QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Hello and help!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Tavern General Discussions Hello and help! Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2  3  4    »  ]
LillyKimilly
Tanuki

Registration Date: 06.02.05
Hello and help!Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by LillyKimilly Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hello lovely people!! Im a newbie so hello
*waves frantically*
I know there has been alot of agro about that big Ghibli collection set with 14 movies on it but ive seen one on ebay and i wondered if you guys could tell me if its proper? (preferably in 5 days as thats wen the sale ends ;-p )
This does seem 2 good to be true for me as im in england and ghibli seems none existant appart from spirited away and princess mononoke.
Thank you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
teehee 4got the link! eek!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V...440187&rd=1

(paste that into ur browser thing)

Love you!

Post last edited by LillyKimilly on 06.03.2005, 05:19 PM.

06.03.2005, 05:16 PM LillyKimilly is offline   Profile for LillyKimilly Add LillyKimilly to your buddy list
Jiji
Oldie newbie

Registration Date: 01.15.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Jiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

**waves back** Oh welcome (^v^) ! We don't eat newbies... **carefully approaches and devours** ... or don't we?

The cover art of the one in the ebay link is interesting. Isn't it the logo of the Ghibli museum ? But I am afraid t is not a legit version , as Ghibli has announced in their homepage that there is no official Region 0 release.

The only official DVD set released to date is the HK R3 one, containing everything in the ebay set except Grave, Ocean Waves and On Your Mark.

http://global.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.asp...-c/version-all/

I always thought that there had been UK releases of some Ghibli films, like Kiki and Laputa. Maybe you can contact the staff of some video stores to see if there are still some left in the inventories, or request the staff to order them for you. Anyway wish you good luck with your quest for Ghibli DVDs .

06.03.2005, 06:24 PM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
LillyKimilly
Tanuki

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by LillyKimilly Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

GRRR!!! Damned pirate copy people!!!
Ive looked more on ebay and theres loads of them!! some with '20' Miyazaki movies. Has he even done 20?? There are english ones like kiki but they are quite expensive (or the ones i fund are). And i fear that i might not like all of them so dont wanna dish out loads of money to get them if i dont like them. Have they done a region 2 box set or not??
Oh well the search goes on.
thanks
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

06.04.2005, 03:45 AM LillyKimilly is offline   Profile for LillyKimilly Add LillyKimilly to your buddy list
Neko Danshaku =^^=
Calcifer

Registration Date: 04.21.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Neko Danshaku =^^= Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hello Lilly... nice to meet you... btw are you the cat Jiji's been crushed about?

------------------------------------------------------------------------
some with '20' Miyazaki movies. Has he even done 20?? (LillyKimilly)
Maybe it's packed with pre-ghibli's and many non-miyazaki's ghibli's movies...

There are english ones like kiki but they are quite expensive (or the ones i fund are). And i fear that i might not like all of them so dont wanna dish out loads of money to get them if i dont like them. Have they done a region 2 box set or not?? (LillyKimilly)
Then why don't you try the cheaper pirated one? just for try-out...
btw... Japan DVD region is the same with Europe... so why don't you get a Japanese version... and buy a multiHz television... so there's no prob w/ NTSC/PAL...

Post last edited by Neko Danshaku =^^= on 06.04.2005, 03:36 PM.

06.04.2005, 02:29 PM Neko Danshaku =^^= is offline   Profile for Neko Danshaku =^^= Add Neko Danshaku =^^= to your buddy list
LillyKimilly
Tanuki

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by LillyKimilly Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

the cat Jiji's been crushed about?

Teehee im not made of money hunni!! the reason i tried to get that set was because it would be cheaper. I cant go buying new televisions or dvd players, tho it is tempting!! :-)

Thanks for pointing out that japan is the same region as me! woop!

Pirating is nasty....*eyes grave of the fireflies with longing* I have a thing where if I love a movie company like Ghibli or an actor etc I have to have the origional so I am not cheating anyone out of good earned money....... and the covers and dvds are so pretty!!!
I stare at princess mononoke cover all day.........

thank you!!!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

06.04.2005, 05:26 PM LillyKimilly is offline   Profile for LillyKimilly Add LillyKimilly to your buddy list
Jiji
Oldie newbie

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Jiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yea both Japanese and European DVDs are of Region 2.

The 20-DVDs so-called "Miyazaki sets" usually include pre-Ghibli films with Miyazaki/Takahata involvment and other non-Miyazaki Ghibli works to make up the number. To date, there are only 9 feature movies with Miyazaki as the director.

There is only one legit DVD box set: the R3 IVL one I mentioned before. If you like nothing but Japanese products, there is still an official Japanese set (Ghibli ga Ippai) that you may consider. But the problem is that it is only a LD set with movies up to Whisper. Worse still, the release of the set has stopped long, long ago. Even a 2nd-hand (or 3rd-hand, 4th-hand...) one costs you a great fortune.

I would not recommend dishing your cash out to the bootleggers just for the sake of "trying-out." To me the best alternate solution is to rent a copy from to the video rental stores. But anyway Kiki and Laputa are pretty "safe" in the sense that I have yet to see one who has watched them and does not like them. So go ahead and get the offcial copies if you come across any.

Oh btw for anyone who is interested, my destined one does not speak human language.

06.05.2005, 06:33 AM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
nanashi
Ohmu

Registration Date: 01.27.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by nanashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

hello! Mr.NiceGuy. after a long time.
and nice to meet u LillyKimilly.

quote:
Originally posted by Jiji
Yea both Japanese and European DVDs are of Region 2.
but Japanese DVD are NTSC. and European DVD are PAL.
your DVD Player be able to play NTSC?

06.05.2005, 08:50 AM nanashi is offline   Profile for nanashi Add nanashi to your buddy list
LillyKimilly
Tanuki

Erm...no idea......i'll get my dad to check it out. Damn England and its lack of GOOD stuff!!
Eg: Ghibli, Francesca Lia Block (cool writer) nice weather!!! All none existant!!!

Teehee. I think my best bet is to wait till after my exams (they are soo hard!!!) and then spend all my hard earned money, which my parents will give me for good grades, hopefully, on cheap japanease dvds seeing as many of them have english subtitles *phew wipes brow*.
Thanks alot.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

By the way all of your english is really good!!!!!!! When some of you mentioned you were from other places i was shocked!!!

Post last edited by LillyKimilly on 06.05.2005, 09:24 AM.

06.05.2005, 08:52 AM LillyKimilly is offline   Profile for LillyKimilly Add LillyKimilly to your buddy list
Jiji
Oldie newbie

Yea both Nanashi and Neko Danshaku has a good point that you have to check the video standard of your player to see whether it is NTSC or PAL. But nowadays many players support both. I have two and both are all-code and all-standard.

Eww actually my spoken English stinks. My tongue cannot help but to twist itself up whenever I have to talk in English... Well, if only I could live in England... England also has snow in winter, hasn't it? We don't have any for all year round, and your country does not sound so bad to me.

06.06.2005, 07:42 PM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
LillyKimilly
Tanuki

No we don't have snow in winter. the last time we had proper snow, where i live anyway was about 5 years ago. I do appreciate living here, I do. It just gets annoying when things which are amazing are not accessable to us. But places like America have lots of stuff and at cheaper prices, tho i naver buy clothes from there unless i know its fair trade and the like.

No my dvd player doesnt do NTSC!!! Damn it!! Oh well.

Writing is way harder than speaking. I dunno wat other languages are like but there are different word orders and so on which makes writing very hard!!

Ok im gonna stop complaining now! Teehee!

Love you all.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

06.07.2005, 11:20 AM LillyKimilly is offline   Profile for LillyKimilly Add LillyKimilly to your buddy list
Neko Danshaku =^^=
Calcifer

Registration Date: 04.21.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Neko Danshaku =^^= Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hello Ms. Lilly who is always full of love ^o^

No my dvd player doesnt do NTSC!!! Damn it!! Oh well. (LillyKimilly)
Order a DVD Player from China PRC... It can play NTSC/PAL disc input to PAL TVs!! The device power input is usually 200-240volts... the problem is the power jack is have a chance to differ with europe... but I think you can find it in HK which is former commonwealth to your country ^^ or fix it in an electronic shop..

about the region... well.. i've heard that PRC's DVD can adjust DVD region automatically.... so there's no prob w/ any DVD region... I wonder if it's true... ^^;

Writing is way harder than speaking. I dunno wat other languages are like but there are different word orders and so on which makes writing very hard!! (LillyKimilly)
I think writing casually don't hard to do...

Btw... I live in a country which is never have a snowfalls all year round or extremely.... it's always summer here!!!
*shocked* I never knew that there's a place in england where snow don't falls.... rare..

Oh Jiji... HK don't have snow falls?

Post last edited by Neko Danshaku =^^= on 06.08.2005, 12:24 PM.

06.08.2005, 12:17 PM Neko Danshaku =^^= is offline   Profile for Neko Danshaku =^^= Add Neko Danshaku =^^= to your buddy list
LillyKimilly
Tanuki

I think it might be a steriotypical (sp?) view of England that we have snow. We are just very cold! not as cold as other places. We do get snow dont get me wrong but not every year and if we do its normally for about 1/2 an hour and then it stops, doesnt settle or anything.

I dunno anything about technical stuff ^o^. teehee.
But I wish they would get the region stuff out as it is a way of making more money by having regions. Then everyone can have whatever they want and not have to go to great lengths like buying pirate copies or multi regional dvd players to get them....tho ive seen a lean and mean multi regional dvd player for £20....thts about....$36 I think....

Writing in any language tht is not your first is very hard!!! Or maybe im just not too comitted to learning properly...i dunno....but sure writing casual isnt too hard....
I want to learn chinese manderin and japanese in particular then other languages like that.....

All my love....as always ^o^
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Post last edited by LillyKimilly on 06.08.2005, 04:36 PM.

06.08.2005, 04:29 PM LillyKimilly is offline   Profile for LillyKimilly Add LillyKimilly to your buddy list
Jiji
Oldie newbie

Hehe is Lily the angel of love?

In HK region code and video standards are close to non-exsistence. The majority of the DVD players sold in the stores are all-code, all-standard, with support of VCD, CD-R/W, DVD+-R/RW, MP3... New models even have DIVX (hey, good news for bittorent fanatics) ! Basically, no one here with the right mind would buy a single region player, and the stores must respond the demand trend with the correct source of supply.

I have two players, one of Toshiba and one of JVC. The former is of a higher quality and I use it to play the Ghibli discs, and the latter is used for the local DVDs .

Neko Danshaku is very true about the DVD players of PRC. Actually their DVDs are of such a low quality that the players must be highly compatible. Some time ago there was a promotional campaign of the PRC players in a department store. The salesmen used cutters and coins to scratch off a part of the data layer of a DVD. While most of the Japanese players cannot play the disc, or show tonnes of errors, the PRC one could correct the errors and play it properly.

No no, actually the movie companies are enjoying a higher profit with region code then without. Because of the differences in price levels, DVDs all around the world have different prices. Say, in PRC, a legit DVD can be as cheap as US$1, but in Japan, it can be as high as US$100. When the price gap is too great, people would naturally turn to the cheaper imported goods, and the movie companies would have a reduced profit. If the DVD player companies followed strictly to the regional code standard, the Japanese players would't be able to play the cheap PRC discs, and the consumers would then be forced to buy the expensive Japanese ones. Essentially what is happening now is the DVD player producers are sacrificing the interest of the movie companies for extra profit by releasing all-code players.

FYI, our local voltage is also 220 volts. But converters (220>110 or 110>220) are also highly accessible. I have tonnes of hi-fi equipment and console players from Japan that runs at 110 volts but they still work fine with the help of the converters.

As for the snow part, we are much worse and we only have once every 100-200 years, and that only lasts for a few minutes . It would be a wish-come-true to many local children in HK if we could have a half-hour snowfall every few years.

Talking about learning a foreign language, I still feel that speaking is the most difficult part. As an English-learner, I can easily improve my reading and writing skills through textbooks, reading materials, newspaper, and other stuff, but I can seldom find a native-speaker to talk to me now and then. And when I do meet one, most oftenly, I am too shy to open my mouth .

06.08.2005, 07:39 PM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
LillyKimilly
Tanuki

Angel of love? ^o^ cute. teehee

Thats wat i meant, they get more money with the regions than without. The region thing makes them more money. Oh well.....

We got a one region DVD player cos it was cheaper at the time. But now multi region ones are rather cheap 2 now. We shall see.....

Writing is very difficault! When speaking with someone you can flap your hands or point at things to get what you want... writing you obviously cant do that......im being tested on german writing tomorrow....ahhhhhh!!!!!!

love and hugs

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

06.09.2005, 11:53 AM LillyKimilly is offline   Profile for LillyKimilly Add LillyKimilly to your buddy list
nanashi
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by nanashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

in eBay, doubtful DVD is seen. if i didnt know the real thing, i seems to be cheated.

ich offnete mein worterbuch nach einer langen zeit.
wenn ich meine anzeige post, ich sorge mich, ob meine idee zu jeder gut ubermittelt.

when i post my message, i worry whether to convey my idea to everyone well.

06.09.2005, 08:33 PM nanashi is offline   Profile for nanashi Add nanashi to your buddy list
LillyKimilly
Tanuki

teehee! I understand!
People say that English is hard because we steal our words from other languages and so on..... dunno if its true tho.......
I find manderin hard as you have to do the right tone or something....im learning japanese!! im doing vowels of one of the alphabets....my frioends teaching me see.......

You convey your ideas well!!!

Sometimes i find it mean that its beneficial to people 2 learn english... i mean come on ones enough without our mad language being taught...but then no one would understand us....not that anyone does anyway as we are mad......

love and hugs and kisses

06.10.2005, 12:24 PM LillyKimilly is offline   Profile for LillyKimilly Add LillyKimilly to your buddy list
Jiji
Oldie newbie

Oh sorry Lily I missed your point in the region code stuff. (^_^;; ).

I think it is true for almost everyone that speaking the mother-tongue is easier than writing. After all, we were taught the pronunciation of words first (Papa, Mama ). We did not learn the actual structure of words and the grammatical stuff until later years.

In fact, the reason that young preschool children at a certain age can speak correctly is not because of the awareness of grammatical rules. It has been said that languages to young children are not ways of understanding. Rather, they are systems of responses. And they learn such ways of responses from imitating the adults and from the positive reinforcements from their parents. Put it in another way, they learn languages in the way (or very similar to the way) the dogs or parrots do. Moreover, when they are growing up, there are lots and lots of chances of practice. So normally they have no difficulty in speaking.

Researches reveal that young children around the world all start to learn their mother-tongue at the same time. And the time they need to reach an acceptable level of proficiency is the same. This may show that no language is particularly difficult.

For those who learn a second language, they usually start with the fundamental characters, then the simple words. However they treat the language as a means of understanding. They learn the grammar, sentence structure, and everything at the same time. They cannot speak by use of unconscious responses, but by lots of thinking.

Say, when an English learner tries to speak to a British, he has to flip through the "in-brain dictionary" to find the correct expression. Maybe he even has to translate the greeting expression of his mother-tongue into English. All these processes do take time.

But for the British, the same words come out of his mouth every time he sees someone he has not seen before (auto response). Therefore he can promptly greet the English learner correctly.

So the next time you meet a foreigner trying hard to speak in English, please be considerate and forgive him for talking nervously (can't find the right word) and slowwwwwwly. (^_^;; )

btw the parts of the brain responsible for Mandarin is different from that of English. You do need lots of training to get them to work as well as your English parts. And if you fear the tone stuff, dare not to poke Cantonese with a 10-foot pole. Mandarin only has 4 tones, but Cantonese has as many as 9 (pwns!).

06.10.2005, 06:06 PM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
LillyKimilly
Tanuki

wow 9!!!!!

I think we were much cleverer wen we were younger. We did loads of learning, such as to talk, walk, eat properly etc, in a very short amount of time.

I like meeting people from other countries, I never mind thier stumbling or getting thier words swapped around or whater. Tho it takes us some time to work out what they are trying to say and to then correct them teehee.

I don't have to learn german anymore!! woop!!! in our school it is compulsery 2 learn german. I think I might have liked it more if we were given a choice of language, like japanese or chinese etc. Oh well.....silly schools...

love you all

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

06.11.2005, 04:23 AM LillyKimilly is offline   Profile for LillyKimilly Add LillyKimilly to your buddy list
nanashi
Ohmu

gutenmorgen (..tag? ..Nacht?)

if you has learned Japanese, you can enjoy Ghibli's movie with original language.
wenn sie Deutsches erlernt haben, konnen sie ...was?... Perry Rhodan reihe?

ich liebe dich...

Post last edited by nanashi on 06.11.2005, 05:40 AM.

06.11.2005, 05:40 AM nanashi is offline   Profile for nanashi Add nanashi to your buddy list
LillyKimilly
Tanuki

aaww ich liebe dich...zwei ;-p
teehee.
That is my aim 2 b able 2 understand the movies without subtitles. So far ive learned phrases from the film but i think it would be abit weird if i ran up 2 a japanese person and began jibbering random ghibli quotes....maybe abit funny........but odd. teehee im determined to do that now...lol..

'hello, i'll do anything to keep humans out of my forest! *runs and leaps on german shepherd dog which i painted white*'
teehee.......i'll have to get a german shepherd dog............

alle meine liebe (?)

06.12.2005, 02:26 PM LillyKimilly is offline   Profile for LillyKimilly Add LillyKimilly to your buddy list
[  1  2  3  4    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks