QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Club
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Anime in General Anime Club Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  4  5  6  7    »  ]
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Sorry, life delayed reaction.

Saw the first two episodes. It kinda reminds me a lot of FLCL, where there's a lot of weird hilarious stuff going on, but with a deeper plot just underneath the surface.

I guess we can take this parallel to Schrodinger's cat? If something is within a closed space with no way of external observation, how do we know if anything has changed at all? That's the kind of feeling I get from the first episode, and the second is like a situation where the subject within the enclosed space itself is trying to determine what changes are happening to itself and the surroundings.

And yeah, the teleporting banana was just whacko. Totally unexpected. Then again, with a theme like tiime travel, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a weird shift in the storyline in the future again? Sounds like a possibility.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

05.27.2011, 11:51 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

We don't seem to be posting much... I was waiting for others to. I have watched 7 episodes now and it is turning into something really good. The time travel stuff has just started (using the phone microwave (name to be decided)) and its getting weirder and weirder.

We haven't come across the connection to the events of episode one yet though.

Also the characters are growing on me very much, especially the overweight computer geek Daru.

I'd recommend this series, its enjoyable though a little demanding to watch both in terms of unravelling the plot and accepting the sometimes frustrating characters.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

06.08.2011, 05:20 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

My long post got thrown through a Kerr black hole due to Steins Gate effect

Anyway, to summarize, I believe the story will get much darker in the future, owing to the SERN reports and the breakups of th D-mail which suggest that the remaining essence of the humans may reappear, in a much worse state.

Personally though, I' more interested in two particular girls' behaviour, and how they are related to the story. Namely, the part-timer and Shining Fingers (lol, weird name, seriously). I get the feeling that the part-timer is somehow involved in the initial murder of Makise.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

06.08.2011, 10:47 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ooh, good theory. I agree with it because I am certain that its the part-timer we briefly see on the rooftop beside the "crashed satellite" when Rinkaru opens the roof door in episode 1. I recall a glimpse of a woman in a grey coverall and that looks a lot like the clothes the part-timer wears.

I have a theory that John Titor and Shining Fingers are the same person...

In ep.7 there was a news report that it had been six days since the satellite crashed and still no-one had claimed it was theirs which seems pretty unlikely given that most governments know exactly where every satellite is.

So I don't think its a satellite but possibly a time machine and I think the mention of the six days could be important as the D-Mails have been going back 5 or 6 days in time.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

06.08.2011, 06:48 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Yeah, my first impression was that it was the time machine. But it seems too awfully convenient.

At best, I think the "satellite" is a capsule containing critical object to be discovered later.

I think the key to the whole mystery is with Okabe himself. He is, after all, the only one to remember both timelines. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he himself was John Titor, which is the theory I'm leaning on right now.

EDIT: Watched until ep9. So... yeah, this show is starting to turn from funny to interesting to pure horror. What's amazing is that I never even realized/remembered the inherent problem with the core of the show (time travel), so the shock of the ending of ep9 is even greater for me.

Seriously, you can no longer call this comedy. It's sci-fi horror at its best.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

06.09.2011, 09:55 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

For once, I've not had a lot of time for watching anime lately. Also, as nobody else was posting, I didn't know how much you two had watched. I'll try and catch up.

06.10.2011, 04:00 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hi? Could somebody tell me how far I should watch? I'm actually interested in keeping this going, but if people aren't watching the same episodes it's obviously not going to work.

06.18.2011, 06:42 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I've watched as far as ep.7... its worth watching.

I stopped at 7 because no-one else was posting and at that point the plot thickens considerably. It gets semi-dark and quite creepy, mainly because all these comedic light characters are suddenly in a very serious situation. Definitely getting much better.

Would be happy to discuss if others are watching it.

06.18.2011, 08:36 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Okay, I've watched up to 7 now! It's certainly very interesting right now. I don't have any particular theories about it yet, but I have heard what I think is a spoiler about the part-timer. I won't say anything though.

06.19.2011, 04:33 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

The part-timer definitely knows whats going on, or knows the red-haired girl somehow. Sorry, I find it hard to recall all their names. Is it Kurisu?

Gah. I had to go to the Wiki and get all their names:

Rintarō Okabe - Mad scientist, age 18. Refers to himself under the alias of Kyōma Hōōin. Mayuri and Daru call him 'Okarin'.
Kurisu Makise - the red-haired girl, age 18.
Mayuri Shiina - childhood friend of Okabe. Aged 16.
Itaru "Daru" Hashida - computer whiz, hacker, geek and "gentleman pervert". Aged 19.
Moeka Kiryū - searching for the IBN 5100 PC she is the crushingly shy one who talks by text. Aged 20.
Ruka Urushibar - the cross-dressing shrine maiden. Aged 16.
Suzuha Amane - the part-timer, age 18.

I have watched episode 8 now and its spiralling more and more in an out of control way. Okarin is being ridiculously irresponsible (the d-mail that potentially affected Moeka's relationship with them all and especially trying to change Ruka's gender from birth was... gah... annoying! Crazy behaviour). Its going to end in tears and if he carries on like this I can see all kinds of problems that were not there until he created them. I keep thinking back to Kurisu being stabbed in the opening episode and can see how Okarin's irresponsible behaviour could bring things like that about.

06.19.2011, 06:16 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Well, to be fair to him, it's true that there isn't any scientific proof that anything can control a baby's gender. And because he never knew that Moeka's new phone would indirectly affect her route that day, he would never know that they would have never met.

But it's true that beyond the lottery ticket (in fact, even that), everything else was barely ever thought through. Well, aside from the pager thing, which was brilliant.

Well I won't spoil anything else for you guys, but I have to say that the IBN5000 is starting to grab my attention more and more. Not so much about what it does, rather who caused the donation and how its ability was ever known.

In other news, a brief search discovers that the John Titor story is, in fact, real. Weird stuff. Which would suggest that the computer in question is just there for John Titor plot's sake, not the storyline itself.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

06.23.2011, 10:48 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
arren18
Administrator

Oh, I knew the John Titor thing was about an actual story. Also, the IBN 5100 is in fact the IBM 5100: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_5100 Note under "See also" it links to the John Titor page. And obviously CERN and the Large Hadron Collider are real things.

Anyway I've watched episode 8. I think you're being too hard on Okarin; Moeka's d-mail seemed pretty safe, and they went along with Rukako's because it was obvious he felt so strongly about it - not to mention curiosity about whether something like that could even work. In fact I think the last one showed more consideration than normal on Okarin's part, thinking more about the desires of his friends than his usual conspiracy theories and general madness.

One thing I noticed briefly though, was that when he did successfully contact Moeka again, her response seemed very unlike her. She was busy with something else, her tone was unusually friendly and she even signed off with a heart, which I would not expect from her. I wonder whether the timeline change caused something to happen that affected her personality...

06.23.2011, 12:26 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
arren18
Administrator

I watched up to 12 because I wanted to be able to read stuff about it without hitting spoilers. It uh... it goes places. Catch up if you haven't yet.

I'm just annoyed we have to wait for the next episode now!!

Post last edited by arren18 on 06.25.2011, 07:28 PM.

06.25.2011, 07:25 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I'm as far as 11.

It does go plaaces yet there seems to be some repetition of ideas in eps 8-11, like "uh-oh. meddling with the past is BAD. BAD stuff happens". But basically this is all that occurs for about 3 eps so I got a tensy bit frustrated with that.

End of ep11 had a new development with the 42" plasma TV in the shop downstairs...

06.26.2011, 01:28 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

@Arren: Lol, that's why I usually wait for a series to end before catching it.

And yeah, the TV part makes no sense. Like, literally.

I can understand how the phone got its powers since he was using it when a time shift occured (or something). But the TV has no connection to the original incident nor to the time machine, and even if there was some sort of connection, multiple TVs would have been affected.

Anyway, I just started on the original Chaos:Head to see what it's like.

First of all: too many girls. I don't even see a proper sci-fi storyline forming, looks more like an occult show. Of course, I'm only on ep3, so I can be wrong. Either way, it's not a very alluring first episode, nor a second or third. Hopefully it gets better, because Steins;Gate is fast overtaking the original series by a mile.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

06.27.2011, 11:34 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
arren18
Administrator

From what I've read, Chaos;Head does sound quite different, and a lot more haremy - not that Steins;Gate doesn't have quite a selection of girls itself. Anyway, it doesn't sound particularly appealing.

06.27.2011, 11:53 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I downloaded the first couple of eps of Chaos:Head but haven't been inclined to watch it yet. Keep us posted Roar - sounds like it may not be worth watching.

I think ep13 must be out now so I'll find time to push on and watch 12 and 13.

06.28.2011, 07:03 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Well, I'm at ep7 now.

Premise of the story goes that there are a select few people with the ability to see "errors", or delusions made real by other people. The protagonist, Takumi, has an more potent ability: he has the ability to make his delusions manifest without external tools (others needed a Di-sword to manifest their imaginations, and even then, very restricted).

As for the evil society, their objective as of ep7 isn't clear yet, but apparently they have managed to create a machine to artificially recreate such manifestations. Probably to take over the world or something through controlling people's minds, but that's not the point.

The series is a little confusing, as you can never tell whether you're looking at reality or delusions. While it may be part of the storyline, it does get weird sometimes, in a bad sense IMO. And it doesn't help that the protagonist is a VERY unlikeable character.

So in contrast to its sequel, this series deals more towards supernatural powers and delusions than mad science, so I may be biased in this regard. Still you have to give it credit for being somewhat watchable.

But if you have to compare it to Steins Gate, it's a world of a difference. That much I can say with confidence.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

06.29.2011, 11:18 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
arren18
Administrator

Episode 13 is really good! The way it's going at the moment with Okarin and Mayuri and time travel reminds me of another anime I saw recently. I don't want to say what it was because it would be a spoiler for that series, but I think Roar knows what I'm talking about.

Anyway I expect he'll change tack pretty quickly, as it's only halfway through the series. He'll think of something else he can do, or something new will be revealed.

06.29.2011, 08:19 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
arren18
Administrator

I just watched episode 14. As I expected, things have changed and new details have been revealed. The revelation at the end of the episode didn't come as a surprise to me, though the specifics weren't exactly as I'd thought.

07.05.2011, 06:12 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
[  «    1  2  3  4  5  6  7    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks