QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Shiki-Jitsu
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Ghibli Discussions Shiki-Jitsu Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Warawara

Registration Date: 05.11.05
  Shiki-JitsuPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Konan Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Has anyone here seen Hideaki Anno's live-action film Shiki-Jitsu? It was made under a live-action department of Studio Ghibli called Studio Kajino. Is it worth watching?

“Miyazaki is the greatest living animator… His frames are brilliantly, sunnily ‘lit’, with exhilarating shifting perspectives and cinematic movement, and a drawing style that is as detailed and dense as Brueghel.” — Philip Lopate, Film Comment
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

05.17.2005, 09:03 PM Konan is offline   Profile for Konan Add Konan to your buddy list
Jiji
Oldie newbie

Registration Date: 01.15.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Jiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Konan
Has anyone here seen Hideaki Anno's live-action film Shiki-Jitsu? It was made under a live-action department of Studio Ghibli called Studio Kajino. Is it worth watching?

I would also like to know if it is really that good, as I have not seen it myself.

My first knowledge about the movie was from the trailer in my R2 Neko (The Cats Return) disc. There are weird scenes that show some red liquid like blood, and then red umbrellas everywhere, and a girl seemingly going to jump off from a building. Frankly, I was freaked and just shut off my DVD player. I can never understand why they could put such a disturbing trailer in the disc of a family-friendly movie.

As far as I know, the movie was directed by Anno Hideaki (director of the Nausicaa Ohmu chase scene, and of Evangelion). Interesting that the girl in the movie wrote the story herself, and the male protagonist, who acted as a young director in the movie, was a young director himself in real life (who seemed to like a change).

The title, "Shiki-Jitsu (式日)," is an ancient Japanese word, meaning "the day of rituals." In the story, the girl cannot stop herself from performing weird rituals for preparing her "birthday of tomorrow." A guy, who is a director that have lost his creativity, becomes interested in the girl and uses a handycam to capture her rituals. Too artistic and symbolic for my cup of tea, but maybe that's also why the movie got an "Excellent Artistic Contribution Award" in the Tokyo International Movie Festival.

btw I am not sure if Studio Kajino comes under Ghibli as a department of the latter. The two are structually seperated, I suppose. But there are defintely connections between the two. The director of Ghiblies produced a CG musical video for a pop singer (group?) under the name of Studio Kajino. And of course, as you may already know, that the DVD of "Shiku-Jitsu" has a "Ghibli Cinema Library" logo on the cover.

http://www.ntv.co.jp/ghibli/info_y2/
http://shikijitsu.ube.ac/

05.18.2005, 06:37 PM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
FLCL
Kodama

Registration Date: 08.25.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FLCL Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I always toy with idea of buying it why I pass it in the shop (I loved evangelion).

However I've seen a few bits and it looks pretty depressing rubbish. Ill wait until it becomes a little cheaper.

08.25.2005, 01:08 PM FLCL is offline   Profile for FLCL Add FLCL to your buddy list
Goddess Nayru
Tanuki

Registration Date: 09.18.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Goddess Nayru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I haven't seen it either, but a friend of mine has. From her view, it is not a very good movie to see.

Evil Enough For You?

09.18.2005, 09:46 PM Goddess Nayru is offline   Profile for Goddess Nayru Add Goddess Nayru to your buddy list
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks