QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - princess mononoke
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Ghibli Discussions princess mononoke Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  ]
kellevand
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 07.24.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by kellevand Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by randorp
i belive that they might end up living together cus ashitaka sayed that he was going to help rebuild iron town but he didnt say what he would do after that. he cant go back to his village

I think definitely not. He just can't (or even mustn't) go back - he is dead to his people. Ritual of cutting his hair is, lets say, "one way ticket".
Jiji maybe you are right but I think that if they love each other (btw. are they really in love?) they would find way to live with each other.

Other thing that is intresting for me is "ideological" background of Mononoke. As I read in some article in net Mononoke was made in time when Miyazaki felt some kind od dissappointment with comunism. I perceive Mononoke as condemnation of system, of what human turn world into. If we agree with this way of thinking we should join Miyazaki and condemn system with him. But Miyazaki don't show anything alternative. Maybe he has a vision of better world and if he does I would be content to know anything about it. So, in conclusion coz what i wrote may sound a bit idiotic, I ask u do u know anything about Miyazaki ideology? His philosophy for living?

P.S I read what i wrote and I think that I made "nice" chaotic speach It's hard to say it in Polish (my homeland language) and in English it is even worse :/ Oh **** I'm just rambling to much.

07.25.2005, 12:20 PM kellevand is offline   Profile for kellevand Add kellevand to your buddy list
LillyKimilly
Tanuki

Registration Date: 06.02.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by LillyKimilly Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Firstly hello Kellevand!!!

Secondly Mononoke is my favourite film ever!! Admitedly I felt sad that they didnt get together at the end, but like Jiji pointed out it would have been too Hollywoody.

The wolves I adored..i want my own!!! I also loved the ancient feel the film had..id that makes sense...im a history lover and loved the fact that it wasnt set in modern time...cos i am odd!! teehee
A sequal might ruin it..however Ghibli havnt done any sequals to their movies (have they) so it might be interesting to see what they cook up..however to stay on bthe safe side I hope they dont..

love and cuddles
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

07.25.2005, 12:49 PM LillyKimilly is offline   Profile for LillyKimilly Add LillyKimilly to your buddy list
nanashi
Ohmu

Registration Date: 01.27.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by nanashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

in my opinion, San has her own way of life that differs from Ashitaka's it.
point of view of Ashitaka might be near it of Eboshi than it of San.
Ashitaka can do only at the way of life that lives together nature around human. the way of him is the human protects the nature.
San's way of life means becoming the part of in the nature.
i think that Mr.Miyazaki belongs to Ashitaka group.

many of the forest which are drawn in Mononoke has not been taken care by the human.
The forest, the field and the pond which are drawn in Totoro has been taken care by the human. It is said, "里山 (Satoyama)" in Japanese.

I hearing Poland, I remember that...
Oshii Mamoru made Avalon in Poland.(Wroclaw, Warszawa, Krakow...)

07.26.2005, 01:19 PM nanashi is offline   Profile for nanashi Add nanashi to your buddy list
Shigatsu
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 08.02.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Shigatsu Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hi, im new to this forum....actually i joined so I could download On Your Mark. x.x;
Anyway... I wanted to say that Princess mononoke was my first REAL taste of anime. Before that, all i had seen was Sailor Moon (which i love, dont get me wrong) and Dragon Ball Z. Well....and some wierd ones i watched when i was 4 or 5 years old (back when i didnt even know what anime was).
I was fascinated by the seriousness of it. tangled into the fantasy of demons, curses, and wolf princesses lies a true statment of life and the world. The ending itself is a mark of that statment. In the end, no side wins. And they must live with eachother. Poor Ashitaka is stuck in the middle, with the budding love for San, and the sympathy for Eboshi.

Princess Mononoke was also the first anime I had seen that was Dubbed well. One thing Disney is good at, is hiring good actors. ::pets scully....erm ... gilian anderson::

08.02.2005, 04:09 AM Shigatsu is offline   Profile for Shigatsu Add Shigatsu to your buddy list
Neko Danshaku =^^=
Calcifer

Registration Date: 04.21.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Neko Danshaku =^^= Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hi... Long time no see

quote:
Hi, im new to this forum....actually i joined so I could download On Your Mark. x.x; (Shigatsu)

Yes that's one of the good point of OG! ^^

And I don't like to watch Mononoke in English... just by simple reason... no English spoken in Muromachi era...

08.09.2005, 02:14 PM Neko Danshaku =^^= is offline   Profile for Neko Danshaku =^^= Add Neko Danshaku =^^= to your buddy list
Jiji
Oldie newbie

Registration Date: 01.15.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Jiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hi Shigatsu! Sorry for the belated greeting (^_^;; ). Anway welcome to the forums.

Just like you, the depth and seriousness of Mononoke has never ceased to amaze me. Ever since I have watched it for the first time, it has secured a place in my list of best movies.

My first "real" taste of anime is Totoro, perhaps. Before that I had watched Laputa in the theatre. But at that time I was only 2 or 3. All I can remember about the viewing experience was being beaten up by Dad in the toilet for crying too loudly.

The ending of Mononoke, though leaving some problems unresolved, is nevertheless a truthful representation of the nature of life. Hollywood movies tend to have surprising endings that are logically impractical. While the quality of being subtle and down-to-earth is one of the reasons that I enjoy the Miyazaki movies.

I have never seen the English dub, so I cannot comment on it.

08.09.2005, 08:00 PM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
LillyKimilly
Tanuki

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by LillyKimilly Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hello Shigatsu *gives welcoming hug*

I hope the Dad beating you up was a figure of speach Jiji or he'll have one mean human who thinks she is a cat biting his ear......

I think the subtitles on the UK edition is just the script of the english script which is kinda silly as there is often alot of stuff added or missed out etc... for example in Spirited Away the english dub tells us the white dragon is Haku when we first see it..in the origional we are not told the dragon is Haku until we see the dragon turn into Haku......so in conclusion if im lazy i just have it in english...

love you all

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx kisses forever

Post last edited by LillyKimilly on 08.14.2005, 10:58 AM.

08.13.2005, 03:31 PM LillyKimilly is offline   Profile for LillyKimilly Add LillyKimilly to your buddy list
Jiji
Oldie newbie

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Jiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by LillyKimilly
I hope the Dad beating you up was a figure of speach Jiji or he'll have one mean human who thinks he is a cat biting his ear......

Haha who knows...

For the Engish dubbed versions of the Ghibli movies, though I have yet to watch them, I have seen some articles about them. It is said that those extra stuff (like the Haku-dragon lines) was added for the sake of explaining cultural references that the Western audience usually fail to grasp.

But still, I am not sure if these stuff are really necessary. I prefer to watch movies in the way they made to be, ie their original ways.

08.13.2005, 07:22 PM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
LillyKimilly
Tanuki

i will refrase then....if your Dad did literally beat you up I will....do something.....i dont believe in violence...so i will tell him off politely.....i hope he dont beat you up now Jiji..*hugs very tightly*

Aye the dubs do help when cultural things that i dont understand are explained....eg in the english dub Sen says that it is a bath house the audience is looking at when we first see it....however when i first watched it i didnt know what the building was as i didnt know the japanese character...but i liked the mystery about what the building is and what the dragon is and so on....

i did recently have what my friends call a ghibli fest, where we brought all ghibli films to someones house and watched them all day and night, i didnt know some of my friends liked the films so much or i would have run one sooner!! we managed to see all except pom poko and Lupin 3rd which none of us had but one of my friends Hannah, rich and amazing had imported most of the others and had a multi regional dvd player which was handy..i wont go on anymore as this is off topic...come to think of it most of this post is.....eeek!!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx

08.14.2005, 11:12 AM LillyKimilly is offline   Profile for LillyKimilly Add LillyKimilly to your buddy list
Jiji
Oldie newbie

It is very kind of you to care so much about the others . You definitely fits your role as a love angel . Frankly it's not very uncommon for children to be mildly beaten up here in HK as a form of punishment, but I swear I will never do such to my future son/daughter. And yea, it has been quite some time since the last time I was physically punished. It is much more difficult to beat up a 18-year-old than a 3-year-old.

The idea of Ghibli Fest is really nice . I have never organized similar events before, as I don't have many friends whom are as addicted to Ghibli films as me. You had a very good time, didn''t you ? It is particularly enjoyable to watch your favourite films with your friends . For the Miyazaki Lupin movie, I only have the imported R2 Japanese version, but I there is also a UK release by Manga Video. You may like to see if your local video stores have some copies on sale. You gotta watch it sooner or later, as it is an essential part of any Miyazaki collection. For Pom Poko, there will be a R1 release soon. Hopefully the UK version will be released after that.

http://dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=5001

P.S. seems like there are more and more "x" around...

08.15.2005, 07:13 AM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
LillyKimilly
Tanuki

in the UK there is much debate on the smacking of children and how children should be punished..i think it is now illegal to hit your child with a belt etc or above the waist..i think..im not sure..but parents can be arrested or the child taken away if beatings are severe...i hope that is not the case with you...

yes i have seen lupin on sale but i am not as desperate to see it as i was of the others..

haha i am thrilled i can join in other conversations about films other than princess mononoke and spirited away.......but seeing as this conversation is ment to be dedicated to princess mononoke i will restrain from praising the others...tho truth be told Princess Mononoke is my favourite so far

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

08.15.2005, 10:54 AM LillyKimilly is offline   Profile for LillyKimilly Add LillyKimilly to your buddy list
[  «    1  2  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks