QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Shuna no Tabi (The Journey of Shuna) movie?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Ghibli Discussions Shuna no Tabi (The Journey of Shuna) movie? Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Umfrage: Shuna no Tabi--The Movie??
Yes
No
Results
Author
Warawara

Registration Date: 05.11.05
  Shuna no Tabi (The Journey of Shuna) movie?Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Konan Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

This is Miyzaki's greatest manga, apart from the Nausicaa manga, and his second or third greatest work in general. It was the prototype for Nausicaa and Princess Mononoke, about a prince of a dying tribe who sets out to find this golden grain for his starving people, riding an elk named Yakkuru (sounds familiar?)...well, I don't want to spoil too much for you. Here's a link to some more information: http://nausicaa.wanfear.com/Shuna/
So, do you think it should be made into a film? I think that, despite the general disappointment of Howl's Moving Castle in comparison with his earlier films, he still has the ability to make a great film even at his age. A Shuna no Tabi film would be soooo cool!

“Miyazaki is the greatest living animator… His frames are brilliantly, sunnily ‘lit’, with exhilarating shifting perspectives and cinematic movement, and a drawing style that is as detailed and dense as Brueghel.” — Philip Lopate, Film Comment
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Post last edited by Konan on 05.11.2005, 11:49 PM.

05.11.2005, 11:47 PM Konan is offline   Profile for Konan Add Konan to your buddy list
Jiji
Oldie newbie

Registration Date: 01.15.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Jiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hi Konan! Welcome to the forums.

I also like the manga of Shuna a lot. Though being quite short, it's up on a par with the Nausicaa manga. Of course it would be nice to see the masterpiece animated. But in my opinion the essence of the Miyazaki movies lies on their creativity, one of the things that attracted me to the Miyazaki works.

To me, it would be much better to see them to come up with new stuff every time: new ideas, new story, new characters... than to produce remakes, prequels, sequels, or pull off money by producing multiple films with an essentialy same plot (the infamous hobbies of the Mouse Factory)

From a more practical point of view, Miyazaki himself is far too reluctant to take part in any remake projects of his own mangas, after the hardships and difficulties he has gone through in the production of the Nausicaa anime. He once said in an interview:

quote:
Making a career from one work is pretty nice, don't you think? Or maybe not. It feels desolate, somehow. Saying that I feel like drawing another comic is one thing, but doing it is another thing entirely. There's the problem of eyesight, the problem of will power... There are all kinds of reasons why I don't want to do it. Or rather, it's not whether or not I WANT to do it, it's that I CAN'T do it. because I know that I've already done it, the sense of missing something by overdoing is stronger than the sense of fulfillment.

05.12.2005, 12:42 AM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
OYM Angel
Tanuki

Registration Date: 05.12.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by OYM Angel Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I hope that VIZ releases The Journey of Shuna... IN FULL COLOR! They just lose something in plain black-and-white.

05.21.2005, 03:49 PM OYM Angel is offline   Profile for OYM Angel Add OYM Angel to your buddy list
Jiji
Oldie newbie

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Jiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by OYM Angel
I hope that VIZ releases The Journey of Shuna... IN FULL COLOR! They just lose something in plain black-and-white.

Shuna must be in colour. Basically over 50% of its charm lies on its finely drawn watercolour illustrations. Grayscale colour would kill its vividness and details.

I seriously doubt if Viz would release a translation. Even within the small circle of the Miyazaki fandom, not everyone has an idea of the manga. Your best bet is get it improted. The original selling price is very cheap (448 yen). So the import price sould not cost you much. But believe me, or believe Miyazaki, this manga worths every single cent you pay, and is probably the best masterpiece you can ever get with that low price.

05.22.2005, 04:05 AM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
OYM Angel
Tanuki

Registration Date: 05.12.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by OYM Angel Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

But where do I BUY the manga? Any ideas? As long as it's not a shady dealer.

05.22.2005, 11:56 PM OYM Angel is offline   Profile for OYM Angel Add OYM Angel to your buddy list
Jiji
Oldie newbie

quote:
Originally posted by OYM Angel
But where do I BUY the manga? Any ideas? As long as it's not a shady dealer.

I bought it in a local Japanese import book store. Is there any around your town?

An alternate way is to buy it online through Amazon Japan.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/ASIN...9701232-6603526

05.23.2005, 04:31 AM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks