QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - How close is the japanese audio to the english?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » How close is the japanese audio to the english? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2    »  ]
Calforsale
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  How close is the japanese audio to the english?Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I watched Laputa in japanese today and there were so many bits which were different to the english one. But i have seen a few in japanese but not so many differences as in Laputa! Whats up with that!

03.08.2011, 01:41 AM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
Unregistered User

Registration Date:
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

From my understanding, the English versions of Laputa and Kiki's Delivery Service have many more differences and added lines than future Ghibli films. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what it seems like to me.

Your best bet is to avoid the English versions of those two movies. The English versions of the other ones are actually quite good.

03.08.2011, 11:57 AM  
Calforsale
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by zacharykrodel
From my understanding, the English versions of Laputa and Kiki's Delivery Service have many more differences and added lines than future Ghibli films. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what it seems like to me.

Your best bet is to avoid the English versions of those two movies. The English versions of the other ones are actually quite good.

Yeah that sounds right. What i have been doing latley is watch a movie in english, then japanese the next time i watch it. But the japanese versions are pretty cool that i have been watching them a lot. I havn't watched laputa at all for ages tho.

03.09.2011, 04:55 AM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
dballred
Ohmu

Registration Date: 04.24.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by dballred Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The early Streamline version of Laputa is pretty true to the original dialog. Unfortunately, the voice acting was not very good.

Here are the more serious discrepancies in some of the other movies:

Whisper of the Heart. The dialog between Seiji and Shizuku toward the end was a travesty. It totally watered down much of the magic of the story. I thought the flat-out proposal of marriage in the Japanese version put this film over the top in my mind.

Spirited Away. This was an almost criminal re-translation. I've never seen a film that actually changed the theme when it was dubbed in another language. Instead of it being a thought-provoking and optimistic statement about youth, the Disney version decided to make it one of a million other movies with the "coming of age" theme.

Porco Rosso (the Streamline version). The English dub dumbed down the movie for kids.

Kiki: There were huge disconnects between the English dialog and the Japanese. The subtitles are actually dubtitles, so it's easy to spot the differences. The English and Japanese versions of the discussion between Kiki and the Herring Pie lady bore little resemblance.

03.11.2011, 11:24 PM dballred is offline   Profile for dballred Add dballred to your buddy list Send an Email to dballred Homepage of dballred
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

As I've only seen one Ghibli dub, I can't answer this very well, but it's worth bearing in mind that it will ALWAYS be different in an English dub, whether or not they intend to change things. Certain cultural references will have to be passed over for it to make sense and dialogue will have to be adjusted to fit English grammar and the mouth movements in the film. And this applies to dubbing in any language, of course.

03.12.2011, 06:44 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Calforsale
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I watched Porco Roso in Japanese half an hour ago. I think this was my first time watching it in jap, cos i like the subs. But hmm there were quite a lot of differences!

03.06.2012, 03:00 AM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  dubbed ones are betterPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Now i do not know japanese.So the subtitles that is shown below how in the world you know that they are word by word translated.So subs are not better.So how the people in the world will watch the movie.Or are you suggesting everyone should learn japanese.That is foolish .Now different culture dubs causes a little change and that is sometimes necessary.Example: in my neighbor totoro and in only yesterdays they show inside of a bathroom or bathhouse.It is absolutely impossible for sensor boards of my country to approve that naked part no matter how small the girls are.Now imagine totoro without the naked part[but with the storm] so what is the difference that is not very much it still is as enjoyable. This is one of the reason that miyazaki did not gave any naked part in spirited away because when he made it he knew it is going to be shown in other countries too.Now the movies we are complaining about here are older so we were not able to listen to better dubs then and instead we watched the sub ones. So that expression of first watching is kept in our mind.But if we saw the movies dubbed first then we would say those were better.[except Nausicaa of the valley of the wind, the first dub was a disaster]

So watching subbed and dubbed movies is quite bit stupid discussion [i understood this when i started similar threads in different forams]

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 03.06.2012, 09:46 AM.

03.06.2012, 05:13 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Calforsale
Totoro

quote:
Originally posted by saviour2012
Now i do not know japanese.So the subtitles that is shown below how in the world you know that they are word by word translated.So subs are not better.So how the people in the world will watch the movie.Or are you suggesting everyone should learn japanese.That is foolish .Now different culture dubs causes a little change and that is sometimes necessary.Example: in my neighbor totoro and in only yesterdays they show inside of a bathroom or house.It is absolutely impossible for sensor boards to approve that naked part no matter how small the girls are.Now imagine totoro without the naked part[but with the storm] so what is the difference that is not very much it still is as enjoyable. This is one of the reason that miyazaki did not gave any naked part in spirited away because when he made it he knew it is going to be shown in other countries too.Now the movies we are complaining about here are older so we were not able to listen to better dubs then and instead we watched the sub ones. So that expression of first watching is kept in our mind.But if we saw the movies dubbed first then we would say those were better.[except Nausicaa of the valley of the wind, the first dub was a disaster]

So watching subbed and dubbed movies is quite bit stupid discussion [i understood this when i started similar threads in different forams]

I think that was pretty harsh. I don't think its very nice to call someones topic stupid, i can't say i have thought everything you have said on this tavern is great but its not like i went ahead and wrote that. Please learn to be more respectful.

03.06.2012, 05:52 AM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

I am very sorry if i hurt your fellingsPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I actually did not mean that the topic is stupid. I said the arguing is stupid .Now watch below the forum posts you will see my post "how do you love your studio ghibli movies "

i posted the same thread in 15 forums and even ran a poll on facebook
the result were not that good. at this topic people start to argue and blame voice artists,studios ,directors. I do not like that because blaming does not solve a problem [it is also one of the reasons why Princees Mononoke did very bad in theater release in america] that is why i said that.

do not take it seriously.

sincerely
saviour2012

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 03.06.2012, 09:36 AM.

03.06.2012, 09:32 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think people need to remember that not everybody converses in the Queen's English as well as others.

And on that point, saviour's point actually stands. Not everyone knows japanese, and not everyone who do, or watches anime, prefers subs.

For example, the Cardcaptor Sakura dub was regarded by many fans to be b**tardized beyond all reason, and for hardcore fans, it's probably true. The episode sequences were rearranged, half the romance in the show was removed, and even the character's names were attacked.

However, from my point of view, it was an EXCELLENT dub.

Half the romance HAD to be removed because it dealt with lesbian, gay AND pedophilic love. I didn't find the renaming a problem, and the voice acting was pretty solid IMO.

Dubs are done in order to target the non-otaku group. You will never find a seven-year-old watching Pokemon in Japanese and enjoying it.

Returning to ghibli movies, people need to realize that the licence to screen the movies outside Japan, particularly the US, is to attract as wide an audience as possible for max income, as is the purpose of a business (they need to eat, too). Spirited Away was precisely that bridge, and if they has screened the movie in subs instead of dubs, I can assure you that the movie would not have had as much success as it had gotten.

So in that sense, I have to say I agree with saviour more than calforsale.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

03.06.2012, 11:27 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Since English does not appear to be saviours first language, I seemed to understand that his use of the term 'stupid' might actually have been meant to be something like 'inane' or somethng similar and that was the way I read it...

03.06.2012, 12:20 PM husky51 is online   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Wikidkid101
Totoro

Registration Date: 10.27.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Wikidkid101 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
As I've only seen one Ghibli dub, I can't answer this very well, but it's worth bearing in mind that it will ALWAYS be different in an English dub, whether or not they intend to change things. Certain cultural references will have to be passed over for it to make sense and dialogue will have to be adjusted to fit English grammar and the mouth movements in the film. And this applies to dubbing in any language, of course.

I agree the way the Japanese language conveys emotions and the way their voices change in different situations are far more different to that of the English language, the English language when spoken tends to use different tones to convey emotion. It either goes up or down, we also bounce onto words differently for the want of a better word.

I watched a behind the microphone thing once for Porco and Nausicca and they were saying how they have to change the words so they English Dubbing fits with the movement of the original Japanese dialogue. As well we have to consider Human error and their ability to lip sink when doing the dubbing!

03.06.2012, 05:00 PM Wikidkid101 is offline   Profile for Wikidkid101 Add Wikidkid101 to your buddy list
jina445
Kodama

Registration Date: 02.05.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by jina445 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
I actually did not mean that the topic is stupid. I said the arguing is stupid .Now watch below the forum posts you will see my post "how do you love your studio ghibli movies "

i posted the same thread in 15 forums and even ran a poll on facebook
the result were not that good. at this topic people start to argue and blame voice artists,studios ,directors. I do not like that because blaming does not solve a problem [it is also one of the reasons why Princees Mononoke did very bad in theater release in america] that is why i said that.

do not take it seriously.

relax saviour,
arguing is part of conversation...it's not that bad to argue.
And if people feel like blaming voice artists and studios then maybe sometimes they are right you know...

Also, that you posted the same topic doesn't mean you shouldn't respect the fact that another member posted it, you should read and reply as we did at your topic.

03.07.2012, 03:42 AM jina445 is offline   Profile for jina445 Add jina445 to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

To jinaPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Both English and Japanese are not my native language.

i am very very very very grateful to dubs. And i am a very strong promoter of dubbing

Now spirited away have been in the number 2 of imdb list of animation. Now tell me how many of you have voted .I assume may be 5000-6000 anime lovers may have voted. But do you know most of the votes were given by non-anime lovers. If they did not voted [that could happen if it was subbed]

Then i would never seen spirited away and never ever be acquainted with studio ghibli .[it is not my fault because there is a very small amount of people in the world who would search for a movie of a different language without knowing if it is good]

Now constructive criticism is good but blaming is not[do you know that the director that made the dub of Princess Mononoke was very strongly criticized[though it was very good] for that reason he left anime dubbing and never made a animation dub ever[still does live action dubs and is considered as one of the best dub director of the world]

to jina
nobody wants to make something that is bad. Now if that is bad it will naturally diminish but there is no point of shouting at that.one is wise enough to understand that his work were bad he need to better himself .But there is no point of cutting his head for that.That is what i learned when i saw princess mononoke .Ashitaka could easily kill lady eboshi but rather he gave her a chance so that she could turn good and she did turn into a good person later[which is not always true in real world but why we should give up] Now if you hold a different belief then that is yours. I will not post anymore reply in this thread.

Husky and roarkiller thank you guys for backing me up.

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 03.07.2012, 03:55 PM.

03.07.2012, 10:44 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
jina445
Kodama

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by jina445 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Both English and Japanese are not my native language.

me neither

quote:

Now spirited away have been in the number 2 of imdb list of animation. Now tell me how many of you have voted .I assume may be 5000-6000 anime lovers may have voted. But do you know most of the votes were given by non-anime lovers. If they did not voted [that could happen if it was subbed]

I really don't understand what you're trying to say here..? Spirited Away was voted no2 in imdb and...if you please explain again...

quote:

Now constructive criticism is good but blaming is not[do you know that the director that made the dub of Princess Mononoke was very strongly criticized[though it was very good] for that reason he left anime dubbing and never made a animation dub ever[still does live action dubs and is considered as one of the best dub director of the world]

i didn't know about that...in which language did this director dub the movie? why was he critisized so much?

03.07.2012, 11:27 AM jina445 is offline   Profile for jina445 Add jina445 to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by jina445
quote:
posted by saviour 2012

Now spirited away have been in the number 2 of imdb list of animation. Now tell me how many of you have voted .I assume may be 5000-6000 anime lovers may have voted. But do you know most of the votes were given by non-anime lovers. If they did not voted [that could happen if it was subbed] it would not be in ranking no. 2

I really don't understand what you're trying to say here..? Spirited Away was voted no2 in imdb and...if you please explain again...

I think you know what imdb is .There are actually 2million+ registered user of imdb and more than 100million people use it

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/imdb.com#

Most of the registered users are movie goers and they rate and vote for the movie they love. Imdb makes a list of those movies and divides it into genres .The more vote one movie gets the more it steps up in the list[only the regular registered user's votes are counted] Now this list do not practically causes any effect on the on going movies[in theater] but it has a very strong impact on dvd or blu-ray buyers.They search lists and reviews for good movies[tell me how many movies one can watch in theaters.Most of the movies have to be seen in home] as imdb is no. 1 in its area[number 2 is not nearly close enough] so top ranked movies are actually very good. So they watch or buy those movies that is ranked higher [same thing happened for me too]. That is what i meant.

quote:
Originally posted by jina445

quote:
posted by saviour2012

why was he critisized so much?

If i tell those. everyone here who sees this post will start to look for those errors.Just do a little bit research.If you still do not find any success then pm me.

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 03.07.2012, 04:02 PM.

03.07.2012, 03:31 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

To err is human, to forgive divine.

I'd also like to request for said information, or at least where it can be found.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

03.08.2012, 12:57 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
jina445
Kodama

Saviour2012,

I know what imdb is, and i'm with you that we need to vote for the movies we love, for obvious reasons. I also want my favorite movies to get more votes...what i couldn't understand is what you were saying about non-anime lovers....

don't get me wrong, I love your enthusiasm, I have nothing against you.

about Mononoke's dubbing you mean in english?

03.08.2012, 03:16 AM jina445 is offline   Profile for jina445 Add jina445 to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
To err is human, to forgive divine.

I'd also like to request for said information, or at least where it can be found.

i am not going to write it here

give me any email address i will send the links

to Jina

Most of the movie-goers do not watch anime[most of the people think they are not very good(as they contain violence,sexual theme etc) it is their opinion not mine] So the the people voted for spirited away are not the people who watch anime.So they prefer dubbed movies and if spirited away was released subbed then those people would not have seen the movie and therefore the people would not talk about it and it would not get a Oscar and it would not be in the ranking 2. Hope you have understood now.

03.08.2012, 04:44 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
jina445
Kodama

quote:

to Jina

Most of the movie-goers do not watch anime[most of the people think they are not very good(as they contain violence,sexual theme etc) it is their opinion not mine] So the the people voted for spirited away are not the people who watch anime.So they prefer dubbed movies and if spirited away was released subbed then those people would not have seen the movie and therefore the people would not talk about it and it would not get a Oscar and it would not be in the ranking 2. Hope you have understood now.

So you say that if it wasn't for the dubbed version, those people wouldn't have voted?

Anyway, thanks for your reply

03.08.2012, 07:41 AM jina445 is offline   Profile for jina445 Add jina445 to your buddy list
[  1  2    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks