website specializing in all anime or just Ghibli or did it have to do with Japanese box office?

Pathea was a general site for animation (not just anime) which contained special sections for a few famous studios like Disney. Its Ghibli section had a lot of useful information and downloadables. A pity that it seems to be permanently closed down.

quote:
Luckily for us . Also, not that it's very important or anything but I am an obsessed Ghibli fan that lives in small town Canada and there aren't many fans up (or possibly down ) here so I like going on these forums !

Ghibli is very famous in my city but the problem is that people just see its works as kiddish cartoons.

Well, in the Western world, there are at least some hardcore anime fans that would defend and promote anime at all costs. But for here, even the young generation regards it as a shame and a sign of immaturity to get too deep into anime and manga. They do like to read and watch them for entertainment, but they would regard you as a moron if you try to get into in-depth discussions with them, or if you persuade them to view anime in subs instead of dubs. (<_< )

It is, therefore, very difficult to find a devoted (and at the same time logical) Ghibli fan here. So far I have met only two in the Net that I can chat with freely and intellectually.

05.21.2005, 06:32 AM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks