QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Speculation on the ending of Porco Rosso
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Speculation on the ending of Porco Rosso » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  ]
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I appreciate Porco Rosso's ambiguous ending. As a film that has very conventional fairy tale themes, a protagonist under a curse, love distanced by obstacles, a 'duel' over a lady, it is also wildly differing from the norm. Porco is hardly the traditional prince of the story, with his grouchy nature and unappealing features, and the other characters are equally unusual. I don't think Porco Rosso is a tale you can truly put in a box so equally I think it requires an ending which is as open to interpretation. Depending on what you infer from the hints given you can decide whether he ends up with Gina or not, whether there is that fairy tale ending.

I don't think an ending has to be clear cut to be satisfying at all - in fact some of my favourite films end with a slightly mysterious conclusion.

07.27.2011, 01:00 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
Heidi80
Ohmu

Registration Date: 02.03.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Heidi80 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Nausicaa_Cat
I don't think Porco Rosso is a tale you can truly put in a box so equally I think it requires an ending which is as open to interpretation. Depending on what you infer from the hints given you can decide whether he ends up with Gina or not, whether there is that fairy tale ending.

I don't think an ending has to be clear cut to be satisfying at all - in fact some of my favourite films end with a slightly mysterious conclusion.

I agree 100%. There are some hints that give a direction to the ending of Porco rosso, but it's up to the viewer how the hints are interpritated. Porco rosso is a very different kind of fairy tale, with characters that are neither good or bad, but something in between. The story, the characters and the open ending is what makes Porco rosso so magical.

07.28.2011, 08:32 AM Heidi80 is offline   Profile for Heidi80 Add Heidi80 to your buddy list
Takuto
Calcifer

Registration Date: 03.15.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Takuto Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I like that the characters aren't just decidedly "good" or "bad" but rather living breathing people, because in real life no one you meet is going to be 100% perfect all the time and no one but satan is pure evil.

08.02.2011, 12:03 AM Takuto is offline   Profile for Takuto Add Takuto to your buddy list
Heidi80
Ohmu

Registration Date: 02.03.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Heidi80 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

One thing just popped into my head. IF Miyazaki-sama decides to make the sequel to Porco rosso, do you think that Marco/Porco will be a man or a pig in it? Do you want him to be a man or a pig in it? I myself hope that he'd still be a pig.

Post last edited by Heidi80 on 08.04.2011, 06:29 AM.

08.04.2011, 06:27 AM Heidi80 is offline   Profile for Heidi80 Add Heidi80 to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm pretty sure he'd have to be a pig. It wouldn't be porco rosso if he wasn't.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

08.05.2011, 09:53 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I agree with Saddles on this. There might be little glimpses of Porco as a man, like in the original, but that would be it, I think...

08.05.2011, 09:58 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Wikidkid101
Totoro

Registration Date: 10.27.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Wikidkid101 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well I know that they are going to make a sequel if the films following Ponyo are a success, making a sequel called 'Porco Rosso The Last Sortie', it will be set in the Spanish Civil War and Porco will be returning as an old pilot!!!

Post last edited by Wikidkid101 on 10.27.2011, 07:02 PM.

10.27.2011, 06:58 PM Wikidkid101 is offline   Profile for Wikidkid101 Add Wikidkid101 to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

All I can hope for is that they are better than most sequels that I have seen...

10.28.2011, 10:10 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Calforsale
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I wonder if maybe he'd turn into a human in the end? Hmm maybe not. Sounds a bit cliche.

10.31.2011, 04:24 AM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
Wikidkid101
Totoro

Registration Date: 10.27.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Wikidkid101 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well something has to happen because the American pilot Curtis says 'Your face it's changed' or something along those lines. So it's written in that something has happened to Porco's face. Whether it be he has become human, or the kiss just healed his face from the cuts and bruises but he still remains a pig!!!!

Oh well just have to wait for the sequel!!!!

10.31.2011, 03:52 PM Wikidkid101 is offline   Profile for Wikidkid101 Add Wikidkid101 to your buddy list
JaPitt
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 11.05.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by JaPitt Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I love the open-ended, bittersweet ending of this movie. It shows there is always room for hope, and that time always provides a solution (even though it's not the one that you originally planned for...)

11.05.2011, 07:35 PM JaPitt is offline   Profile for JaPitt Add JaPitt to your buddy list
littleplant
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 11.14.16
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by littleplant Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Heidi80
quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
The ending also gives me hope that Porco returned to being a man as well, since I think Gina's love will heal his scars from the war.

Now that I think of it, doesn't Curtis after his and Marco's big fight say something like "your face". That also indicates that Marco turned into a man again. But as I said, I think the biggest point is that Marco got his Gina, whereas as a man or as a pig

Curtis does say "your face," so I think that indicates Marko has turned back into a human but the thing that bothers me about the whole "Gina and Marko" relationship is that Fio is the one who kissed Marco and turned him back. I don't like Fio and Marko together, but doesn't the kiss that breaks a spell have to be like "true loves kiss" or something? maybe they meant it in a friendly way ?

11.14.2016, 02:37 AM littleplant is offline   Profile for littleplant Add littleplant to your buddy list
makc
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.12.16
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by makc Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

maybe the change comes from his reaction to kiss, i e he could really break the spell as soon as he wanted to.

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so loving what - Stephen Fry.

11.14.2016, 04:18 AM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
st1nky_pete
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 07.21.18
i hope someone reads thisPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by st1nky_pete Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I believe when Fio says she never saw porco again at the end she means she never saw the pig, as right before he flies Mr. Curtiss notices his face had changed. That along with the red plane at Hotel Adriano makes me believe Gina and Marco were together finally, as he visited her in the garden, meaning she wouldn't be pictured in the end scene waiting, but rather with Marco. Truly a beautiful movie, and another great Ghibli ending. I think every ending he has is left ambiguous because the movie is about what you get from the story, not how satisfied you are that its over. These are just my thoughts, but the optimist in me believes it was a happy ending

07.21.2018, 04:33 AM st1nky_pete is offline   Profile for st1nky_pete Add st1nky_pete to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Welcome to the Tavern, stinky-pete, Welcome.

WE hope that you'll like it here. It is a bit slow for the present, but that is mainly because of the slowdown of Ghibli releases...

Again, Welcome.

I did read it, s-p, and I like and agree with your words...

Post last edited by husky51 on 07.21.2018, 04:53 AM.

07.21.2018, 04:52 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
rompglide
Calcifer

Registration Date: 11.07.17
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by rompglide Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by leonbloy
I loved that ending.

We all do. It's one of my favorites! I want to rewatch this film again.

07.26.2018, 11:05 AM rompglide is offline   Profile for rompglide Add rompglide to your buddy list
[  «    1  2  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks