QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Love and Dreams in the Animation World of Miyazaki
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Ghibli Discussions Love and Dreams in the Animation World of Miyazaki Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  ]
E_Hakki
Ohmu

Registration Date: 12.29.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by E_Hakki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Oh I didn't spot this thread before, great work Jiji.

I think I'll second Gorgy's suggestion, I really love reading up on backgrounds. Goro's blog and his detached relationship with his father has fascinated me, but the writing style and focus of this account on Miyazaki's growth is even more interesting -particularly when considering the influence they have had on his movies.

http://rapidshare.com/files/119113404/My..._Comic.rar.html
Imouto He Scans -
http://rapidshare.com/files/120625788/Imouto_He.rar.html
Le Roi Et L'Oiseau English Subs -
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=J732GAHR
Original Mononoke Story in English -
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=K8A2YGU6

02.25.2006, 01:34 PM E_Hakki is offline   Profile for E_Hakki Add E_Hakki to your buddy list
Jiji
Oldie newbie

Registration Date: 01.15.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Jiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thank you very much for all your input. Maybe I should stick to this project first, and translate some Miyazaki-written stuff when I have more time available.

03.02.2006, 11:52 AM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
project2501
Tanuki

Registration Date: 07.16.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by project2501 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

hiya

Jiji, really good job. *cheer*

I won't leave the pc until I read it all ^^

Thank you for bringing Miyazaki's life closer to us.

btw. good english ^_-

03.02.2006, 12:43 PM project2501 is offline   Profile for project2501 Add project2501 to your buddy list Send an Email to project2501 Add project2501 to your contact list
Earthsea
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 03.03.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Earthsea Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Jiji, you are far to modest! Your English and Translation skills aree FANTASTIC!!!!!

Keep up the awesome work!

Bec

03.05.2006, 02:12 AM Earthsea is offline   Profile for Earthsea Add Earthsea to your buddy list
thundercat2
Tanuki

Registration Date: 07.22.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by thundercat2 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Jiji
quote:
Originally posted by Neko Danshaku =^^=
Interesting articles... I'd love to know the next...

Btw.. you're Chinese is very great... I wondering are you Taiwanese or Hongkong?

Thanks. I hope that you can give some suggestions for improvment on my English . I feel that it occasionally sounds clumsy. (=_= )

Hehe, FYI I am a HK-breed black cat born in Karikiya.

Mum's ill!

Young Miyazaki often helped to settle the disputes of his brothers. As Mother's health was not very good, he did not want to increase her burden. Being in a family with four naughty boys, besides countless dirty clothes that had to be washed, Mother had to prepare lots of food to fill up the little stomachs. She was very competent and clever, and often instructed Hayao and his brothers on their homework. It seemed like no problem could knock down this able mother!

Hayao respected his mother very much, and he tried his best to do his own things right. Although Mother was seemingly surrounded by an invisible haze of sombreness, making Hayao to be both frightened and respectful, he was still quite worried at his mother's health. He felt that Mother had been very busy everyday. He could easily hear her coughs.

"Mum, don't be so busy cleaning the floor! Take a rest. See! My newly drawn combat-fighter."

"Oh, how many planes have you drawn today?" Mother was looking at the paper handed to her by Hayao. But her hands were still not free, and continued to clean the Japanese-style floor with all her strength.

"Five... Umm no, seems to be seven!" Upon hearing Mother's question, Hayao showed his hands that were dyed in a palette of colours, and seriously counted the number of drawings.

"Eh... Hayao, seems like you draw only planes and warships. Why not draw people?"

"Oh mum you have discovered it! I have tried. But I still think that my planes are the prettiest.

"Uh... Wow, Hayao, your hands are so dirty. Cough... Get them washed now. And yes, Hayao will be a primary one student next year! Don't draw planes for the whole day. You have to start to learn words from your elder brother."

"Yes. I know." Hayao answered briskly.

Although Mother felt that Hayao had the talents of drawing, occasionally she put up a stern face to pester her son not to forget about his school works. As long as it was Mother who told Hayao to do something, no matter how dissatisfied he was, he always followed her commands obediently. It was because he knew very well about Mother's poor health condition, and could not afford to provoke her into anger.

"Cough... Hayao, Dad's back! Help me to prepare the table. Cough..."

"Okay, I'm coming." Hayao put his drawings into a drawer in an extremely careful manner like handling a piece of treasure. Whenever Mother coughed, Hayao's heart jumped, with a kind of sadness that was indescribable in words.

He thought he was going to be a primary one student. So he should learn to be a self-disciplined child that Mother needed not to worry about.

Later, because of prolong coughing; Mother's illness was becoming more and more serious. In 1947, she was diagnosed as having tuberculosis. Since then she had been lying on a sickbed for nine years. To Miyazaki, his mother's illness is the most unforgettable and profound part of his childhood memory.

For each time Hayao went to the hospital to visit Mother, he naively thought that she would return home very soon. However, at that time, tuberculosis was an infectious disease that was very difficult to be cured. The pale face of Mother, her intermittent coughs, the strange smell of medicines in the hospital... All of them repeated themselves continuously in Hayao’s childhood.

Sometimes, Hayao felt that Mother seemed to be very far away from him. Sometimes, she seemed to be right next to him. He really hoped that Mother could recover soon, so that she needed not to stay at the hospital for all times, and the whole family could live together happily.

Even though it was a truly sincere hope, for a total of nine years, Hayao’s hope was never realized. Mother could not return home, and leave Hayao with only an impression of her feeble smile on a sickbed. To Hayao, even a hug from Mother was an extravagant hope.

Unlike other children at his age, he could not enjoy the snacks made by his Mother when he returned home; He could not listen to his mother's lullaby at bedtime; He could not act like a spoiled brat on Mother's lap... Every now and then, Hayao thought about how good it would be if Mother was with him.

Now, we can see in "Totoro," little Hayao's hope for Mother's recovery, was really that strong and sincere.

Mei in "Totoro" learnt from Granny the good effect of corns on patients. Therefore she picked an ear of corn from the fields and decided to bring it to her mother. She valiantly went through the forests and the fields to go to the hospital. In an attempt to find her lost sister, Satsuki nervously ran around everywhere, making all of us to be as anxious as her. Fortunately, thanks to the help of Totoro, the whole family eventually reunited at the hospital.

...to be continued...

WOW! Your English is very good! You had me thinking that you where an American or English

It's a Baron + Haru site!

03.06.2006, 08:06 PM thundercat2 is offline   Profile for thundercat2 Add thundercat2 to your buddy list
Jiji
Oldie newbie

Registration Date: 01.15.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Jiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

03.06.2006, 10:33 PM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
[  «    1  2  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks