QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Speculation on the ending of Porco Rosso
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Speculation on the ending of Porco Rosso » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2    »  ]
Takuto
Calcifer

Registration Date: 03.15.11
  Speculation on the ending of Porco RossoPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Takuto Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I heard way before watching the movie to prepare myself for a mildly dissatisfying ending, and with my first few watches, I left feeling somewhat empty by the ending, as much as I loved the movie as whole. I've gotten used to it and appreciate it far more now, especially because of various things I've gathered from IMDB. Like this:

Gina said to Curtis she waited in the garden every single day waiting for "him" to show up, "him" being Porco Rosso. In that last shot of the garden, with Fio narrating "As for how Gina's bet turned out...that's our secret", you'll see that Gina isn't in it anymore, which seems to imply she and Porco finally got to be together. Fio is too young and innocent to speak openly about their relationship, hence why she says it's a secret. Nothing will probably change Porco's cynical nature entirely, but he can improve as a person from his love of Gina.

So what do you think? Any other theories?

04.25.2011, 04:33 PM Takuto is offline   Profile for Takuto Add Takuto to your buddy list
hopexx5
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.17.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by hopexx5 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I found the ending rather upsetting, when i first saw it i ranted all night on how dissatisfying it was.

04.25.2011, 05:23 PM hopexx5 is offline   Profile for hopexx5 Add hopexx5 to your buddy list
Heidi80
Ohmu

Registration Date: 02.03.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Heidi80 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

well, if you look really closely at the end, when Fio is flying over Gina's place years later, you can definitly see a red plane parked in the water beside the garden. A plane so red that only a certain pig can be it's owner. So I think it's obvious that Gina and Marco got together. As for the question whether Marco turned into a human again or not, personally I think it doesn't matter. I found the end of Porco Rosso really beautiful and moving, it's not too sweet but it's definitly a happy end. And btw. I don't think Marco has a cynical view of the world. He's just a person who has seen too much bad things in world war 1. Hence he decides that he doesn't want to be human anymore and turns into a pig.

Post last edited by Heidi80 on 04.26.2011, 05:31 AM.

04.26.2011, 05:29 AM Heidi80 is offline   Profile for Heidi80 Add Heidi80 to your buddy list
leonbloy
Warawara

Registration Date: 10.26.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by leonbloy Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I loved that ending.

04.26.2011, 10:40 AM leonbloy is offline   Profile for leonbloy Add leonbloy to your buddy list Homepage of leonbloy
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yes, the ending of Porco was one of the strongest and most satisfying of all Ghiblis, far more so for example, than Spirited Away (where San and Haku are parted), or even Whisper (where we all know childhood love rarely lasts), but as Heidi says there are clues there, both in the plane and in Fio's narration - if it was not a happy ending, why does she keep it a secret? She keeps it a secret so as to preserve the privacy of the lovers finally brought together.

In addition, the fact that not everything is laid out for you explicitly at the end (as in, for example, Ocean Waves) makes it more alluring and thought-provoking so you can add your own details from your imagination.

The ending also gives me hope that Porco returned to being a man as well, since I think Gina's love will heal his scars from the war.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 04.27.2011, 05:32 AM.

04.27.2011, 05:31 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Heidi80
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Heidi80 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
The ending also gives me hope that Porco returned to being a man as well, since I think Gina's love will heal his scars from the war.

Now that I think of it, doesn't Curtis after his and Marco's big fight say something like "your face". That also indicates that Marco turned into a man again. But as I said, I think the biggest point is that Marco got his Gina, whereas as a man or as a pig

04.27.2011, 05:36 AM Heidi80 is offline   Profile for Heidi80 Add Heidi80 to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yes, the Curtis remark is a huge clue as well. How did I forget that?

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

04.27.2011, 05:47 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Rossdude
Calcifer

Registration Date: 02.13.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Rossdude Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I like to think that he chose to remain a pig. But that is just my wish. As far as the ending I am glad it was not overly sappy and leaves stuff to our imagination. Definitely love the part at the end where the plane tail hits his head. LOL!

But yes, even if it was intended that he turns back into a human when he gets with Gina... my deepest wish is that he remains a pig because he likes it it, even if he's with Gina.

04.27.2011, 11:47 AM Rossdude is offline   Profile for Rossdude Add Rossdude to your buddy list Homepage of Rossdude
Takuto
Calcifer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Takuto Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I noticed, in the end credits, there are a bunch of drawings and images that might concept art or something, and we see one of dozens of other seaplane pilots with pig-faces like Porco. What is this implying?

04.27.2011, 12:56 PM Takuto is offline   Profile for Takuto Add Takuto to your buddy list
Rossdude
Calcifer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Rossdude Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Takuto
I noticed, in the end credits, there are a bunch of drawings and images that might concept art or something, and we see one of dozens of other seaplane pilots with pig-faces like Porco. What is this implying?

That pilots are pigs!!

04.27.2011, 06:06 PM Rossdude is offline   Profile for Rossdude Add Rossdude to your buddy list Homepage of Rossdude
Takuto
Calcifer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Takuto Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Haha, oh yeah, I guess so. For some reason I seemed to assume only Marco had done that to himself, but I guess it makes sense. After all --- "All middle-aged men are pigs"!

04.27.2011, 09:00 PM Takuto is offline   Profile for Takuto Add Takuto to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

AHEM!

04.27.2011, 11:37 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Miyazaki said in an interview once, regarding the Porco-Pig image that many men in middle age become like pigs. This could be a reflection on male attitudes or rudeness or hygiene or some other personal take on how he feels men behave.

He's drawn more than one manga on this theme; there's an equally famous one about a WWII German tank crew who are all depicted as pigs as well.

Where Porco Rosso works is that Miyazaki takes this 'men are pigs' theme and asks "Why do they become this way? What causes it?" and weaves a story around that.

04.28.2011, 09:23 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Rossdude
Calcifer

Yeah middle age men must become like pigs cause they just stop caring about stuff. I"m not middle age yet, still got about 14 years left before I hit 40 (middle???), but even I am loosing my cares. Not like I am rude or nothing, but rather I am honest. For example, my teacher the other day for some reason asked for one of my old tests. In the past I would go through some mental stress to make it seem like I lost my test and didn't know what happened to it, and make it look like I showed effort trying to find it. This time though I just straight up told her, "I threw it away." No tricks or nothing, just the truth.

Maybe as we grow older we care less and less about glory, fame, fortune, adventure, and the thoughts of others.

Maybe all we want is the wind in our face.

Maybe in a sense that is pig headed?

04.28.2011, 09:37 AM Rossdude is offline   Profile for Rossdude Add Rossdude to your buddy list Homepage of Rossdude
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I think it was a particular comment directed at Japanese men and pertinent to that society where women are still very much 2nd class citizens whom many men exploit.

04.28.2011, 07:28 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Takuto
Calcifer

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
AHEM!

I wasn't saying that because I agree with it; I was saying it as a quote from the film. Sorry, I didn't intend to offend anyone!

04.29.2011, 03:58 PM Takuto is offline   Profile for Takuto Add Takuto to your buddy list
Calforsale
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well Hayao is a feminist isn't he?

I think i like the ending... it's a lot different and less complete and conclusive i guess compared to most of Hayao's other movies, but porco to me has a very different feel to his other movies.

04.30.2011, 06:11 AM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
Heidi80
Ohmu

I rewatched Porco Rosso yesterday and I noticed something that I haven't noticed before (even though I've seen it a gazillion times). During Fio's voiceover at the end, she says that she never saw Porco Rosso again. But she also says that she often visits Gina and it's clear that Gina and Porco/Marco is now a couple (the red plain parked on the far end of the island, where Gina's secret garden is). So that almost has to mean that Marco turned into a human again.

07.11.2011, 06:10 AM Heidi80 is offline   Profile for Heidi80 Add Heidi80 to your buddy list
dancer42
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 07.26.11
  p[orco rossoPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by dancer42 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

porko rosso sees him self as a pig but in moments when he is being nobel fio and curtis see him as he was gina loves the the man and does not care what he looks like many men come back from war scared and named gina knows this and does not care be cause she sends curtis at him like a guided missile
when she gets tired of waiting so porko rosso gits it and he and gina are together and that fio never sees him agin means he got it pretty quick because fio sees gina alot and there is that red plan at the end love the movie loved the ending i guess some of us old soldiers should listen a littel closer to what you gails are saying

07.26.2011, 09:56 PM dancer42 is offline   Profile for dancer42 Add dancer42 to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I understand what you mean, dancer..

BTW, Welcome to the Tavern. Here's hoping that your stay will be a long one. Posting is a bit slow around here right now, but don't let that discourage you. This too shall pass, the slowness I mean... lol

Again, Welcome...

07.27.2011, 01:44 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
[  1  2    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks