QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - For fans of My Neighbor Totoro
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » For fans of My Neighbor Totoro » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2  3    »  ]
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  For fans of My Neighbor TotoroPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

This is not strictly Ghibli-related, but I feel it is worth mentioning.

I recently viewed a film directed by a former assistant director at Studio Ghibli, Sunao Katabuchi. The film is called "Mai Mai Shinko to Sennen no Mahou" (Mai Mai Shinko and the Thousand Year - Magic). They gave it the English title "Mai Mai Miracle".

This film has an immense amount of Ghibli-esque charm and in my opinion, comes quite close to My Neighbor Totoro in terms of evoking the nostalgic feelings of childhood. There are some obvious influences, and it is definitely worth seeing. It captures what I often praise Totoro for - the portrayal of both the imagination of children but also their fragility towards subjects like death or loss.

So, take a look, if you're interested. It does not seem to have gotten the attention it deserves in the English-speaking community compared to the works of other "upcoming" directors (for whom "the next Miyazaki" seems to be thrown around in every review " ).

EDIT : Tea Master Tall was kind enough to post the trailer, which I'll copy here. Watch it all the way through

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS-l73ZJtpg

Post last edited by Theowne on 01.02.2012, 11:55 PM.

01.01.2012, 03:50 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thanks for the tip, Theowne.

I found a copy and ordered it after reading the info on the plot, etc...

I'll let you all know what I think of the movie after I get to see it...

01.01.2012, 08:36 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
captain george
Ohmu

Registration Date: 11.09.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by captain george Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

ill have to check that out, thankin you very much

01.01.2012, 09:07 PM captain george is offline   Profile for captain george Add captain george to your buddy list Send an Email to captain george
Unregistered User

Registration Date:
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I will definitely be checking this out. Thanks for sharing.

01.02.2012, 05:59 PM  
leonbloy
Warawara

Registration Date: 10.26.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by leonbloy Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'll give it a look, thanks.

01.02.2012, 07:07 PM leonbloy is offline   Profile for leonbloy Add leonbloy to your buddy list Homepage of leonbloy
Psychedelic.Ink
Kodama

Registration Date: 01.02.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Psychedelic.Ink Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Awesome! I'll have to check it out sometime. Gracias!

01.02.2012, 07:51 PM Psychedelic.Ink is offline   Profile for Psychedelic.Ink Add Psychedelic.Ink to your buddy list
Tea Master Tall
Totoro

Registration Date: 04.01.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Tea Master Tall Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

This looks pretty cool! Here's a trailer if anyone's interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS-l73ZJtpg

Check out my music:

01.02.2012, 11:09 PM Tea Master Tall is offline   Profile for Tea Master Tall Add Tea Master Tall to your buddy list Send an Email to Tea Master Tall
Theowne
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thanks for posting the trailer, Tall, not sure how I could forget that. I dare any Ghibli fan to watch the entire trailer and tell me you're not at least *slightly* interested

Glad to hear some affirmative responses. This film seems to get very little press online, and I'm trying to remedy that, because it's a very genuine and worthwhile effort by the director.

Post last edited by Theowne on 01.03.2012, 12:14 AM.

01.02.2012, 11:54 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
Tea Master Tall
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Tea Master Tall Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Looks better than what Goro's done so far, lol.

Oh, also at 1:02 in the trailer: Where could this be from???

Check out my music:

Post last edited by Tea Master Tall on 01.05.2012, 01:06 AM.

01.05.2012, 01:03 AM Tea Master Tall is offline   Profile for Tea Master Tall Add Tea Master Tall to your buddy list Send an Email to Tea Master Tall
Theowne
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

If you mean the music, it is part of the film's original musical score.

01.05.2012, 09:26 AM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
Wikidkid101
Totoro

Registration Date: 10.27.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Wikidkid101 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It looks really good I will try and get a copy so I can watch it!!!

Thanks for making me aware that it was about!!

01.05.2012, 03:46 PM Wikidkid101 is offline   Profile for Wikidkid101 Add Wikidkid101 to your buddy list
Tea Master Tall
Totoro

Isn't it obvious? Goldfish... Jar... Ponyo...????

Check out my music:

01.05.2012, 09:22 PM Tea Master Tall is offline   Profile for Tea Master Tall Add Tea Master Tall to your buddy list Send an Email to Tea Master Tall
Theowne
Baron

Oh...yea, maybe a reference homage to the director's former boss

Post last edited by Theowne on 01.06.2012, 07:40 PM.

01.05.2012, 09:42 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
leonbloy
Warawara

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by leonbloy Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Wow!! (I've just seen it)
Where did this little gem came from? How is it that is not more known?? I loved it!
More near Takahata than Miyazaki, though, I'd say. Perhaps one step or two below the two masters, but the story is nice, the characters are simple but convincing, and some moments (when the boys build the pond, specially) are touching in a Ghibli way Honestly, I have't feel this with any other thing outside Ghibli (and I find this much superior to Arrietty, not to speak of GedoSenki...)

Beware: though it starts with a Totoro feeling, later the plot gets more layered and with some adult themes; I don't think this movie is directed towards little kids...

Thanks for the recommendation.

Post last edited by leonbloy on 01.05.2012, 10:13 PM.

01.05.2012, 10:09 PM leonbloy is offline   Profile for leonbloy Add leonbloy to your buddy list Homepage of leonbloy
Theowne
Baron

Excellent, leonbloy. Welcome to the fanclub.

I had your same reaction (why is it not well known?), which is why the only thing I could think of doing to help spread the word is post on this forum, hoping that I could slowly bring more fans.

You're right that the story does become a little too serious for very young children to understand. This is a story for audiences to remember the emotions of childhood, both the positive and the negative, in a very nostalgic and touching way.

Spread the word when possible

Post last edited by Theowne on 01.05.2012, 11:57 PM.

01.05.2012, 11:50 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm looking forward to watching the movie just from watching the trailer....

01.06.2012, 01:28 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ooh I really liked the promo! Thanks for the heads-up.

And the guy who directed Black Lagoon is the one who directed Mai Mai Shinko. That'll be interesting. I really enjoyed Black Lagoon but Mai Mai seems to be a very different story.

01.06.2012, 11:35 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
leonbloy
Warawara

I've seen again (actually I've seen it many times, because I wrote down my own subtitles - spanish) and might add:

- the strongest point, for me, is the direction . I must pay attention to this Sunao Katabuchi. Some critics say that the plot is a little manipulative, with too many and cliched themes (the delicate city girl that comes to town and ends making friendship with her opposite type; the "magical fantasy" of children; the bitter end of infancy; the grandfather that tells stories about the past, the connection with our roots). It might be so (I'm not convinced), but the director's treatment was superb.
I wish this guy were in Ghibli to direct some script from Miyazaki...

- some critics also object that the "connection with the past" theme is weak or confusing; I don't get that. Once you understand it's just the girl's fantasy, over a real past background, it's consistent and effective.

- another strong point: the main character. Shinko is so alive and lovable as the best Miyazaki girls (Shizuku or Nausicaa)

- the adult themes: that was very risky (artistically and commercially), and it went (artistically) very well. The scene with the boys at the stairs of the California bar (Shinko shouting to the prostitute, as seen in the trailer) is impresive.

- thumbs up for backgrounds, camera positioning/moving and music

- a minor weak point: the voices are right, but the lip synchronization is poor.

01.13.2012, 07:55 AM leonbloy is offline   Profile for leonbloy Add leonbloy to your buddy list Homepage of leonbloy
Theowne
Baron

Someone with a true talent for direction (storytelling, character-building, and all) is valuable and rare. As you said, it may be true that there are familiar elements in the film - but you would not know it while viewing it, as the director crafts the film in such a cohesive, natual manner that you are swept up in it effortlessly. That kind of gift is not common, and I would say Katabuchi comes closer than any of the new directors at Ghibli itself (Goro, Yonebayashi) to matching the two masters.

Post last edited by Theowne on 01.14.2012, 01:38 AM.

01.14.2012, 12:19 AM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
husky51
The Old Guy

Mai Mai Shinko
OK, I have seen the movie and I LIKE IT!!! I will rewatch it again a couple of times to catch what I will have missed in the initial viewing. Offhand, I liked the overall storyline, the intermingling of past and present. I did see a lot (IMO) of similarities to Ghibli scenes, but that didn't offend me in any way. I enjoyed the artwork and the interactions of the characters. The gradual connection between the two girls, the realities of change in life as far as death and moving from place to place and the separations that it causes. The latter part especially, for me, as I moved a lot when I was a child.

A thumbs up from me!!!

Post last edited by husky51 on 01.18.2012, 12:54 PM.

01.18.2012, 12:52 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
[  1  2  3    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks