QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Club
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Anime in General Anime Club Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  4  5  6  ...    »  ]
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I watched the first episode. Has anyone else watched it yet?

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

05.10.2011, 03:22 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I have!

My Anime List

Post last edited by Kazegami on 05.10.2011, 03:23 PM.

05.10.2011, 03:23 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Nope, sorry. I've been revising for an exam that's on tomorrow morning, and when I wasn't doing that... I forgot. I can watch it some time tomorrow.

05.10.2011, 03:34 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Alright, as soon as a small number have seen it, we'll start talking about it.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

05.10.2011, 04:41 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've watched it now!

05.11.2011, 10:14 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Okay, you get to go first!

05.11.2011, 12:17 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Alright then.

Well, I enjoyed the first episode. It was extremely weird, and it's obviously made in such a way that you're not meant to quite understand it yet, but it was definitely intriguing. It helped that it wasn't treating it in a deadly serious manner as is sometimes the case with weird sci-fi series like this, and was pretty lighthearted and entertaining. The main characters are endearingly nuts and I think it'll be fun to see what they end up doing, and what ends up happening to them.

I do fear that it might turn all serious when the plot kicks in properly, but I'm hopeful that it'll maintain the surreal humour of the first episode.

05.11.2011, 05:51 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yep, extremely weird it was. Pretty confusing. Lecture never happened, dead girl isn't dead. I'm kind of at a loss as to what did happen. Can't say I've taken an immediate liking to Okarin, maybe from not knowing whether or not the guy's actually sane. I'll like it better when we've got a clearer picture of just what's going on, I think.

My Anime List

05.11.2011, 06:45 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I *think* I enjoyed it... though I am not sure. The setting is contemporary in some large un-named city that if I was a local I could probably identify from the street scenes, so it's probably Tokyo. I was going to do an episoide summary but in the end I got lazy and stole Wikipedia's one:

quote:
Self-proclaimed mad scientist, Rintarō Okabe, goes to a seminar on time travel with his friend, Mayuri Shiina. While there, he meets a girl named Kurisu Makise who explicitly states that he had met her 15 minutes ago, despite having never met her before. Later on, Rintarō hears a scream and discovers Kurisu had been stabbed. As he sends a text to another one of his research buddies, Hashida Itaru, Rintarō experiences a strange experience and finds the street he is on has suddenly become deserted and a strange satellite had crashed into the building he was just in. Later on, while fiddling about with their strange remote-controlled microwave, which turns bananas into a gel-like substance, Hashida tells Rintarō that the seminar he supposedly attended was cancelled, much to his surprise. Rintarō later discovers that the text he sent to Hashida had been sent to a week ago, just before encountering Kurisu, who is alive and well.

At first I liked the main character of Rintarō Okabe and he rather reminded me of Tuilio from Disney's "Eldorado" here on the left...

So for a while I was watching in a strangely disconnected way.

Some weird stuff was happening that clearly involved time travel and I'm sure we saw the "crashed satellite" (as it was reported on TV) very briefly on the roof when Rintarō went to open the roof top door just before he heard the blood-curdling screams that led to him discovering the freshly murdered body of the red-haired girl whose name I missed but the Wiki tells me is Kurisu Makise.

There was also a woman in a grey jump-suit by the "satellite" as well and coming so soon after the lecture scene I though that was the time machine but it was never referred to again in that episode. My money's on it being a time machine though.

After a while however, given that Rintarō is clearly knowledgable about these things, his confusion and uncertaintly about what was going on I found rather annoying and frustrating. Maybe that is an emotion the series creators want to draw out from the viewer but for me it seemed silly that he reacted in that way with so much crazy uncertainly when, given what we learn about him early in the episode (he knows a fair bit about time travel theory), he's so confused by the events he finds himself in.

I was a bit reluctant to accept the obviously moe-like girl in the group, Mayuri, as I can't help but fear she may end up as a reason for some fan service or just Moe-service (if you like). I have developed a dislike for Moe-characters recently but then that's my problem. The third member of this unlikely team, the hacker/geek Hashida Itaru for me is a blatant steal of characters like Kohta Hirano from High School of the Dead and Dr Kōsaku Tokita from Paprika - the "obese nerd turned cool" type character. He was very likeable however and the most down to earth of the three (which I think is a reversal of roles in itself).

Maybe the series takes stereotypes and flips them about to keep us guessing or maybe it just takes stereotypes and stereotypes them even more... we'll have to see.

The artwork was very good with lots of washed out colours to give a dreamlike feel to the story and to imply a hot hazy summer.

I'm keen to see where the story goes though I have reservations about the characters at the moment.

05.12.2011, 08:15 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I've watched ep2 now and it suddenly got a lot better.

Anyone else going to jump in with comments?

05.13.2011, 05:45 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Oh, I'll watch the second episode tomorrow in that case~

My Anime List

05.13.2011, 06:10 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Anyone else going to watch this and join in?

05.17.2011, 02:46 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

I was sorta hoping that somebody would start, so I haven't watched the second episode yet.

05.17.2011, 05:56 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Sorry, been super busy! I'll try and watch tonight and say something.

edit: I'm sorry, I fail. Something came up. You're probably best off not waiting on my account.

Post last edited by fenkashi on 05.18.2011, 02:23 AM.

05.17.2011, 11:24 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Now I've watched episode 2 as well. I didn't see it as a great improvement as I liked it already, but it was good. I'm impressed with how many insane characters they can introduce per episode. In general the characters are giving a good first impression, though it's too early to have any strong opinion about them.

The style was much like the first episode, with fairly light-hearted weirdness, but giving some good hints about the plot. The references to people forgetting about things and the time-travelling banana were intriguing, and I'm definitely interested to see where this leads.

05.21.2011, 07:47 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I agree. The microwave-teleporting-timetravelling-cellular modifying banana was really intriguing.

I noticed that after the microwave finished 'cooking' it, it was back on the plate with the others but also connected to the bunch once more, so an element of time travel was involed too, so all in all whatever those guys did to modify that microwave was pretty interesting!

The cross dressing miko/kendo boy was... well... yet another anime icon I guess. Cross dressing sure seems a popular theme in anime and manga, but Rintarō's reaction to him was interesting; implying he might be attracted to him.

Kurisu Makise is filling the regular 'tsundere' slot now, so all the stereotypes are coming together. Even though they are stereotypes they are all appealing in their way and I felt that this episode took a good step forwards in establishing the characters and some plot which the first episode lacked.

Onwards and upwards!

05.22.2011, 06:39 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

I wouldn't necessarily say they're all stereotypes. Okarin is unusual in being a self proclaimed mad scientist, while still being the series protagonist. And I think Kurisu (who I think I've seen referred to as Christina elsewhere...) is going to be a deeper character too.

Anyway, what will we do now? Keep watching, just between the three of us? Or hope that somebody else will join in?

05.22.2011, 06:46 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I'll keep watching because I'm enjoying the show... but if no-one else joins I guess it's just us three

05.22.2011, 11:00 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Watched ep.3. Its getting very good. Recommend this to everyone. More comments later.

05.23.2011, 06:43 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

I watched the third episode earlier! I enjoyed it. I like that the plot seems to be matching the bonkers characters.

05.24.2011, 04:17 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
[  «    1  2  3  4  5  6  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks