QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Have you seen a Ghibli film at the Cinema?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Ghibli Discussions Have you seen a Ghibli film at the Cinema? Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2  3    »  ]
Calforsale
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
Have you seen a Ghibli film at the Cinema?Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm wondering how many of you have seen some Ghiblies at the cinema, and if you thought it was more enjoyable to watch there?

I haven't, but i'm waiting for Arriety to come here (not too long to wait now).

11.04.2011, 06:24 AM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
Heidi80
Ohmu

Registration Date: 02.03.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Heidi80 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've seen all of Miyazaki's films except Laputa at the cinema. I've also seen Pom Poko, My neighbours the yamadas, Whisper of the heart, The cat returns and Tales from earthsea at the cinema. I actually find it more enjoyable to watch them at least once at the cinema, because it's a whole different enviroment and the reaction of the audience can change the viewing. One example that comes to mind is My neighbour Totoro. I watched the finnish dub and there were loads of kids in the audience. At first I was really angry, because I thought that the kids couldn't be quiet and would ruin the movie for me. But when the movie started, the room was totally silent, which is really unusual for kid's movies. When the scene came where Mei chases chibi totoro the kids and I started giggling at the same time. The kids enjoying the magic of Totoro kind of made it possible for me to enjoy it like a child too. I also think that some ghiblies, like Princess mononoke, just need that big screen so that you can enjoy them fully.

11.04.2011, 06:48 AM Heidi80 is offline   Profile for Heidi80 Add Heidi80 to your buddy list
Calforsale
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

That sounds really cool! So is that finish dubs with Japanese audio?

11.04.2011, 06:55 AM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
Heidi80
Ohmu

Registration Date: 02.03.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Heidi80 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

no with Totoro it was just dubbed to finnish. Here in Finland, they usually show both the dubbed and the subbed versions. I usually prefer the subbed, but the dubbed are made ok here as well.

11.04.2011, 06:59 AM Heidi80 is offline   Profile for Heidi80 Add Heidi80 to your buddy list
Unregistered User

Registration Date:
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've never seen a Ghibli in the cinema, and I am very sad because of it. I'm hoping and praying that Arrietty will be shown in the States both subbed and dubbed, so I can watch it subbed.

As for Ponyo, I had a chance to see that one, but I was too busy see it, and where I live, it stayed in the theatre for a VERY short time. Before I knew it, it was gone. Then came the long and painful wait for the DVD release....lol

11.04.2011, 10:24 AM  
hopexx5
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.17.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by hopexx5 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I haven't seen any ghiblis in the cinema, i tend to wait for films to come out since the cinema tends to cost allot.

11.04.2011, 01:00 PM hopexx5 is offline   Profile for hopexx5 Add hopexx5 to your buddy list
Calforsale
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I hope that i'll be able to see Arriety at the cinema. We had Ponyo here in dubs and subs but i didn't have anyone to go with. I think though this time i'll go by myself if i have to, it will be worth it.

@Hope, i agree. In my short life alone i have seen such a big difference in prices!

11.05.2011, 05:17 AM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
JaPitt
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 11.05.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by JaPitt Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Three - Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away (can't believe that it was almost 10 years ago...); and Howl's Moving Castle

At the time, they were available as English dub only - would have loved to see the subtitled versions, though

11.05.2011, 07:29 PM JaPitt is offline   Profile for JaPitt Add JaPitt to your buddy list
anthonymiller
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 11.17.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by anthonymiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I never had the pleasure of watching ghibli movie in cinema but I have heard many people giving positive attitude on this, they say its a different and unique experience.

11.17.2011, 03:31 AM anthonymiller is offline   Profile for anthonymiller Add anthonymiller to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I got to see Ponyo in the theater as well as at home and, for me at least, each was a different experience, but I enjoyed it more at home where I could sit back and relax with it...

11.17.2011, 09:26 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
seasprite
Ohmu

Registration Date: 03.22.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by seasprite Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Never been so lucky.............

11.17.2011, 09:06 PM seasprite is offline   Profile for seasprite Add seasprite to your buddy list
Mush
Baron

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I saw Spirited Away at the cinema. It was beautiful on the big screen, although it was the English dub. Still definitely a worthwhile experience.

11.18.2011, 03:56 AM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've rarely had the chance to see them in the cinema, but even so, I've managed to see Earthsea, Laputa and Arrietty, all with subtitles.

11.18.2011, 06:29 AM arren18 is online   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Until recently, never. However, I was able to see the international premiere of "Kokurikozaka kara" (From Up On Poppy Hill) recently at the Toronto Film Festival. It is quite an experience, and fortunately I have been hearing rumours that a company has gotten a license to do theatrical showings of past Ghibli films at select cities during the next year.

11.18.2011, 06:58 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
Mush
Baron

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Whoa... lucky! I knew there was a reason that people live in Toronto. I hope they select my city!

11.18.2011, 09:44 PM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by seasprite
Never been so lucky.............

OMG, SEASPRITE! How the hell are you?... long time no see... Welcome back and let us know what you've been up too (as long as it's legal ) lol

11.18.2011, 11:03 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Theowne
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Mushka
Whoa... lucky! I knew there was a reason that people live in Toronto. I hope they select my city!

Another reason

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/20...e-at-ifc-center

Looks like Toronto is guaranteed for this one as well. GKids is doing a great service here.

11.20.2011, 03:27 AM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
husky51
The Old Guy

I'm gonna have to check out the Los Angeles showings and see if I can make it happen...

11.20.2011, 09:35 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Unregistered User

Registration Date:
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'll be attending a university in Boston. Hopefully I can watch all of them in the cinema! Does anyone know where I can find the schedule for the showings? I don't want to accidentally miss them!

11.20.2011, 12:05 PM  
Theowne
Baron

On an additional note:

quote:
If you are a theater interested in bringing *The Studio Ghibli Collection: 1984-2002* to your area, please contact dave@gkids.com.

So it may be a long shot if you're not in a major city, but it looks like they're flexible to some level.

11.20.2011, 12:46 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
[  1  2  3    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks